Connect with us

News

Nigeria Replaces SARS With SWAT2 minutes read

Published

on

Following the disbandment of a rogue police unit in Nigeria, the West African country’s Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has created a new department to replace the now-defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

Adamu announced the new unit named Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team on Tuesday in a statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Frank Mba.

The unit, he said, will fill the gaps arising from the dissolution of the defunct SARS.

Mba said recruitment has commenced for operatives of the new unit, stating “prospective members of this new team will also undergo psychological and medical examination to ascertain their fitness and eligibility for the new assignment.

“They are to commence training at the different Police tactical training institutions nationwide, next week.

“While personnel from the Police Commands in the South-East and the South-South will be trained at the Counter-Terrorism College, Nonwa-Tai, Rivers State, those from the Police Commands from the North and the South-West will be trained at the Police Mobile Force Training College, Ende, Nasarawa State and the Police Mobile Force Training College, Ila-Orangun, Osun State, respectively.

“While reaffirming his irrevocable commitment towards the successful and holistic implementation of the Police reforms, the IGP enjoins members of the public, particularly protesting citizens to exercise restraint and allow measures being put in place to come to fruition and engender a Police Force that would meet the yearnings and aspirations of the citizenry.”

The IGP also ordered all operatives of the defunct SARS to report at the Force Headquarters, Abuja for debriefing, psychological and medical examination.

Mba said the order was in accordance with Section 18 (10) of the Police Act 2020.

Mba said the officers are expected to undergo this process as a prelude to further training and reorientation before being redeployed into mainstream policing duties.

“The medical examination will be carried out by the newly set-up Police Counselling and Support Unit (PCSU), a unit, which henceforth shall engage in psychological management, re-orientation and training of officers of the Force deployed for tactical operations and other duties.

“The Unit, which is domiciled with the Force Medical Department and coordinated by the Force Medical Officer, has its membership drawn from amongst psychiatrists, psychologists, medics, pastors and imams, Public Relations practitioners, Civil Society and other Human Rights groups with relevant qualifications and expertise.”

News

140 Migrants Drown Off Senegal’s Coast, Says IOM

Published

on

The United Nation’s International Organization for Migration (IOM) has said no fewer than 140 migrants bound for Europe drowned off the coast of Senegal when their boat sank.

The boat was said to be carrying around 200 people at the time of the incident last weekend.

The boat caught fire and capsized on Saturday, shortly after leaving the town of Mbour, the agency said.

About 60 people were rescued, according to reports.

It is believed the migrants were attempting to reach mainland Europe via Spain’s Canary Islands.

This route from West Africa has grown in popularity since 2018.

Saturday’s incident was the deadliest of its kind anywhere in the world this year, the UN said.

“We call for unity between governments, partners and the international community to dismantle trafficking and smuggling networks that take advantage of desperate youth,” said Bakary Doumbia, IOM’s representative in Senegal.

According to the Spanish government, more than 11,000 arrivals have been recorded in the Canary Islands this year compared with 2,557 during the same period last year.

A previous peak, in 2006, saw 35,000 migrants arrive in the archipelago, the UN said.

At least 414 people are known to have died along this route so far this year according to the IOM. A total of 210 fatalities were recorded on the same stretch in the whole of 2019.

Continue Reading

News

22 Boko Haram Fighters Killed In Failed Bid To Raid Nigerian Army Camp

Published

on

The Nigerian Army killed no fewer than 22 Boko Haram members when the terrorist group attempted to raid a military camp in Damboa, Borno State.

According to a statement by the Coordinator Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche, the Boko Haram fighters attacked Army Super Camp but were subdued by the superior firepower of the troops.

“Troops of Operation FIRE BALL under Operation LAFIYA DOLE has continued to decimate members of the Boko Haram/ Islamic State of West Province in order clear the remnants of the terrorists from the theatre,” the statement read.

“Consequently, on 25 October 2020 in what could appear to be a suicide journey the BokoHaram/Islamic State of West African Province attacked the well fortified Army Super Camp Damboa under 25 Bde in Sector 2.

“The terrorists met their waterloo as they were pounded with superior fire power and additional fire support from the Air Task Force. The criminals withdrew in rout as they could not withstand the well organised and determined soldiers during the encounter”.

The statement added that “the Boko Haram terrorists suffered severe casualties as 22 terrorists were neutralized others escaped with varying degrees of gunshot wounds, 2 Gun trucks destroyed, One NSV Anti Aircraft Gun, 2 Rocket Propelled Grenade Tubes, 4 PKT Machine guns, One General Purpose Machine Gun, One Browning Machine Gun, 12Ak 47 Rifles, One AK 74 Rifle were recovered.


Others were, “one RPG 7 bomb, 116 Rounds of 7.62mm NATO and 2 Hand grenades were recovered from the terrorists.

“Few of own soldiers were wounded in action and have since been evacuated and receiving medical treatment”.

“The troops of Operation Fire Ball under operation LAFIYA DOLE are hereby commended for the resilience, doggednes and commitment exhibited since the beginning of Operation FIRE BALL. They are equally encouraged not to rest on their oars but build on the successes recorded.

“The entire populace of the North East are hereby assured of the Nigerian military high command determination to finally rout the remnants the BHT/ISWAP criminals from their enclaves in this zone.”

Continue Reading

Central Africa News

Militants Kill 18 In DR Congo

Published

on

At least 18 people have died when Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) militants attacked Bayeti village, Mamove locality in Beni territory of the eastern Nord Kivu province in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The attack and killings is the latest incident in a region where the army and UN forces are fighting several armed groups.

The ADF victims, most of them in their homes, were killed by gunshots and knives.

The attackers also set fire to several homes, churches, and businesses at 19:00 local time on Wednesday, they said.

The head of a civil society group in Mamove, Kinos Katuho, said locals had spotted the attackers earlier in the day.

“The residents had seen the enemy [attackers] from midday. We had gone to report to the FARDC [army] elements based in Bayeti, but they were unable to prevent the attack and protect the population,” he is quoted as saying by the Actualité website.

At least 42 people have been killed by the ADF in Mamove since 3 October, Mr Katuho said.

The ADF, whose origin is Uganda, has been blamed for many attacks in eastern DR Congo in the past few years. Many other armed groups also operate in the region.

In the past year, the Islamic State group (IS) has claimed responsibility for several attacks blamed on the ADF.

Continue Reading

Trending