Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari said Monday he had ordered the police and military to be “ruthless” with vote-riggers, as preparations were made for rescheduled elections.
Presidential and parliamentary elections were put off just over five hours before polls were due to open on Saturday, causing widespread anger.
New polls have been rescheduled for this Saturday, while governorship and state assembly elections have been pushed back to March 9.
At an emergency meeting of his ruling All Progressives Congress party (APC) in Abuja, Buhari said he intends to make sure the rescheduled ballot proceeds without a hitch.
“I do not expect anybody to make any disturbance,” he told senior party members. “Anybody who decides to snatch (ballot) boxes or use thugs to disturb it (the vote), maybe this will be the last unlawful action he will take.”
Buhari, 76, said he had ordered “the military and the police to be ruthless” to ensure all Nigerians can vote for their chosen candidate.
“I am going to warn anybody who thinks he has enough influence in his locality to lead a body of thugs or snatch (ballot) boxes or to disturb the voting system, he will do it at the expense of his life,” the president added.
Both the APC and the main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have been accused of wanting to rig the result, notably by buying biometric voter identity cards.
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) blamed the last-minute delay on logistical difficulties in the distribution of election materials, as well as sabotage.
Elections have been delayed before in Nigeria: in 2015, there was a six-week postponement on security grounds linked to the Boko Haram conflict in northeast Nigeria.
In 2011, the election was halted after it had already begun due to problems with the non-delivery of ballot papers, results sheets, and other voting materials.
This year’s election is the sixth in the 20 years since Nigeria returned to civilian rule after decades of military government.
Some 84 million voters are registered.
– Inquiry call -Buhari’s comments came as the APC, PDP and international observers called for calm after the postponement and the PDP said it was a “direct call for jungle justice”.
“It is indeed a licence to kill, which should not come from any leader of any civilized nation,” said party spokesman Kola Ologbondiyan.
Many Nigerians had returned to their home towns and villages to vote, prompting fears they may not return next weekend and turn-out will be low.
Buhari told APC delegates there was no justification for the delay and that questions needed to be answered about “why such incompetence manifested itself”.
INEC chairman Mahmood Yakubu has said the decision to postpone was the commission’s alone and rejected claims of any political interference.
APC chairman Adams Oshiomhole, however, backed a call from his opposite number at the PDP for Yakubu to resign, and accused INEC of “mischief, collusion and double-speak”.
There was a “strong suggestion” the election watchdog had colluded with “anti-democratic forces”, he said, accusing it of warning the PDP in advance about the delay.
PDP challenger Atiku Abubakar’s campaign team has accused the APC of working with INEC and the security services to rig in its favour.
INEC officials across the country meanwhile began reconfiguring the 180,000 electronic machines used to “read” voters cards to account for the new election date.
In the southern city of Port Harcourt, IT personnel were changing the date and other information on about 7,000 machines before Wednesday.
“We are working hard to meet the deadline,” said INEC spokesman Christian Nwokorie. “But the internet connection is a challenge…
“Usually it should take no more than one minute to complete this process but if the network is bad, it can take up to five minutes.”
Batteries on the machines also need to be charged but constant electricity is an issue, he said. INEC has provided generators as back-up, he added.
Ruling party ahead in partial Mozambique election results
The lopsided nature of partial results published could revive fears over the country’s fragile peace deal
Partial results for Mozambique’s high-stakes general election were released on Friday, showing President Filipe Nyusi and his ruling Frelimo party headed for a dominant victory.
The National Electoral Commission (CNE) published the incomplete results as the US embassy in the country said its observers witnessed voting irregularities that it said “strains credulity”.
Frelimo, which has ruled the southern African nation for 44 years, had been widely expected to win the presidential, parliamentary and provincial polls held on Tuesday.
But the lopsided nature of partial results published by the National Electoral Commission (CNE) on Friday could revive fears over the country’s fragile peace deal.
According to the CNE’s running website tally, Nyusi won 75 per cent of the 830,000 votes counted so far — just six per cent of the country’s 13 million registered voters — in the presidential election.
The candidate of former rebel group turned main opposition party Renamo, Ossufo Momade, had garnered 20 per cent.
In the last presidential election in 2014, Nyusi won 57 per cent over 37 per cent for Afonso Dhlakama, Momade’s predecessor.
For the parliamentary election, Frelimo was leading with 70 per cent to Renamo’s 22 per cent out of 750,000 votes counted.
Such a crushing win would be a surprise after Frelimo suffered its worst-ever performance at the ballot box last year, winning 51.8 per cent of votes in local elections.
Before the partial results were released, the third biggest party Mozambique Democratic Movement (MDM) slammed the “shameful electoral process”.
“We confirm that there has been fraud,” the MDM said in a statement on Friday. “These elections were not fair, free or transparent.”
Also on Friday, the US embassy in the capital Maputo said its observers witnessed numerous irregularities during the election and early vote counting.
It gave the example of the southern Gaza province, where local observer groups had reported the presence of 300,000 “ghost voters” — names not aligned with real voters — on the electoral roll.
In a campaign marred by violence, perhaps the lowest point came in Gaza, where a prominent election observer was brutally murdered by members of a special police unit.
The US embassy said its teams noted low turnout at numerous Gaza polling station until mid-afternoon, but results posted on Wednesday claimed turnout was close to 100 per cent.
Such results “would have required, in the final hours of the day, a rate of voter processing of such extraordinary alacrity that it strains credulity,” the embassy said in a statement.
While the embassy agreed with other international observers that voting had been relatively well-conducted, it noted a “lack of rigour” during the vote-counting process.
Frelimo and Renamo signed a peace deal in August hoping to move past a long history of conflict, including a 1975-1992 civil war in which nearly a million people were killed.
As part of the agreement, Frelimo agreed to allow the country’s 10 provinces elect governors for the first time.
Renamo had been tipped to win control of between three to five of the provinces, but the one-sided nature of Friday’s partial results could cast doubt on that prediction.
The CNE is expected to announce the result of the provincial elections on Monday.
The final results of all the polls must be published within 15 days of the vote.
Malawi police probes officers over rape allegations
Rights group, NGO-GCN said that some police officers took advantage of the chaos to sexually assault women
Malawi police on Thursday announced the launch of an inquiry into allegations by rights groups that its officers raped and tortured women during demonstrations over presidential election results.
The usually peaceful southern African country has been gripped by a wave of protests since President Peter Mutharika secured a second term in May.
Riots broke out last week in Msundwe — a trading outpost west of the capital Lilongwe — when opposition supporters blocked a pro-government group from attending a public meeting.
One policeman was stoned to death during the unrest.
Rights group Gender Coordination Network (NGO-GCN) said Thursday that some police officers took advantage of the chaos to sexually assault women in and around Msundwe on the following day.
They urged authorities to “ensure thorough investigation into the following alleged rape, defilement and torture of innocent women and girls”.
Malawi police have since set up a commission of inquiry to investigate the allegations.
“Different professionals…will investigate the matter in a transparent and independent manner,” said police spokesman James Kadadzera in a statement.
“All suspects identified will be treated according to the laws of the land without favour.”
The assaults allegedly took place on October 9 by police officers dispatched to quell the unrest, according to the NGO-GCN.
“Police went to these places on duty because they were in uniform and they used a police car,” said NGO-GCN head Barbara Banda, adding that the officers “threw teargas in every direction”.
“In one instance, the parents of one of the victims was asked to go into another room and the girl was raped.”
Banda told reporters that while three cases of sexual assault had been recorded so far, more could be “unveiled” by the investigation.
Protest organisers Malawi’s Human Rights Defenders Coalition (HRDC), also called for the allegations to be investigated.
“It is shocking that we have the police, who are supposed to protect people, abusing and victimizing women,” said HRDC official Gift Trapence.
Protests have flared in Malawi since Mutharika narrowly won May’s presidential election amid widespread allegations of fraud.
Opposition supporters are demanding the resignation of the electoral commission chairwoman, who they accuse of rigging the vote.
Most demonstrations have turned into violent clashes between groups, with security forces firing tear gas and water cannon to disperse the crowds.
International election observers flag concerns over Mozambique’s polls
The country voted in general polls on Tuesday after a campaign marked by violence and claims of electoral fraud
International observers on Thursday said Mozambique’s election was conducted in an “orderly manner”, but expressed concerns about voter registration irregularities and “an unlevel playing field”.
The country voted in presidential, parliamentary and provincial polls on Tuesday after a campaign marked by violence and claims of electoral fraud.
President Filipe Nyusi’s Frelimo party — which has ruled Mozambique since independence in 1975 — is widely expected to again beat its civil war foe, Renamo, a former rebel group turned main opposition party.
Election day was seen as largely peaceful, but tensions have risen with uncertainty over when the results will be released.
The final results must be published within 15 days of the vote, but the electoral commission has indicated a provisional tally — which had been expected on Thursday — would not be issued.
Ignacio Sanchez Amor, leader of the European Union’s OSCE observer mission, said “voting procedures were well-implemented” on election day.
However, he said the fact that there were no observers in almost half of the country’s polling stations “did not contribute to the transparency of the process”.
Amor added that “an unlevel playing field was evident throughout the campaign”.
“The ruling party dominated the campaign in all provinces and benefited from the advantages of incumbency, including use of state resources.”
The Electoral Institute for Sustainable Democracy in Africa (EISA) said it was regrettable that irregularities in voter registration had not been addressed before the vote.
Local non-profit observer groups had reported the presence of 300,000 “ghost voters” — names not aligned with real voters — on the electoral roll in the southern Gaza province.
“Key aspects of the process such as the security challenges, voter registration, the campaign and selective accreditation of citizen observers posed challenges to the integrity of the elections,” said EISA Mozambique head and former Ghana President John Dramani Mahama.
Former Kenyan Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka said the Commonwealth’s observer mission “remained concerned about the impact” of the suspected ghost voters on the election.
However, observers from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) had no such concerns.
“The pre-election and the voting phases of the 2019 electoral processes were generally peaceful and conducted in an orderly manner,” said Zimbabwean Defence Minister Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri, the SADC observer head.
The election has been seen as a key test of the peace deal sealed in August between Frelimo and Renamo, which fought a brutal 1975-1992 civil war.
Teni, Falz, Burna Boy win big at 2019 Headies award. See full list of winners
Egypt unveils 30 ancient wooden coffins in Valley of the Kings in Luxor
Nigerian town celebrates self-proclaimed title of ‘twins capital of the world’
Young climate activists push for more awareness in Africa
Ruling party ahead in partial Mozambique election results
Nigeria’s “Street Doctor”, Samson Shonowo provides free healthcare for the poor
Egyptian stocks dip after outbreak of anti-Sisi protests
South Africa’s Archbishop Tutu blesses Royal baby
Prince Harry, Megan Markle and baby Archie arrive South Africa for tour
Zimbabwean state media says former President Robert Mugabe died of “cancer”
A walk along the slave routes in Badagry
The #AfricaFirst Pledge with Adebola Afolabi (RezThaPoet)
United Nations #SDGs: A better world with Family planning
The #AfricaFirst Pledge with Efe Paul Azino
Harsh abortion sentences are putting Malagasy women at risk
Politics5 days ago
Nigerian police rescues over 300 pupils from another ‘torture house’
Op-Ed1 week ago
“Sex for grades” – Another sad reminder of our failed education system (Opinion)
Culture & Tourism1 week ago
M.I Abaga vs Vector the Viper: Nigeria’s battle for rap supremacy [Updated]
Politics1 week ago
Dozens of foreigners appeal to UN for deportation from South Africa
Central Africa News1 week ago
Official cargo plane of DRC goes missing with 8 aboard
East Africa Sports News1 week ago
Ineos 1:59 Challenge: Kenya’s Kipchoge says ready to “break the two-hour barrier”
News1 week ago
Eight years on from the Arab Spring Tunisia looks back
Politics6 days ago
Nigeria’s custom chief says Seme border closure has no ‘time limit’