Following an attack by gunmen on Monday night, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has suspended its Abuja-Kaduna train operations.
The NRC announced its decision in a brief statement on Twitter on Tuesday. The attack occurred around the Kateri-Rijana axis of Kaduna on Monday. The train was said to have almost reached Rigasa, its final stop when the assailants struck.
The gunmen were said to have blown up the rail track after which they launched an attack on the passengers.
State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan did not mention the number of death recorded but said dead victims and those injured had been taken to hospitals.
An unspecified number of passengers were said to have been injured during the attack while some were kidnapped.
“The Kaduna State Government received multiple reports of an attack on the Abuja-Kaduna train service at around Kateri-Rijana general areas,” Samuel Aruwan, Kaduna commissioner for internal security, said.
The evacuation of passengers on the trapped Kaduna-bound train from Abuja has been concluded by security forces, Nigerian Red Cross, and the officials of Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA).
The NRC said it would provide further information “in due course”.
“Dear passengers, due to unforeseen circumstances, Train operations along the Abuja-Kaduna route have been temporarily suspended. Further Communication would be given in due course,” it tweeted.
— NIGERIAN RAILWAY CORPORATION (@Official_NRC) March 29, 2022.
Copyright: News Central TV
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.