Connect with us

News

Nigerian Monarch Backs #EndSARS Protests2 minutes read

Published

on

Nigeria’s monarch, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has thrown his weight behind the ongoing protests against the West African country’s rogue police unit, Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

Despite the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, announcing the dissolution of SARS, protests continued across the country with demonstrators demanding the sacking of personnel of the defunct SARS who have brutalised innocent citizens.

The Ooni of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi, said on his Twitter handle – , @OoniAdimulaIfe- on Monday that his 25-year-old daughter once had a nasty experience with SARS operatives that almost cost her life.

The monarch, therefore, stated that he was happy that the youths of Nigeria were finally standing up for their rights.

He said, “I understand your plight, my 25-year-old daughter had a nasty experience with SARS, almost losing her life. On her way to the airport, she was stopped and terribly ransacked and surrounded by fully armed plain-clothes policemen in a bus, detained for close to 30 minutes of thorough questioning.

“Imagine a young female for that matter; all her belongings completely searched all because she was with a laptop on an official assignment from her office in Lagos. I can only imagine the countless ones that have lost their lives from such ordeals, may their souls rest in peace.

“I assure you that this is the beginning of greater things to come in Nigeria. I implore you to demand more, but plead with you to do so in a peaceful manner, as anything outside of that will cause unnecessary havoc for all.”

The monarch said he was aware that some protesters had been unjustly arrested by the police.

He said he would do everything to ensure that they are freed.

Ogunwusi advised the police to understand that the protests would also improve the welfare of men and women of the Force and asked them to see it as such.

He said, “I have been informed of many innocent souls that were arrested and currently being detained, be rest assured that I am pursuing the matter and they will be set free.

“To the men and women of the Nigerian police force, be assured that this movement is also for you, we know you are humans also and your reality is as a result of your environment.

“This movement demands better on your behalf, and is aimed at pushing the government to do better for you and elevate your standard of living. Do not persecute your advocates. God bless Nigerian youths and God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

News

Malawi’s Former Internal Security Minister Jailed Five Years For Abuse Of Office

Published

on

Justice Chifundo Kachale of the High Court in Malawi’s capital, Lilongwe, has jailed a former minister five years for the abuse of his office.

Uladi Mussa, who served as Minister of Home Affairs and Internal Security during the two-year tenure of president Joyce Banda between April 2012 and May 2014, was convicted alongside former senior immigration officer David Kwanjana for aiding foreign nationals to enter into the country illegally.

Mussa had been arrested for his role in aiding foreign nationals fraudulently acquire a Malawian passport and citizenship.

Three former immigration officers who were charged alongside Mussa have also been handed prison sentences of between three and six years.

Justice Chifundo Kachale, who is also Malawi Electoral Commission (MEC) chairperson, presided over the case and found Mussa and others guilty and convicted them, passed the sentence on Thursday afternoon.

Mussa, 55, was found guilty of abuse of public office, neglect of duty and altering false documents alongside former regional immigration officer David Kwanjana.

Two other people, who were co-accused in the case, were acquitted.

Mussa is a former MP who had served in various cabinet portfolios under four different presidents.

Soon after today’s ruling heavily armed police officers warded off journalists who were attempting to seek the ex-minister’s reaction before he was taken to prison, but his lawyer Paul Maulidi said he would appeal against both the conviction and the sentence.

In July last year, the US Government imposed a travel ban against the arrested former minister citing what they termed “credible information connecting Mussa to corruption”.

Continue Reading

News

300 Militants Crossed Into Tanzania From Mozambique – Police

Published

on

Tanzania authorities say over 300 armed men from Mozambique raided a village in Mtwara region of the country, killing a number of locals.

It is the first time the Tanzanian authorities have publicly acknowledged the presence militants from Mozambique in the country.

Northern Mozambique is in the grip of a militant Islamist insurgency that has claimed more than 1,500 lives.

Last week, it was widely reported that conflict had spilled into Tanzania, with a number of villagers killed and on Thursday, the head of Tanzania’s police acknowledged this.

Inspector General Simon Sirro said 300 “terrorists” attacked a village in Mtwara region.

He said that Tanzanians were among the attackers and added that they were arrested before they could flee back to Mozambique.

“We will continue to confront [the attackers] until we are able to trace their network,” he said in a statement.

The Tanzanian government had previously declined to comment on the incident.

The insurgency in Mozambique is now in its third year and the government in Maputo is struggling to contain it.

Continue Reading

News

South Africa’s Police Arrest Public Officials For Inflating Project Costs

Published

on

South African authorities have arrested four former public officials for inflating the cost of a prjoect.

The Hawks, on Thursday, arrested former senior Gauteng Department of Health officials for alleged R1.2 billion tender irregularities committed almost 13 years ago.

The arrested are a former head of department who was also an accounting officer at the time; chief director of information communication and technology; head of supply chain management; and the deputy director for executive support.

They are accused of receiving kickbacks for their role in ensuring the contract was awarded to an undeserving entity and have been charged with fraud, corruption, money laundering and contravention of the Public Finance Management Act.

Police say the case emanates from February 2007 where the State Information Technology Agency (Sita) submitted a proposal to continue with an information technology maintenance programme at the department.

The Hawks’ Lieutenant Colonel Philani Nkwalase said the total cost of a project like that was not meant to be over R57 million for a period of three years.

“The contract was instead awarded to a private entity at a whopping cost of around R1.2 billion without following due tender procedures.

“Two private company directors who unduly benefited from the tender are yet to be charged along together with their two companies. The said directors are reportedly outside of the country but steps have already been initiated to ensure that they are accounted for,” Nkwalase said.

The four appeared in the Palm Ridge Specialised Commercial Crime Court on Thursday.

Continue Reading

Trending