Connect with us

East Africa Politics News

Opposition’s Ramkalawan Wins Seychelles Presidential Election

Published

on

Opposition’s candidate, Wavel Ramkalawan, has been declared the winner of the Seychelles presidential election.

The last time an opposition candidate won the election was in 1977 and winner Ramkalawan reaffirmed a pledge to hike the minimum wage after COVID-19 stifled the tourism-dependent economy.

Seychelles State House said in a statement on its website that Ramkalawan and his Vice-President, Ahmed Afif, will be inaugurated on Monday.

Ramkalawan, a former Anglican priest, defeated President Danny Faure after three decades of unsuccessful runs for the presidency of the East African nation, an Indian Ocean archipelago famed for its natural beauty and rare wildlife.

Ramkalawan captured 54.9 per cent of the votes while Faure got 43.5 per cent in the vote held from Thursday through Saturday, the electoral commission announced.

Ramkalawan promised to continue working with Faure – an unusually good-natured transfer of power for the nearby African continent where many rulers are eliminating term limits and cracking down on political opposition.

“Mr Faure and I are good friends. And an election does not mean the end of one’s contribution to one’s motherland,” Ramkalawan said in his victory speech.

“In this election, there were no losers, there were no winners. Our country was given the opportunity as the ultimate winner.”

As he spoke, Faure sat close by, nodding his head.

In 1977, power changed hands via a coup that led to 27 years of rule by Albert Rene, punctuated by several coup attempts, including one in 1981 by South African-backed mercenaries masquerading as vacationing rugby players.

Faure’s United Seychelles party had been in power over the past 43 years but this was the first time he had faced voters himself.

He was vice president when his predecessor resigned in 2016 after a constitutional amendment was passed limiting presidents to two terms.

Faure’s chances may have been damaged by a severe economic downturn.

Travel restrictions imposed due to the global COVID-19 pandemic mean the Seychelles economy is expected to contract by 13.8 per cent this year, according to the International Monetary Fund.

It is a stunning reversal of fragile progress since the government defaulted on its debt in 2008 and sought an IMF bailout.

Both Ramkalawan, of the Linyon Demokratik Seselwa party, and another opposition candidate, Alain St Ange of the One Seychelles party, had promised voters they would raise the minimum wage.

This week’s election was for both the presidency and parliament.

Ramakalawan’s party will have 20 directly-elected parliament seats and five nominated ones, while Faure’s party will have six directly-elected members and four nominated.

East Africa Politics News

Ethiopian Forces Capture Tigray’s Capital In Final Offensive

Published

on

Ethiopian forces have captured Mekelle, the Tigrayan capital.

Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed announced this in tweets on Saturday, as he said the “Tigrayan criminals” will now be hunted by the Federal Police.

Ahmed on Friday met African envoys in Addis Ababa and reiterated that civilians in the region will not be harmed in the final offensive.

“I am pleased to share that we have completed and ceased the military operations in the #Tigray region.

“Our focus now will be on rebuilding the region and providing humanitarian assistance while Federal Police apprehend the TPLF clique.”

He said the town is now under the control of National Defence Forces, as humanitarian assistance will be provided to inhabitants of the region.

Recall that Ethiopia earlier announced that a Tigrayan town, Wikro, 50km north of Mekelle has been captured.

Tigray officials are yet to react to the Prime Minister’s claims as the region has been cut off from internet and phone access.

Both forces have been at daggers drawn since the 4th of November when Ethiopia accused Tigrayan forces of attacking state properties.

Continue Reading

East Africa Politics News

Police Probe Killing of Over 45 Ugandans in Kampala Protests

Published

on

The Police in Uganda have kicked off an investigation into the crackdown on protesters last week, that led to the death of over 45 people.

Supporters of the National Unity Platform presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi, also known as Bobi Wine, had protested his arrest and detention by authorities for breaching COVID-19 protocols at his campaign rallies. Local and international media reports say

the demonstrations were met with a violent crackdown by the police.

Bobi Wine has since been released and is now back on the campaign trail.

Police spokesperson, Fred Enanga, however, said that investigation into the deaths will “identify mistakes” that led to the “collateral damage”.

Meanwhile, the European Union has already called for a “full and independent” investigation into the role of the police in the death of the protesters.

The EU – in a joint statement with the diplomatic missions to Uganda from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden as well as Iceland and Norway – added that the perpetrators must be held accountable for their actions.

The statement read; “… the deaths of dozens of people amidst widespread violence marred the electoral campaign on 18th and 19th of November. We offer our sincere condolences to the families of the victims, reportedly including innocent bystanders.”

Last week, Uganda witnessed rioting, chaos as well as disproportionate use of force by security services. The Government of Uganda and its institutions have the responsibility to ensure the safety, security and dignified treatment of all citizens, including electoral candidates and their supporters, in line with national laws and Uganda’s international human rights commitments.

The statement went on to urge all political parties and electoral candidates to call upon their supporters to refrain from violence and inflammatory language, and to take firm action to end any provocation or incitement to violence or any unlawful action. All political parties, candidates and their supporters should ensure the full implementation of the COVID-19 Standard Operating Procedures and the relevant regulations designed to curb the spread of the virus.

The launch of a full and independent investigation into the events of 18th and 19th of November has been proposed, to ensure justice for victims and to avoid impunity for the perpetrators who must be held accountable for their actions.”

Continue Reading

East Africa Politics News

Uganda Jails Former Presidential Aspirant Three Years for Abusing Judges

Published

on

Ivan Samuel Ssebadduka, a former presidential aspirant in Uganda, has been jailed three years by the country’s Supreme Court for using abusive language against the judges, including calling them a “council of fools”.

The 36-year-old was jailed for contempt of court and will spend the next three years in Uganda Government Prison Kitalya.

Ssebadduka had in September filed a petition at the Supreme Court, seeking to stop a requirement for presidential aspirants to collect nomination signatures.

He also wanted the court to suspend the coronavirus safety restrictions issued by the health ministry on the conduct of campaign rallies.

He used the offensive remarks while defending the petition before the judges.

Chief Justice Alfonse Owinyi-Dollo was quoted as saying that criticism against judges should be accurate and fair, and should not infringe on the the rights of others.

On November 11, local media reported that Ssebadduka, a week after he was summoned by the Supreme Court to explain why he shouldn’t be found guilty for contempt of court after using abusive language against Judges, followed up with more insults. He described the Justices as incompetent, saying the accusations of contempt of court are baseless because the justices can’t challenge him legally.

“We didn’t offend you or you’re so-called Supreme Court because it is not a court in the first place. It is a Council of fools…” Ssebadduka’s response to the summons read in part.

He added, “It is very unfortunate that we entrust you with the judiciary because you don’t deserve to be judges. A judge must have judgment but it is very unfortunate that you don’t have common sense, which is common”, reads his response in part.

After the ruling, Ssebadduka was immediately handcuffed by security and driven to his next home of three years.

The Supreme court decision in Uganda is final as it is the last appellate court in the country, and unless the justices choose, for some reason, to review their decision or Ssebadduka gets a presidential pardon, he will be expected to serve his entire jail term.

Continue Reading

Trending