Polio epidemic resurfaces in Angola after years without cases

Polio epidemic resurface in Angola after years without cases

Angola recorded an outbreak of polio this week after almost a decade without cases of the paralysing viral disease, the government said.

The highly infectious condition mainly affects children under the age of five. It attacks the nervous system and can lead to total paralysis, or in some cases death.

“After seven years without polio we are unfortunately confronted with a difficult situation,” Angola’s health minister Sante Silvia Lutucuta said on Monday, at the launch of a new vaccination campaign in the capital Luanda.

“We have recorded 44 new cases in ten of the country’s 18 provinces,” she added.

The vaccination campaign is expected to reach 2.5 million children aged five and under.

Your Friends Also Read:  How Soldiers Allegedly Beat Up Female Shiite Members, In Abuja

Read: Ebola death toll crosses 2,000 mark in DR Congo

“All children must be protected by three doses of the oral anti-poliomyelitis vaccine,” said Lutucuta, adding that the campaign would span over two weeks to “control the epidemic”.

Two out of three strains of the wild poliovirus have been eradicated so far, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).        

While only 33 wild polio cases were reported globally last year, vaccine-derived polio still breaks out sporadically in some parts of Africa and Asia. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended that all travellers to Angola be fully vaccinated against the virus. 

Your Friends Also Read:  Party Shops Left with Surplus Supplies as Seychelles Ban Balloons

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
ADF rebels claim lives in Democratic Republic of Congo

ADF rebels claim lives in Democratic Republic of Congo

Next Article
Burna Boy's "Africans Unite" concert in South Africa cancelled following outrage

Burna Boy's "Africans Unite" concert in South Africa cancelled following outrage

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App