Risk of Serious Ebola Outbreak after attacks in DR Congo

Attacks have severely hampered efforts to fight Ebola in recent days
A health worker at an MSF (Doctors Without Borders) facility in DR Congo
A health worker waits to handle a new unconfirmed Ebola patient at a newly build MSF (Doctors Without Borders) supported Ebola treatment centre (ETC) on November 7, 2018 in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo. – The death toll from an Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has risen to more than 200, the health ministry said on November 10, 2018. (Photo by John WESSELS / AFP)

Health authorities in DR Congo warned Friday of a “serious” new Ebola outbreak after a medical centre at the heart of the epidemic was attacked.

Aid agency Doctors Without Borders (MSF) temporarily suspended treatment in two centres in Butembo city and Katwa district, both in the northeast of the country, after they were struck by arson attacks on Wednesday and Sunday.

Butembo is the epicentre of DR Congo’s latest Ebola outbreak.

“Unidentified assailants set some of the compound’s facilities and vehicles on fire,” MSF said in a statement Thursday. “The blazes were contained, but the teams were obliged to immediately cease patient care.”

No staff or patients were harmed, but the carer of one patient died in the attack in Katwa, MSF said.

Your Friends Also Read:  Developing Story: NAF Alpha Jet Goes Missing

“Both attacks were traumatic for patients, their relatives and staff who were inside the centres at the time,” MSF said.

Last month, the agency suspended non-essential work in part of eastern DR Congo after gunmen abducted two of its local staff.

Attacks have “severely hampered” efforts to fight Ebola in recent days, the Congolese health ministry said this week.

“These two incidents have caused enormous disruption to activities,” it said in a Friday update. “There may well be a serious new outbreak of cases in health zones in Katwa and Butembo in the coming days.”

DR Congo is fighting its 10th Ebola epidemic in the eastern North Kivu and northwest Ituri provinces.

Your Friends Also Read:  Chelsea Owner Roman Abramovich Sanctioned by UK Government

At least 490 people have died since last August, according to the health ministry.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Tanzania: Diplomats query suspension of The Citizen Newspaper

Next Article
Scene of the attack in Somalia

More bodies recovered after 20-hour siege in Somalia

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App