Rival forces agree to Eid Al-Adha truce in Libya

Forces battling for control of Libya’s capital agreed to a truce Saturday, on the eve of the Muslim festival of Eid Al-Adha
n of file pictures shows Libya's unity government Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj (R) and Khalifa Haftar, (L)
This composition of file pictures shows Libya’s unity government Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj (R) during a graduation ceremony for new coastguard cadets in Tripoli on January 3, 2019 and Libyan Strongman Khalifa Haftar, who heads the rival government that operates from the eastern Libyan city of Bayda, at a military parade in Benghazi on May 7, 2018. – The head of Libya’s internationally recognised government and the military strongman who backs a rival administration in the country’s east have met in the Emirati capital Libya has been torn between rival administrations and a myriad of militias since the NATO-backed overthrow and killing of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011. (Photo by Abdullah DOMA and Mahmud TURKIA / AFP)

Forces battling for control of Libya’s capital agreed to a truce Saturday, on the eve of the Muslim festival of Eid Al-Adha, but a car bomb killed two UN staff in the eastern city of Benghazi.

Military strongman Khalifa Haftar’s forces announced that they would implement a ceasefire after the unity government conditionally accepted the truce for the three-day holiday which starts Sunday.

Haftar’s self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA) has been fighting since early April to seize Tripoli from the UN-recognised Government of National Accord. 

The United Nations had called on both sides to commit to a humanitarian truce by midnight on Friday.

Haftar’s spokesman Ahmad al-Mesmari on Saturday announced “a halt to all military operations… in the suburbs of Tripoli”.

Mesmari said the truce had gone into effect at 3:00 PM (1300 GMT) on Saturday and would last until the same time on Monday afternoon.

The GNA had said late Friday it was keen to “ease the suffering of the citizens and allow rescue workers to accomplish their mission” and would accept “a humanitarian truce for Eid al-Adha”.

But it listed several conditions, saying the ceasefire must be observed “in all combat zones, with a cessation of direct and indirect fire and movement of troops”.

Your Friends Also Read:  Senegalese protesters arrested for kicking against Covid-19 curfew

It also said the truce must include “a ban on flights and reconnaissance overflights” across the country’s entire airspace.

The GNA also called on the UN mission in Libya (UNSMIL) to “ensure the implementation of the truce and note any breaches”. 

Haftar’s spokesman said the ceasefire was “out of respect for this occasion’s place in our spirits… so that Libyan citizens can celebrate this Eid in peace”.

Benghazi bomb

But in Haftar-controlled Benghazi, a car bombing killed two UN staff — a Libyan and a Fijian –– as a UN convoy passed through a shopping area, a security official said.

At least eight other people, including a child, were wounded in the attack.

Thick black smoke rose from the area and firefighters rushed to put out the flames that gutted two cars, including a white vehicle like those used by the UN.

No side had claimed responsibility for the blast.

The UN’s Libya envoy Ghassan Salame called the incident a “cowardly attack”.

It “serves as another strong reminder of the urgent need for Libyans to stop fighting, set aside their differences and work together through dialogue and not violence to end the conflict,” he said in a statement.

Your Friends Also Read:  Sudan Government Set to Sign Peace Deal With Rebel Group

The European Union called the attack “contemptible and a further worrying development in the Libyan crisis”, urging all sides to abide by the UN-brokered truce.

The blast came just months after the UN reopened its offices in Benghazi, which had been closed for security consideration, and less than a month after a car bombing at the funeral of an ex-army commander killed at least four people and wounded more than 30 others.

Haftar’s forces have controlled Libya’s second city since 2017, when he drove hardline Islamists and jihadists out after a three-year battle.

But Benghazi, the cradle of the NATO-backed 2011 uprising that overthrew and killed dictator Moamer Kadhafi, has seen repeated attacks both before and since.

One attack on the US consulate on September 11, 2012, killed US ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

A May 2018 attack left seven people dead.

A Libyan lawmaker is also feared to have been abducted by an armed group in the eastern city, the UN and lawmakers said in July.

Haftar, who backs an eastern-based administration that opposes the Tripoli-based unity government, advanced into the country’s desert south this year before turning his sights on Tripoli.

Your Friends Also Read:  Protest leaders to reveal civilian ruling body in Sudan

Over the past four months, 1,093 people have been killed in the fighting and 5,752 wounded, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), while more than 120,000 people have been displaced.

Forces loyal to the GNA are keeping Haftar’s troops at bay on the southern outskirts of the city.

UN envoy Ghassan Salame had already called several times for humanitarian truces, without success. 

In a video conference with the UN Security Council late last month, Salame warned against mounting tensions and called for a ceasefire for Eid Al-Adha. 


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Two UN personnel killed in Benghazi by car bomb

Two UN personnel killed in Benghazi by car bomb

Next Article
A Tanzanian security officer controls the area where the carcass of a burnt out fuel tanker is seen

Tanzania mourns 69 who were killed in fuel tanker blast

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App