Connect with us

News

Rusesabagina Family Holds Presser Over His Kidnap and Illegal Detention2 minutes read

Published

on

Rusesabagina Family

The family and legal team of Paul Rusesabagina will hold a press conference on Thursday morning at 10:30 am E.D.T; 4:30pm South Africa time.

Rusesabagina, the international human rights icon whose incredible story of saving 1,268 people during the Rwandan Genocide was told in the film “Hotel Rwanda”, was kidnapped from Dubai and is being detained illegally in Rwanda.

Thursday will mark one month since Rusesabagina was captured, and his family and legal team will present updates on his case to urge people to act.

Rusesabagina is a beloved hero to many. He is a Belgian citizen, US resident, and has been honored across the world for his continued advocacy, including being awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005.

His kidnapping and detention have sparked international outcry and concern from human rights observers, including from the American Bar Association and the Clooney Foundation For Justice.

While being held in Rwanda, he has been subjected to a kangaroo trial on false terror charges. The seemingly positive Rwandan regime has a history of setting up or even “disappearing” activists and opponents. The regime has not only denied Rusesabagina access to his international counsel, but also forced him to use government-appointed lawyers, supervised all interactions, and is now holding him without bail.

Read also Rwandan Genocide Here Denied Bail

His family continues to be concerned about the blatantly illegal circumstances of his detention and for his health. Paul is a cancer patient in remission and has cardiovascular health issues that require daily medication.

He appears visibly ill and has not been allowed access to an examination from the Red Cross. Rusesabagina’s legal team and loved ones used the one month anniversary of his detention to share updates about the status of his case and new efforts to secure his release.

A press conference has been planned on Zoom and will be broadcast on Facebook and Twitch a live streaming platform for gamers.

News

Lagos Governor Awards Scholarship to Children of Policemen Killed During #EndSARS Violence

The Lagos State Governor added that the hospital bills of officers who were injured during the violence will also be covered by the state government.

Bernard Akede

Published

on

The Lagos State Governor

The Governor of Lagos State , Babajide Sanwo-Olu has awarded scholarships to children of Police officers who were killed by hoodlums during #EndSARS violence in Lagos.

The governor directed the Lagos State Scholarship Board to award scholarship to the children of the slain officers up to the university level.

The Lagos State Police Command bore huge loss in terms of personnel, armoury and properties in the violence.

The Governor of Lagos State said the State Government would also be compensating family members of the officers killed in the violence and that their burial arrangements will be taken care of.

The Lagos State Governor and his deputy standing alongside senior police officers in Lagos

The Governor 0f Lagos State added that the hospital bills of officers who were injured during the violence will also be covered by the state government.

In the same light, The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike also pledged some compensation to police officers and their families who affected by the violence that followed the #EndSARS protest.

Wike announced that the sum of N20 Million will be given to the families of each of the soldiers and police officers killed by members of proscribed Indigenous Peoples Organization of Biafra (IPOB) in Oyigbo last week.

The Governor of Rivers State also promised to rebuild all burnt police stations in Oyigbo and vowed to ensure that the terrorist organisation no longer exist in Rivers State.

Wike stated this during a condolence visit to the Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mukan and families of the slain policemen at the Rivers State Police Command on Wednesday.

“IPOB masterminded the killing of our gallant officers of the Nigerian Police and Army. We want to state clearly that Rivers State Government will support you to make sure that any of the perpetrators of this hideous crime does not go free. Enough is enough. You cannot continue to kill our policemen who have not done anything; who have not committed any crime,” the governor said.

Wike further assured the Commissioner of Police that the State Government will rebuild all police stations burnt by IPOB, and provide necessary support to police officers whose residence were vandalised and rendered homeless.

In response, the Rivers State Commissioner of Police Joseph Mukan thanked the governor and said that the Police and the Army have taken over all IPOB’s stronghold in Oyigbo and will ensure that the group cease to exist anywhere within the State.

Continue Reading

News

Mtwalo Msoni on South Africa’s Budget

Published

on

Continue Reading

News

NC REPORTS | Muktar Muhammed on Ngozi Okonjo Iweala

Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is on track to become the first female DG of the World Trade Organisation. An investment analyst, Muktar Muhammad highlights the road ahead of her

Published

on

Continue Reading

Trending