Rwanda has arrested a rebel leader behind a string of deadly attacks

Callixte Nsabimana is accused of forming “an irregular armed group, complicity in committing terrorist acts.
Rwanda
Rwanda’s President Paul Kagame reacts in front of a wreath for the 25th Commemoration of the 1994 Genocide at the Kigali Genocide Memorial in Kigali, Rwanda, on April 7, 2019. – Rwanda on April 7, 2019 began 100 days of mourning for more than 800,000 people slaughtered in a genocide that shocked the world, a quarter of a century on from the day it began. (Photo by Yasuyoshi CHIBA / AFP)

The Rwandan government said Tuesday it had arrested a rebel leader alleged to be behind a spate of deadly attacks in a forested area near Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Callixte Nsabimana is accused of forming “an irregular armed group, complicity in committing terrorist acts… taking persons hostage, murder, and looting,” a government statement said.

Nsabimana is the spokesman for the National Liberation Front (FLN), an armed group which has claimed responsibility for numerous attacks in Nyungwe, a region popular among tourists coming to see endangered mountain gorillas.

The FLN is affiliated with the Democratic Liberation Forces of Rwanda (FDLR) — a rebel group based in the DRC which carries out cross-border attacks on Rwandan forces.

Your Friends Also Read:  Meet South Africa’s First Black Billionaire Gunning For CAF Presidency

Nsabimana has claimed responsibility for the attacks via social media, claiming that his rebel group’s agenda was to topple long-serving President Paul Kagame.

Rwandan officials declined to provide further details about the date of his arrest or when he will appear in court.

“We have had him for not for a long time, and not for a short time,” Minister of Foreign Affairs, Richard Sezibera told a press conference Tuesday.

In December last year, Nsabimana claimed responsibility for setting fire on passenger buses in Nyungwe Forest, which led to the death of two people and many injuries.

“He has been arrested and brought back here,” said Sezibera.

Your Friends Also Read:  Magashule Corruption Case Postponed to November 3, 2021

The attacks in Nyungwe prompted many western countries such as France, Germany, Canada and Australia to advise their nationals against travel to the area.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares
Previous Article
Boko haram attack in Nigeria

21 killed in fresh Boko Haram village attack in -Residents

Next Article
cyclone mozambique

Aid delivery to Mozambique Cyclone survivors hampered by bad weather

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App