Connect with us

News

Rwandan Genocide Hero, Rusesabagina, Picks Lawyers For Terrorism Trial2 minutes read

Published

on

Rwandan genocide hero, Paul Rusesabagina, has chosen the legal representatives in his going trial in his home country.

Rusesabagina, whose ‘heroics’ inspired the film Hotel Rwanda about the 1994 genocide, been charged with terrorism and murder among other 13 counts.

Vincent Lurquin, one of the lawyer he reportedly chosed, who is based in Belgium, announced this on Thursday.

Up to now, he has been represented in court by two lawyers, whom his family said were picked by the prosecution.

Mr Rusesabagina has not yet entered a plea on the charges.

Lurquin told journalists on Thursday that he received a letter from Mr Rusesabagina during a recent visit to the Rwandan capital, Kigali, in which he picked Mr Lurquin and Gatera Gashabana from a list of seven names drawn up by his family.

But the two lawyers were reportedly denied access to their client.

“I don’t see why Rwanda blocked me from seeing and assisting my client, a Belgian citizen, on a case that started in Belgium,” Mr Lurquin said.

Rusesabagina was denied bail early this month and is detained at a prison in Kigali.

Rusesabagina, who has become a high-profile government critic and has been living in exile for years, appeared last month under arrest in Kigali in murky circumstances, with his family alleging he was kidnapped abroad.

Prosecutors on Monday hit him with 13 charges including terrorism, financing and founding rebel groups, murder, arson and conspiracy to involve children in armed groups.

“The court finds that the charges by the prosecution against Rusesabagina are grave and serious,” Judge Dorothy Yankurije said as she blocked his bail request on Thursday.

“The court ordered that Rusesabagina be detained provisionally for at least 30 days pending his trial.”

Rusesabagina, who had asked to be released to seek medical care, immediately announced he would appeal the decision.

The 66-year-old Rusesabagina is a cancer survivor and suffers from a heart condition and hypertension, requiring chronic medication, his family have said previously.

“The health concerns brought by Mr Rusesabagina are baseless since he does not show how being in detention prevents him from accessing all the medical attention he needs,” the judge said.

News

Egypt’s Prime Minister Explores Archeological Shaft in Saqqara; Details of the Grand Excavation to be Announced

Published

on

Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouly, Minister of Tourism and Antiquitues Dr. Khaled El-Anany, and Secretary-General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) Dr. Mustafa Waziri have inspected excavation works of the Egyptian mission in the Saqqara Necropolis.

The mission unearthed three archeological shafts in which are buried a large number of sarcophagi that have been unopened for over 2,500 years, in addition to wooden, colored and gilded figurines and other archeological finds made of gold.

The discoveries will be announced at a press conference in Saqqara in the coming weeks after documenting the finds.

Descending the shaft

Madbouly, El-Anany, and Waziri descended down one of the shafts to inspect the new discoveries in a gesture from Madbouly to laud the efforts of the SCA mission.

The prime minister commended the efforts of the minister of tourism and antiquities, and the shaft employees for their efforts in making regular discoveries.

El-Anany in return thanked Madbouly for the support and attention the government is giving to archeology, which have led to these discoveries in Egypt, in addition to other unprecedented achievements to inaugurate archeological projects that were hailed the world over.

El-Anany disclosed that five museums will open before the end of 2020.

Madbouly expressed his pride in Egypt’s unique civilization.

It is worth noting that the Egyptian archeological mission has made a number of significant discoveries in Saqqara, the most recent of which was unearthing 59 colored sarcophagi that contained well-preserved mummies of officials and priests from the 26thDynasty. The discovery was announced at an international press conference in early October 2020.

Continue Reading

News

#ENDSARS Protest: President Buhari Maintains Silence, Hoodlums Go on Rampage

Published

on

ENDSARS BUHARI MAINTAINS SILENCE

Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, has ordered the withdrawal of all police officers attached to Very Important Persons across the country with immediate effect.

This comes after the destruction of government and private owned property across states in the country.

Places destroyed includes the BRT bus terminals , TVC Communications and the nation newspaper headquarters, banks and government-owned facilities and at least 10 police stations were attacked in Lagos state.

Curfews have been imposed in Lagos, Plateau, Ondo, Ekiti, Osun, Rivers, and Edo States, where two prisons were broken in controversial circumstances amid the protests.

Governor Godwin Obaseki, has issued a 48-hour ultimatum to fleeing inmates from the Medium Security Correctional Centres on Sapele Road and at Oko, Airport Road, to return to the prisons.

President of Ghana, Nana Akufo-Addo, has called for dialogue between the Nigerian government and #EndSARS protesters.

Global rights group, Amnesty International for their part opined that the killing of #EndSARS protesters by the military must be investigated.

President Muhammadu Buhari has continued to stay mute amid the chaos in several parts of Nigeria and widespread criticisms.

Continue Reading

News

Guinea Opposition Supporters Clash with Police

Published

on

Guinea post election clash with police


Young supporters of opponent Cellou Diallo, who has declared himself the winner of the presidential election, have clashed with police in the Wanindara district of the country’s capital Conakry.

Although African election monitors say the election was conducted properly, the political opposition to incumbent Alpha Conde, who has already claimed victory, dismissed it as fraudulent.

Preliminary results for four of the country’s 38 voting districts released by electoral commission chief Kabinet Cisse shows a strong lead for Conde over his main challenger Cellou Diallo.


In three of the four districts, Conde secured more than the 50 percent needed to avoid a runoff .


The opposition campaign has been setting the stage for an election dispute, with Fofana accusing the government of “large-scale fraud” in counting ballots from the hotly contested October 18 poll.


Conde, 82, is seeking a controversial third presidential term, a move that has triggered months of deadly unrest in the West African country.

Continue Reading

Trending