Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, the governor of Nigeria’s commercial nerve centre, Lagos State, has announced plans to abolish pension payments for former leaders of the state.
A repeal of the Public Office Holder (Payment of Pension Law 2007), which provides for payment of pension and other entitlements to former governors and their deputies, would affect political heavyweights like Bola Ahmed Tinubu; the present Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Raji Fashola, and other individuals that served as governors and deputy governors in Lagos State.
Sanwo-Olu made the announcement while presenting the 2021 budget to the Lagos State House of Assembly.
Sanwo-Olu said the bill will be sent back to the Lagos State House of Assembly to formally repeal the law.
He was quoted by the Lagos State Commissioner for Information, Gbenga Omotoso as saying, “Mr Speaker and Honourable Members of the House, in light of keeping the costs of governance low and to signal selflessness in public service, we will be sending a draft executive bill to the House imminently for the repeal of the Public Office Holder (Payment of Pension Law 2007), which provides for payment of pension and other entitlements to former Governors and their Deputies.”
Uganda Police Probe Killing of Over 45 Protesters
The Police in Uganda have commenced an investigation into the crackdown on protesters last week, that led to the death of over 45 people.
Supporters of the National Unity Platform (NUP) presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi, also known as Bobi Wine, had protested his arrest and detention by authorities for breaching COVID-19 protocols at his campaign rallies. Local and international media reports claimed that the demonstrations were met with a violent crackdown by the police.
Bobi Wine has since been released and he is back on the campaign trail.
Police spokesperson, Fred Enanga, however, said that investigation into the deaths will “identify mistakes” that led to the “collateral damage”.
Meanwhile, the European Union has already called for a “full and independent” investigation into the role of the police in the death of the protesters.
The EU – in a joint statement with the diplomatic missions to Uganda from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden as well as Iceland and Norway – added that the perpetrators must be held accountable for their actions.
The statement reads, “The deaths of dozens of people amidst widespread violence marred the electoral campaign on 18th and 19th of November. We offer our sincere condolences to the families of the victims, reportedly including innocent bystanders.
“Last week, Uganda witnessed rioting, chaos as well as disproportionate use of force by security services. The Government of Uganda and its institutions have the responsibility to ensure the safety, security and dignified treatment of all citizens, including electoral candidates and their supporters, in line with national laws and Uganda’s international human rights commitments.
“As we move forward in the electoral process, we urge all political parties and electoral candidates to call upon their supporters to refrain from violence and inflammatory language, and to take firm action to end any provocation or incitement to violence or any unlawful action. All political parties, candidates and their supporters should ensure the full implementation of the COVID-19 Standard Operating Procedures and the relevant regulations designed to curb the spread of the virus.
“A full and independent investigation should be launched into the events of 18th and 19th of November, to ensure justice for victims and to avoid impunity for the perpetrators who must be held accountable for their actions.”
South Sudan Launches Fresh Attack on SPLA-IO Base
South Sudan’s army has on Thursday launched a fresh attack against forces of the main armed opposition group and peace partner, SPLA-IO
South Sudan’s army on Thursday launched a fresh attack against forces of the main armed opposition group and peace partner, SPLA-IO at the Morota Unified Training centre.
The deputy spokesman of the SPLA-IO in Juba, Colonel Lam Paul Gabriel said the attack was ordered by General Moses Lokujo who defected from the group to join the SSPDF in September.
According to Colonel Gabriel “this morning November 26, at about 6:00am, the defected force of Maj. Gen. Moses Lokujo who is now under the command and control of the SSPDF attacked the SPLA-IO component of protection force for Morota Unified Training Centre, in complete violation of the permanent ceasefire.”
The statement also confirmed the death of one SPLA-IO soldier and two others injured as the fighting continues.
Last week, the ceasefire monitoring body, CTSSAM-VM identified General Lokujo as being responsible for the recent displacement of civilians around Kajo-Keji area. He was also accused of blocking access to a military training camp.
The revitalized peace deal expects all the parties to desist from actions that may obstruct or delay the provision of humanitarian assistance, protection of civilians, or restrict the free movement of people.
The armed opposition group further urged the SSPDF to cease attacks against it while urging that security mechanisms established under the revived peace agreement be implemented to halt the attacks.
He called on the SSPDF command to restrain Maj. Gen. Lokujo from incessant attacks against the SPLA-IO.
“It should also be noted that the forces in Morota Training Centre are not only SPLA-IO forces but a component of the unified forces under the command and control of the JTSC and JDB. Therefore, attacking this force is not only a violation but a direct attack against the Security Arrangement in particular and the R-ARCSS in general.”
Burkina Faso President Roch Kabore Wins Re-election
President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré of Burkina Faso has been re-elected to lead the West African nation for another five years.
Preliminary results from the National Independent Electoral Commission (CENI) on Thursday showed Kabore won 57.9% of the vote, while main challengers, Eddie Komboigo and Zephirin Diabre, got 15.5% and 12.5% respectively.
The President required over 50% to avoid a second round.
Burkina Faso’s election, held on November 22, was reportedly marred by insecurity that prevented a lot of people in the West African country from voting.
The main opponents had accused Kabore, who was elected in 2015, of failing to contain terrorist and ethnic violence which forced 1 million people to flee their homes during his first term.
Kabore’s opponents have raised concerns about the validity of the vote count, but the electoral commission has dismissed those allegations.
Nigeria Receives 600-year-old Ife Terracotta Head Repatriated From The Netherlands
Uganda Police Probe Killing of Over 45 Protesters
Hisbah Bars Radio Station From Saying “Black Friday” In Northern City Of Kano
African Finance Ministers To Discuss Payments System For AfCFTA
Ivory Coast’s Pepe Shines As Over 30 Africans Feature In Europa League
Ethiopia’s Singer, Teddy Afro, Begs For Peace
Popular Nigerian cleric, Prophet Israel Oladele Ogundipe Jailed for Fraud
Zimbabwean Millionaire, Ginimbi, To Be Buried With Dollars
Made In Lagos Or A Better Time
NC Reports // Cameroon’s Anglophone Crisis
Diego Maradona: The “Magic Footballer”
Business Edge| Kenya Seeks $2.3 Billion Loan from IMF to Aid Economic Recovery
Nigeria’s Monetary Policy
Entertainment Post Covid | Nigerian Cinemas Count Losses
Business Edge | Petroleum Industry Bill Passes Second Reading in the House of Representatives
East Africa News3 days ago
Kenya’s Kenyatta University Beats UK’s Oxford In Law Competition
Art5 days ago
I did not cheat on 9ice – Ex-wife, Toni Payne Reveals
Politics3 days ago
15 African Countries Restricted from U.S. Travel as Trump Imposes New Rules
News3 days ago
Egyptian Actor, Mohamed Ramadan to Face Trial over Photograph with Israeli Singer
Politics4 days ago
#EndSARS Protest Is Legitimate, Destroying Government Properties Isn’t – Minister
Entertainment2 days ago
From Suicidal Thoughts to Grammy Nomination; Story of a Nigerian-American Hip Hop Star
Art5 days ago
9ice Begs His Wife Over Cheating Scandal, Toxic Or Not ?
Art5 days ago
Charly Boy’s Reactions To His Daughter, Dewy Oputa’s Allegations Of Him Being A Clout Chaser.