Connect with us

News

Shops, street sweepers, others resume in Sudan after civil disobedience call-off4 minutes read

Hundreds of people queued outside bank automatic teller machines (ATMs) for hours on Wednesday morning

News Central

Published

on

Passengers wait for their shuttle at the main bus station in Khartoum, linking the Sudanese capital with various parts of the country,

Street sweepers and queues at bank cash points returned to Khartoum Wednesday after protesters called off a civil disobedience campaign that had brought Sudan’s capital to a standstill. “We have returned to work and there is a lot of garbage on the streets,” said sweeper Mohamed Adam, as he tackled a pile of trash in a street in southern Khartoum.

“This will take a long time and effort to clean” up, Adam, dressed in a green t-shirt, jeans and a cap, said. Waste had piled up in Khartoum’s key squares and almost all districts in recent days as many street sweepers took part in the civil disobedience campaign that began on Sunday.

Related: Sudan uprising: Protesters agree new talks with the military, ends civil disobedience

Sewerage has also seeped onto the streets during the shutdown. Protest leaders launched the initiative after a brutal crackdown on demonstrators on June 3 that left dozens dead outside army headquarters in Khartoum. On Wednesday, garbage trucks traversed the streets of the capital, particularly around hotels and embassies in upscale districts.

Municipality workers clean up the streets in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on June 12, 2019.
Municipality workers clean up the streets in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on June 12, 2019. – Shops began to reopen in Sudan’s capital but many residents stayed indoors even as demonstrators called off a nationwide civil disobedience campaign launched after a deadly crackdown in Khartoum killed dozens. As a breakthrough came after mediations led by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, who visited Khartoum last week, the United Nations Security Council called on the ruling generals and protest leaders to resolve the crisis triggered by the June 3 crackdown on protesters. (Photo by – / AFP)

And hundreds of people queued outside bank automatic teller machines (ATMs) for hours on Wednesday morning, seeking to access modestly replenished cash stocks. But cash within the banking system remains in short supply.

“I have been waiting for three hours now to withdraw 1,000 pounds ($ 21),” said Mahmoud Salah, as he stood in a queue outside an ATM in the northern district of Bahari, a bastion of protests. “That’s a lot of time for a very small amount. We want the central bank to solve the issue” of strict limits on cash withdrawals. “For months we have been waiting like this.”

Buses run but with fewer passengers as civil disobedience ends

Similar scenes were visible in several areas of Khartoum as residents came out to withdraw money and buy staples after shops began to reopen. Witnesses also reported queues outside ATMs in Port Sudan, a key economic hub, and towns including Madani, Al-Obeid and Gadaref.

In Port Sudan a ship left the dock at around 9:00 am (0700 GMT), while two others were being loaded, a witness told reporters by telephone. “The city’s main market is open but there are queues outside bank ATMs,” a resident from Port Sudan said.

Initial protests across Sudan erupted in December due to a worsening economic crisis led by soaring food prices and an acute shortage of foreign currency. The crisis further deepened when local banks put limits on cash withdrawals through ATMs, angering residents.

Residents of Khartoum queue outside a bank to withdraw money in the Sudanese capital
Residents of Khartoum queue outside a bank to withdraw money in the Sudanese capital on June 12, 2019. – Shops began to reopen in Sudan’s capital but many residents stayed indoors even as demonstrators called off a nationwide civil disobedience campaign launched after a deadly crackdown in Khartoum killed dozens. As a breakthrough came after mediations led by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, who visited Khartoum last week, the United Nations Security Council called on the ruling generals and protest leaders to resolve the crisis triggered by the June 3 crackdown on protesters. (Photo by – / AFP)

Many backed the protest movement that finally led to the ouster of longtime president Omar Al-Bashir on April 11. On Wednesday, even as the civil agitation was called off, many residents stayed indoors – wary of returning to work amid a heavy deployment of security forces, including the feared Rapid Support Forces.

Related: Businesses resume after day one of Sudan’s civil disobedience

Protesters and witnesses accuse RSF personnel of leading the crackdown on demonstrators on June 3. Khartoum’s main bus terminal, which sends buses between the capital and other parts of the country, was functioning on Wednesday, an AFP correspondent reported, though there were not many passengers.

“The movement of buses and passengers is still less than usual,” said Gamal Omar, a ticket seller at the terminal. “I think people will start returning from this weekend. The civil disobedience has ended today, but most people will return to work only after the weekend.”

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

News

Nigeria reopens economy, worship centres as flights resume June 21

A News Central investigation showed that the government had barely no choice than to drastically reopen the economy as most Nigerians were already violating the lockdown measures and the police seemed to have lost control of enforcement.

Published

on

File photo of President Muhammadu Buhari in an address at the State House, Abuja.

The Nigerian government on Monday further announced the relaxing of Covid-19 lockdown that has shuttered the economy for more than two months.

Under the phase two reopening, the ban on the banking sector, religious gatherings and closure of markets were lifted with the earlier national curfew revised between 10pm to 4am, the Presidential Task Force on Covid-19 announced Monday at a briefing in the capital, Abuja.

A News Central investigation showed that the government had barely no choice than to drastically reopen the economy as most Nigerians were violating the lockdown measures with the connivance of some sections of security agencies like the police who were mostly being bribed by commuters and drivers to pass through checkpoints on interstate highways despite the ban on interstate travel.

Most small businesses and worship centres in suburbs of state capitals including the nation’s capital, Abuja were also operating unhindered in what seemed like the authorities had lost control of the lockdown, residents said. The rule on compulsory use of facemask was also being violated as many refused to use such measures except after sighting policemen or local taskforce operatives.

Cabinet Secretary, Boss Mustapha who heads the Taskforce said President Muhammadu Buhari had also approved that domestic flights should resume on June 21 and directed airlines to take between 50 and 70 per cent of passengers on any flight.

The PTF said the aircraft of most airlines were currently being serviced in preparation for the June 21 resumption date for domestic flights.

– Local flights to resume –

Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika at the briefing also said the airfares of flights would be proportionate to the current global realities facing the aviation industry due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

“The modality of operations by airlines and the passenger numbers will certainly drop and the load factor will also drop. Only 50 or 70 per cent of the passengers should be taken. These are some of the things that we have been looking at”, Sirika announced.

Sirika said the three-week period between June 1 and the resumption date would enable operators to adhere to all the necessary industry regulations, without which they would not take to the skies after being dormant for some time.

“This is because aviation, unlike other sectors, is a highly regulated sector,” he said.

The minister said consultations had been on and would continue between the ministry and industry stakeholders on the best ways to operate profitably while at the same time ensuring the safety of travellers.

Sirika had earlier cautioned owners of private aircraft who had been in the habit of asking for permits to fly within the country despite the restrictions in place to desist, as the restrictions were still in place, except for those on essential services.

Director General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu at a national briefing of the PTF on Covid-19 in Abuja. Twitter/@NCDCgov

– Banks, markets reopen –

National Coordinator of the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19, Dr. Aliyu Sani said the full reopening of the financial sector, restricted opening of worship centres will be granted by the 36 states and capital, Abuja subject to the PTF guidelines.

The announcement injected a new lease of life into big businesses and SMEs that had remained shut over the months.

Banks were given immediate clearance to operate fully. Hotels got the nod to reopen “but must observe all mandatory non-pharmaceutical intervention”.

“The goal of phase two over the next four weeks is to balance public safety with protecting livelihoods as well as allowing the full restoration of economic activities across the country”, Sani said.

“We are not opening places of worships across the board. We are saying that opening is conditional and it is based on these clear-cut guidelines and would only cover regular church and mosque services.

“The nationwide curfew will remain in place but the timing of this will be reduced to 10pm to 4am. The purpose of the curfew is to limit social interactions and therefore reduce the risk of transmission of the virus”, Dr Sani said.

The government also announced that “all interstate travels by individuals remain prohibited except for essential travels and the movement of goods and services. All restrictions on the free movement of goods and services is now removed in this phase.”

– Not yet uhuru on Covid-19 fight –

Despite the new relaxation of Covid-19 lockdown rules, the government said it was “still safer to stay at home and avoid crowds. The pandemic is not over in this country and the relaxation of some of the rules doesn’t mean that it is safer to go out. If you do not need to go out please continue to stay at home.”

“The mass gathering of more than 20 people outside of the work place or places of worship remains prohibited. In terms of general movement, persons may go out for work, go to buy necessary food and for exercise provided that they abide by the curfew hours”, officials announced.

Schools however remain closed as the federal authorities said they were yet to reach a decision on the matter but made some concessions.

“The Federal Ministry of Education has been instructed to work with school owners to prepare students that require exiting exams to allow them to take exams early in the next phase of the lifting of the lockdown”, PTF’s Sani said.


Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

News

UN condemns use of IEDs against civilians in Libya

“UNSMIL strongly condemns these acts, which serve no military objective, provoke extreme fear among the population, and violate the rights of innocent civilians…,” the UN said.

Published

on

A man inspects the wreckage of a car outside the Khadra General Hospital which is dedicated to treating people infected with coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Libyan capital Tripoli on April 8, 2020, after it was targeted by forces loyal to Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar. (Photo by Mahmud TURKIA / AFP)

The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has condemned the use of improvised explosive devices against civilians in the southern part of Tripoli, as the armed conflict between the east-based army and the UN-backed government continues.

UNSMIL “is extremely concerned about reports that residents of the Ain Zara and Salahuddin areas of Tripoli have been killed or wounded by improvised explosive devices placed in or near their homes,” UNSMIL said in a statement Monday.

“UNSMIL strongly condemns these acts, which serve no military objective, provoke extreme fear among the population, and violate the rights of innocent civilians who must be protected under international humanitarian law,” the statement said.

UNSMIL called on all individuals to “seek information and heed security advice to stay away from areas that have not been declared safe to enter by a competent authority or items of unknown origin which may be explosive devices”.

UNSMIL also commended the search and clearance work by Libyan Police and Military Engineers, reaffirming its continued support to Libyan partners, communities, and stakeholders “who are working tirelessly to rid Libya of the threat of explosive remnant of war (ERW)”.

The UN-backed government’s forces accused the rival east-based army of planting mines before withdrawing from conflict areas in southern Tripoli.

Since April 2019, the east-based army has been leading a military campaign attempting to take over Tripoli and topple the UN-backed government.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

News

Strike looms as public sector wage dispute enters arbitration in South Africa

Published

on

The ongoing face-off between workers in the public sector and the South African government continues. According to the Public Service Coordinating Bargaining Council (PSCBC), disagreement between the trade unions and government has moved the talks to arbitration for further hearing.

PSCBC General Secretary, Frikkie De Bruin explains that the arbitration hearings will begin by mid-June. An arbitrator will issue an award after the hearings are complete, with the matter potentially heading to court or resulting in a strike if the unions aren’t happy.

Ordinarily, public sector workers make up a third of South Africa’s expenditure. But with the coronavirus lockdown and income reduction, Pretoria seems unwilling to incur more debt.

If not handled carefully to appease the workers, the ruling African National Congress, (ANC) could lose its political dominance in the next local elections.

If no resolution is reached and the workers decide to resolve it an industrial action, it could erode all effort made by the government in the fight against the coronavirus.

The dispute started in February when the government affirmed that it could not fulfil its 2018 agreement on a three-year wage agreement.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Trending