Soldiers’ alleged sex abuse of refugees may not be probed: Amnesty

Nigeria’s parliament vowed to investigate the report’s findings, which documented patterns of rape, starvation and arbitrary detention
Armed Terrorists Attack Nigeria’s North East Community (News Central TV)
Soldiers of the 7th Division of the Nigerian Army prepare to leave Maiduguri in a heavily armed convoy on the road to Damboa in Borno State northeast Nigeria on March 25, 2016. – On April 14, 2014, Boko Haram militants kidnapped 276 schoolgirls from their dormitories at the Government Girls Secondary School Chibok, drawing global attention to the Islamist insurgency in northeast Nigeria. (Photo by STEFAN HEUNIS / AFP)

The Nigerian government has failed to investigate the alleged sexual abuse by security forces of thousands of women who have fled Boko Haram jihadists to aid camps around the country, Amnesty International said Friday.

Amnesty, in a report coinciding with  International Women’s Day, reiterated allegations that security forces and emergency workers prevent the refugees from leaving the camps in search of food and basic necessities.

The situation leaves the women vulnerable to harassment and sexual exploitation, the group said.

“We have long documented that women are being made to exchange sex for food and livelihood opportunities by members of the security forces just to survive and feed their children,” said Osai Ojigho, director of Amnesty International Nigeria.

Your Friends Also Read:  Central African Republic Elects New President

The women are “on the verge of losing hope of ever getting justice,” 

she said, criticising a lack of investigation of alleged abuses.

Amnesty had already accused the Nigerian army, in a May 2018 report, of sexually abusing civilians in its fight against Boko Haram, raping women and girls in refugee camps in the northeast of the country in exchange for food.

The report titled “They Betrayed Us” was based on more than 250 interviews of women living in aid camps in Borno — the state most affected by the insurgency– with many alleging rape by soldiers.

Thousands of men were arbitrarily detained or disappeared as they fled fighting in late 2015, the report said, with many women unsure whether their husbands and sons were dead or alive.

Your Friends Also Read:  Nigeria's Ebonyi State Outlaws University Unions

The army vehemently denied the accusations, and have since described the rights group as an “enemy of Nigeria”.

Nigeria’s parliament vowed to investigate the report’s findings, which documented patterns of rape, starvation and arbitrary detention by military and aid officials in the northeast.

In the statement released Friday, Ojigho said authorities had failed to help detainees’ family members to obtain information on their whereabouts.

“The denial of information to those who approached the military for information has caused mental suffering that constitutes ill-treatment under international human rights law,” she said.

A decade since the start of Boko Haram’s insurgency, much of the besieged northeastern region of Nigeria is still in crisis, with some

Your Friends Also Read:  Mali’s Leaders Resign During ECOWAS Meeting

1.8 million people displaced and reliant on food and humanitarian assistance.

The conflict has claimed at least 27,000 lives.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Zimbabwe lays out external debt repayment plan

Next Article

'No worries' on Bouteflika's health - Campaign manager

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App