Connect with us

News

South Sudan Man On Trial For Slaughtering His Three Cousins3 minutes read

Published

on

A South Sudan man has been dragged before the courts for allegedly killing three siblings at their home in Juba, the capital of the North African country.

The siblings, all girls, were identified as Lydia Edward, 9, Blessing Edward, 7, and their 4-year-old sister Nura Edward. They were killed two months ago in a gruesome murder that shocked the nation.

Twenty four years old Babu Emmanuel Lokiri killed the siblings – who are his cousins – by slashing their throats with a knife, the Juba High Court heard.

Lokiri was brought before the court alongside his mother, whom investigator alleged attempted to help her son coverup the crime.

The lead police investigator on the case, Colonel George Lado Wani, read Lokiri’s statement confessing to the gruesome crime to the court.

“I am Babu Emmanuel Lokiri, 24 years old and a resident of Rock City, a fourth-year student of the University of Juba, faculty of medicine,” the statement by the suspect read in part.

“On Saturday at about midday, I went to the home of my uncle who is close to my mother. I usually go there. When I went there I had a knife with me. When I knocked on the door, the middle daughter of my uncle came and opened the door.

“I found them watching television. I then put my phone to charge. I asked them where their mother was and they said she had gone out. When my phone charged a bit, I pocketed it. They were watching children’s programs and I asked them to change the channel and they refused.

“I then asked them for the television’s remote control unit and they said there was no remote control unit. I then got angry at the second born and cut her on the right side of her neck. She ran in the direction of her bedroom. I followed her and cut her throat. I found the eldest girl in the bedroom and slaughtered her.

“I also found the young one on the bed sleeping and also cut her throat and cleaned the knife on bedsheets. I then closed the door and walked out. I opened the gate and when there was no one, I opened it and closed it behind me and walked to our home which is just across the road. I then threw the knife away and immediately went to my bedroom.”

Asked by the lead police investigator if the statement that was read back to him in court was voluntarily given, the Lokiri said yes.

The mother of the accused, Alice Noel, denied any involvement.

Asked if she washed the blood-stained clothes her son was wearing when he killed the three sisters, she said, “I washed some clothes but the only item among them that belonged to my son was a pair of his shorts. It is not possible that Babu would go to the home of the children in shorts.”

The prosecuting team presented in court exhibits and material evidence like the knife used in the commission of the crime and video clips demonstrating the crime.

Presiding Judge, Duoth Kulang, adjourned the case to next Monday and said there would be hearings on all working days until the case is disposed of.

News

Nigeria’s NECO Postpones Certificate Exams Indefinitely Over Crises

Published

on

An examination body in Nigeria has postponed a certificate exam indefinitely over the different crises in the West African nation.

Azeez Sani, the spokesman of the National Examinations Council (NECO), in a statement on Sunday, said the decision to postpone the ongoing Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations (SSCE) indefinitely was reached by the governing board of the council last week after it reviewed the conduct of the on-going 2020 examination nationwide.

The statement read, “The Governing Board of the National Examinations Council at its Special Meeting held on Thursday, 22nd October, 2020 reviewed the on-going 2020 SSCE (internal) nationwide,” it read.

“The Council had in a press release, dated 21st October 2020, informed the general public of rescheduling some papers of the 202 0 on-going SSCE.

“Arising from that meeting, today (Sunday) the Governing Board resolved that the 2020 SSCE (Internal) be postponed indefinitely in view of the current security challenges, occasioned by the ENDSARS protests, which disrupted the smooth conduct of the examinations in some parts of the country.

“In making this decision, the Board noted that due to these security challenges, some state governments imposed curfew and closed schools in order to safeguard lives and property;

“In the circumstances, it has become difficult for the council to move examination materials across the country and students in the affected locations were unable to sit for the papers already scheduled in the examination timetable.

“The Governing Board further resolved, that when normalcy returns, the Council will continue with the conduct of the examinations in all States.

“While regretting any inconveniences this postponement may cause our esteemed stakeholders, the Council has however taken this decision in order to maintain the integrity and security of its examination procedures for seamless conduct of the Council’s examination.”

News Central reports that NECO had initially rescheduled its examinations scheduled for Oct. 22, 23 and 24 to November, owing to insecurity and curfew imposed by some states during the #EndSARS protests.

Continue Reading

East Africa News

COVID-19: Rwanda makes EU “safe list”

The move follows a review under the recommendation on the gradual lifting of the temporary restrictions on non-essential travel into the EU.

Bernard Akede

Published

on

the European Union

According to a statement from the European Union Council on October 22, Rwanda has been listed by the European Union, among the countries on which Covid-19 travel restrictions into the EU territory should be gradually lifted.

The move follows a review under the recommendation on the gradual lifting of the temporary restrictions on non-essential travel into the EU.

Some of the criteria which the European Union considers for lifting travel restrictions on third countries (countries that are not members of the EU as well as countries whose citizens do not enjoy the European Union right to free movement) include their epidemiological situation and containment measures, including physical distancing, as well as economic and social considerations.

Some of the other countries from which the restrictions have been lifted are Singapore, South Korea, Australia, Japan, Uruguay, Thailand, and New Zealand.

This now means that Rwanda is the only country in African to feature on the list.

The EU Council’s statement, however, indicates that this list will continue to be reviewed regularly and, as the case may be, updated.

In addition, the statement also says that European Union Council recommendation is not a legally binding instrument.

To this end, the authorities of the member states are responsible for  implementing the content of the recommendation, where they may, in full transparency, lift only progressively travel restrictions towards the listed countries.

In the past few weeks, Rwanda has been reporting progress in the fight against Covid-19. As of today, Rwanda has recorded a total of 5,062 cases of which 4,806 have recovered and 34 have died.

Continue Reading

News

Five Soldiers, Four Others Die In IPOB, Security Operatives Clash In Nigeria’s Rivers

Published

on

No fewer than nine people have died in Nigeria’s Rivers State during a clash between security operatives and the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

The clash, which occurred at Oyigbo and other parts of the state, was said to have claimed the lives of five soldiers and four IPOB members.

The soldiers were part of a joint security team – which included some policemen – deployed to quell IPOB activities in Oyigbo, Rumuokwurusi and other flashpoints areas.

The IPOB members were said to have engaged the security team in a shoot-out from Thursday night till Friday morning.

Rivers State Governor, Mr Nyesom Wike, had on Friday condemned IPOB activities despite the 24-hour curfew imposed on the Oyigbo council area.

“We were all witnesses to yet another orgy of violence and destruction inflicted by IPOB at Oyigbo Local Government Area and some parts of Port Harcourt City Local Government Area on Tuesday, October 20, 2020,” the governor said, adding: “This evil, wicked and audacious action resulted in the unnecessary loss of lives, including soldiers and police officers, and the destruction of both public and private properties, police stations, court buildings and business premises.”

Meanwhile, the state police command said two cops were killed, four police stations burnt and over 50 vehicles set ablaze by suspected IPOB members who attacked the Oyigbo community and other areas in the state.

The state Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mukan, stated this when he led commanders of other security agencies in the state to the Oyigbo council area on Saturday.

In a statement by the spokesman for the state police command, Nnamdi Omoni, the CP had ordered a full scale investigation into the incident with a view to appending and prosecuting the culprits.

The statement stated, “The Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mukan today (Saturday) led commanders of the sister security agencies in the state to Oyigbo council area where hoodlums suspected to be members of the proscribed IPOB under the guise of #EndSARS protests invaded Oyigbo Area Command, Oyigbo, Afam and Umuebulu Police stations where they attacked the policemen on duty and burnt down the four police formations.

“In the course of the attacks, over 50 vehicles were burnt, including one Armoured Personnel Carrier, killing two policemen who were hacked to death and set ablaze.”

Mukan condemned the attack on public and private property, describing it as ‘ill-conceived, most unfortunate and an ill wind that would blow no one any good,’ while condoling with the families of the slain operatives.

Continue Reading

Trending