Tunisian Judge Detains Crew of Ship That Sank Off Its Coast

A Tunisian judge has detained seven crew members of a commercial ship that sank off the coast of the southern city of Gabes this month, a judicial official said on Wednesday, as authorities investigated whether the ship may have been deliberately sunk.

Tunisian officials said this month that the ship, the Xelo, sank while heading from Equatorial Guinea to Malta carrying up to 1,000 tonnes of oil and the Tunisian navy had rescued all seven crew members.

Officials later said a specialized diving team sent to counter a potential environmental disaster found the ship cargo did not contain fuel, but rather was empty.

A spokesman for the Gabes court, Mohamed Karay said the investigative judge issued a detention decision against the ship’s crew.

Your Friends Also Read:  Top ISWAP Commander killed in Clash With Boko Haram Insurgents

Karay had previously said an investigation was being conducted to determine if the ship sank under normal circumstances or was sank to obtain compensation from insurance companies, and to look into the possibility of oil smuggling.

The crew of the ship were four Turks, two Azerbaijanis and one from Georgia.

The crew claimed the ship’s route documentation had been lost, and that there was a conflict in the information they provided, Karay said.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Tunisian Journalists Rebuff New Head of State News Agency

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
4
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Ethiopian Authorities Arrest Four Over Hotel Bomb Attack

Next Article
China Congratulates South Africa on 28th Anniversary of Freedom Day (News Central TV)

China Congratulates South Africa on 28th Anniversary of Freedom Day

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App