Connect with us

East Africa News

UNICEF Asks Somalia To Approve Child Rights Bill

Published

on

The United Nations children’s fund (UNICEF) on Friday called on the Somali authorities to approve the Child Rights Bill to better protect children in the country.

UNICEF and the Ministry of Women and Human Rights Development, in a joint statement issued in Mogadishu, vowed to push for the ratification of the Child Rights Bill, which is awaiting approval by the cabinet.

Jesper Moller, UNICEF acting representative in Somalia, said all children in Somalia deserve to fully realise their rights, especially their right to protection and education.

“If children are able to learn, safe from harm, they will gain the skills and knowledge they need to become agents of change and help contribute to creating a peaceful society,’’ Moller said in a statement issued in Mogadishu as the world celebrates the 31st anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC).

Once the cabinet approves the bill, it will go to parliament for debate and adoption.

When passed, UNICEF said, it will result in the most comprehensive child-focused legislation in Somali history.

In 2015 Somalia ratified the CRC, which spells out the basic human rights that children should have wherever they live, including their right to develop to the fullest, to education and to be protected from exploitation.

UNICEF said the Child Rights Bill demonstrates the commitment of the government to ensure the articles under the CRC are upheld.

Join our newsletter


East Africa News

Militants Ambush, Kill 25 Mozambican Soldiers

Published

on

Villages in Mozambique's northern region grapple with faceless jihadists

No fewer than 25 members of the Mozambique Defence Armed Forces (FADM), including a colonel and a major, died in an ambush by Islamist militants in Matambalale village in the district of Muidumbe, local media reports have said.

According to reports, 15 others were injured in the ambush.

A group of military personnel were on manoeuvres in that region when the incident happened on Sunday, according to local media.

The victims were part of a group sent to that district to reinforce security after last week’s attacks where homes were set ablaze and residents killed.

The army has not been available to confirm or deny the reports.

The three-year insurgency has killed more than 2,000 people and displaced about 500,000 others in Cabo Delgado, according to official statistics.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

East Africa News

Lightning Kills Four In Mozambique

Published

on

No fewer than four people have been killed by lightning strikes in Mozambique’s western province of Tete, the Institute for Disaster Management (INGC) announced on Wednesday.

News Central reports that Tete shares a border with neighbouring Malawi.

According to the institute, the victims include an elderly woman and a three-year-old child. One other victim was seriously injured and a residence set ablaze.

The incident follows a rainstorm accompanied by strong winds that left a trail of destruction in southern Mozambique.

Tete’s National Disaster Management Institute delegate, Alex Angelo, said the torrential rain also caused damage in Maputo province on Tuesday and early Wednesday morning.

He added that thunderstorms, wind and heavy rain brought down trees and power poles and damaged public infrastructure in the districts of Matola, Boane and Marracuene.

The storm also destroyed homes, uprooted trees and electricity poles and blew away the roofs of some schools and a local prosecutor’s office.

The destruction occurred mainly in four districts within the province.

The meteorological authorities predict the bad weather may continue for four more days.

The situation is likely to cause flooding in the cities of Beira and Dondo, which were devastated by cyclone Idai last year, and cause erosion in Chimoio.

Meteorologist Acacio Tembe says the torrential rains are beginning a week earlier than expected and they will continue for long.

He added that the rains may cause the flooding of the Buzi and Pungue rivers.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

East Africa News

Tigray: Ethiopia, U.N Reach Agreement On Provision Of Aids

Published

on

The Ethiopian government and the United Nations (U.N) have reached an agreement on the provision of access to humanitarian aids.

This was revealed by U.N officials on Wednesday, as they claim that the Ethiopian government has agreed to the provision of aids in Mekelle, the Tigrayan capital.

Ethiopia and Tigray, a powerful region in the north of the country, have been at loggerheads since the 4th of November.

The Ethiopian government accused the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) of destroying public properties and wreaking a havoc on the state.

This led to battles between the giant of the Horn of Africa and the rebellious Tigrayan forces.

The UN, through its refugee agency, warned about the lean supply of food to the more than 100,000 refugees in Ethiopia. At least 46,000 Ethiopians have also taken refuge in neighbouring Sudan, where they are short on food supply, according to the U.N.

Read also: UN Seeks $147m Support For Ethiopians In Sudan

Also affected in the food crunch are refugees in Eritrea, Ethiopia’s closest neighbours.

African envoys had called for a truce amid the Ethiopian government’s rejection of mediation from the international community.

Mister Abiy Ahmed, the Prime Minister of Ethiopia said on Monday that Mekelle has been captured, as he revealed that no civilian was hit in the process.

His claims were however rejected by the leader of the TPLF, Debretsion Gebremichael who claimed that the Ethiopian government hit civilians in its onslaught on Mekelle.

The TPLF has refused to back down from its conflict with Ethiopia, denying that the battle is not over, contrary to the claims of Mister Ahmed.

Ethiopia is gearing up for its election in 2021, with political matters forming a part of the reasons for the ongoing conflict.

Mister Ahmed postponed the Ethiopian elections in August, citing COVID-19 as the reason for the decision. The TPLF has accused the Prime Minister of illegally leading government by buying himself more time through postponement of the election.

The TPLF ruled Ethiopia for 27 years before the emergence of Mister Ahmed in 2018.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Trending