One of the most difficult things for women when getting their makeup (when there are no makeup tips) done by themselves is getting their foundation shades right.
Most times, the shade appears correct but the texture is all wrong, leaving them with a ‘cakey’ finish or simply a dripping hot mess! Sometimes, it oxidizes during the day and leaves an ashy shade.
It’s almost like we never win! Well, we spoke to some makeup artists to get tips that would save you from this recurring facial misadventure.
5 Best Makeup Tips
Here are some recommendations that could come in handy when you go makeup shopping, unsupervised.
1. Know your skin type
Sometimes, your skin can be oily, dry or a combination of both. Whilst knowing your skin type will not automatically help you pick your right shade, it would help you know the right foundation type for you.
To narrow down your options:
- Choose cream or stick foundation if you have dry skin
- Choose a matte finish or oil-free liquid or powder foundation if you have oily skin.
- Choose a powder foundation if you have combination skin
- Choose a foundation that offers full or medium coverage if you have an uneven complexion and want to cover most of your skin
2. Test under natural light
Find a door or window to see how the foundation holds up in daylight. Sometimes, what you see isn’t always what you get.
3. Test before buying
Choose the foundation shade that looks closest to your skin tone. Test by swathing on your jawline (it is the closest to your natural tone and would show you better how the foundation matches against your neck).
The idea here is to find one that blends in perfectly, not one that you can easily see.
The best foundation will disappear into your skin and provide an even canvas for your other makeup application.
4. If it’s broken (or wrong), fix it – of the very essential makeup tips
Some of us have multiple bottles of wrong shades of foundation- too light or too dark. Don’t throw them away because you now know the shade is wrong. Fix it and use it!
When it is too light, customize to get your right shade by mixing the foundation with a darker shade of concealer, foundation or powder.
When it is too dark, mix with a lighter shade.
5. Choose a Beauty Store that has artists or beauty experts
They would help you narrow down your options and even teach you some cool tricks.
Some other helpful makeup tips:
- Change makeup sponges regularly if you use them to apply foundation because they can harbour germs and bacteria.
- Always remove makeup and apply moisturizer before bed. Your skin will repair itself when you sleep.
There are over 21 shades of foundation and 15 shades of powder to choose between.
Hopefully, with our tips and tricks, you would find your match in this mix and maze of shades.
Now you never have to use your face as a permanent testing ground. Find your match and make your move.
The views expressed in this piece are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect News Central TV’s editorial stance.
Copyright: News Central TV
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.