Connect with us

News

West Africa’s Exam Body, WAEC, Withholds 215,149 SSCE Candidates’ Results In Nigeria

Published

on

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) says results of 215,149 candidates are being withheld over alleged various forms of examination malpractices.

The council’s Head of National Office (HNO), Mr Patrick Areghan, made this known at a news conference on Monday in Lagos.

Areghan also said that results of candidates from the Chibok Local Government Area of Borno were among the 1, 538,445 candidates that sat for the 2020 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) for school candidates.

Areghan described the experience of conducting the examination in Chibok for the first time since the abduction of over 200 girls in the area by Boko Haram insurgents six years ago as “interesting and gratifying”.

According to him, a total of 1,549,740 candidates, registered for the examination from 19,129 recognised secondary schools in the country.

Giving breakdown of the candidates’ performances, the WAEC chief said that results of 215,149 were being withheld in connection with various cases of alleged examination malpractices.

He said the cases were being investigated, adding that reports of the investigations would be presented to the appropriate committee of the council for determination in due course.

“The committee’s decisions will be communicated to the affected candidates through their schools,’’ Areghan, said.

He said that a total of 1, 456, 727 candidates had their results fully processed and released, while 81,718 others have a few of their subjects still being processed due to errors traceable to them.

The WAEC chief said that efforts were on to speedily complete the processing to enable the affected candidates to get their results fully processed and released subsequently.

Areghan added that of the figure that sat for the examination, 1, 338, 348 candidates, representing 86.99 per cent, obtained credit and above in a minimum of five subjects, that is, with or without English Language and, or Mathematics.

“Also, of the figure that write the examination, 1, 003, 668, representing 65. 24 per cent obtained credits and above in a minimum of five subjects, including English Language and Mathematics,’’ he said.

According to him, a total of 4, 280 candidates, with varying degrees of special needs, were registered for the examination, out of which 230 are visually challenged, 745 with impaired hearing and 2,852 with low vision.

He added that 38 others were spastic cum mentally challenged with 58 others that are physically challenged.

“All these candidates with special needs were adequately provided for in the administration of the examination.

“They results of these candidates have been processed and released along with those of other candidates,” he said.

Areghan said that there was an improvement in the result of the candidates, in spite of the challenges that characterised the writing of the examination.

Attributing the achievements to improved facilities and e-learning, he said that candidates who had fulfilled their financial obligation to the council could access their performance on the website.

Areghan said that the examination was also administered to candidates from some schools in Benin Republic, Côte d’Ivoire and Equatorial Guinea, where the country’s curriculum for Senior Secondary Schools were being used.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business News

Nigeria Stock Exchange | All-Share Index and Market Capitalization increased by 2.19%

Published

on

Nigerian Stocks ended last week on a bullish run cumulatively. The All-Share Index and Market Capitalization increased by 2.19% to close the week at 34,885.51 and N18.228 trillion respectively. We had, on News Central Now, the CEO of TrustBanc Asset Management Limited, Oluwaseun Adesoye join Sulaiman Aledeh to discuss this.

Continue Reading

News

The Big 5 Review | 30 – 11 -2020

Published

on

Continue Reading

News

Malaria Death Toll to Exceed COVID-19 Deaths in sub-Saharan Africa – WHO

More than 409,000 people globally; most of them children in the impoverished parts of Africa were killed by malaria last year, the WHO said in its latest global malaria report, and COVID-19 will almost certainly make that toll higher in 2020.

Published

on

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned that, due to disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic, malaria deaths will far exceed those killed by COVID-19 in sub-Saharan Africa.

More than 409,000 people globally, most of them children in the impoverished parts of Africa, were killed by malaria last year, WHO said in its latest global malaria report, and COVID-19 will almost certainly make that toll higher in 2020.

Director of WHO’s Malaria Programme Pedro Alsonso said “Our estimates are that depending on the level of service disruption (due to COVID-19), there could be an excess of malaria deaths of somewhere between 20,000 and 100,000 in sub-Saharan Africa, most of them in young children.”

“It’s very likely that excess malaria mortality is larger than the direct COVID mortality.”

Meanwhile, drugs like Hydroxychloroquine, which should have been used to treat malaria patients, were once sold out in many countries. Both U.S. President Donald Trump and Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro touted the drug as a preventative measure for the coronavirus.

But later studies have shown that it’s not an effective treatment for COVID-19. WHO has halted the drug’s clinical trials, as it doesn not reduce the death rate among COVID-19 patients.

Read also: Africa COVID-19 Cases Surpass Two Million – WHO

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has also revoked the emergency authorization for malaria drugs championed by the President, amid growing evidence they don’t work and could cause serious side effects.

The WHO report found there were 229 million malaria cases globally in 2019. It further said that despite the unprecedented challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, many countries around the world had fought hard and held the line against the disease.

But it also said “long-term success in reaching a malaria-free world within a generation is far from assured.” Some of the African countries worst affected by malaria have struggled to make significant progress since 2016.

Due to the ongoing transmission of malaria via mosquitoes in many parts of the world, half the global population is at risk of contracting the disease, and it still kills a child every two minutes. Despite this, the focus of worldwide funding and attention has been diverted, making preventable child deaths more likely.

Peter Sands, executive director of the Global Fund to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, said the WHO report’s findings were “extremely timely.”

“The global health world, the media, and politics, are all transfixed by COVID, and yet we pay very little attention to a disease that is still killing over 400,000 people every year, mainly children.”

“And to remind you, this is a disease we do know how to get rid of – so it is a choice that we don’t.

Continue Reading

Trending