Kenyan politician and presidential aspirant in the 2022 Presidential election, Raila Odinga has named Martha Karua as his running mate. He made the announcement on Monday at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre in an event graced by party leaders allied to the Azimio-OKA coalition.
Below are 10 important things to know about her:
- A lawyer by profession, Karua started her law career in 1981 as a Magistrate, before venturing into private practice.
- In addition to a Bachelor of Laws from Nairobi University, Karua holds a Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) from the United States International University.
- She served as Member of Parliament (MP), representing Gichugu Constituency in Kirinyaga, winning four consecutive elections.
- She is a human rights defender and reform champion with a deep commitment to social justice, the rule of law and the building of accountable institutions.
- She is renowned for her advocacy of women’s rights and also actively represented pro bono victims of politically instigated and sensitive cases
- She was the first woman elected as a MP in Gichugu constituency paving the way for the election of women in Kirinyaga.
- For more than six years, Martha served as a Minister in the Government of Kenya in charge of various portfolios.
- Between 2005 and 2009, she was Minister for Justice and Constitutional Affairs, under whose watch Kenyan new and most progressive constitutional dispensation was promulgated.
- In 1991, Karua was recognized by Human Rights Watch as a human rights monitor.
- Martha Wangari was born on 22 September 1957 and she’s aged 64
Copyright: News Central TV
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.