Zimbabwe on Monday summoned the US ambassador, Brian Nichols over remarks by a senior American official accusing the southern African country of stirring anti-racism protests over the death of George Floyd.
Zimbabwe’s Foreign Minister Sibusiso Moyo dismissed as “false and without factual foundation” the claims by US President Donald Trump’s national security adviser, Robert O’Brien.
The United States has been rocked by days of protests after Floyd, an African-American, died while a white police officer knelt on his neck, ignoring complaints he could not breathe.
In a Sunday interview with ABC news, O’Brien referred to Zimbabwe and China as “foreign adversaries” using social media to stoke unrest and “sow discord”.
Zimbabwe’s foreign ministry spokesman James Manzou said US ambassador Brian Nichols had been summoned to explain O’Brien’s remarks, an AFP report said.
Moyo said the statements by Trump’s administration were damaging.
“Zimbabwe is not and has never been an adversary of the United States of America,” Moyo said.
“I have informed the US ambassador that Mr. O’Brien’s allegations are false and without factual foundation whatsoever.”
Zimbabwe-US relations have been tense since Washington imposed sanctions against former president Robert Mugabe and members of his inner circle in 2002 over rights abuses.
Those sanctions were extended in March of this year, with Washington citing current President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s failure to implement reforms as well as his violent crackdowns on opposition since he took power in 2017.
Government spokesman Nick Mangwana said Zimbabwe did not consider itself “America’s adversary”.
“We prefer having friends and allies to having unhelpful adversity with any other nation including the USA,” Mangwana tweeted late Sunday.
A senior Zimbabwean official quoted by the state-owned Herald newspaper also denied O’Brien’s accusations.
“Anyone who has seen the genesis of recent events, from the tragic death of Mr Floyd to the subsequent protests, will realise that any accusations of Zimbabwean involvement at any stage is farcical,” the unnamed official said.
Libya’s General Khalifa Haftar Agrees To Lift Oil Blockade
Self-styled Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, the commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA), has said he would temporarily lift his blockade of the country’s oil production facilities.
Speaking on television, Haftar said that he has decided to allow the reopening of Libya’s oil ports “as per conditions and guarantees that ensure a fair distribution of wealth and spare it being plundered or used in terrorism financing.”
This the parliament in eastern Libya, which backed Haftar, resigned following protests in Benghazi and other cities over power cuts and deteriorating living conditions.
Ezzel-Deen al-Falih, a spokesman for the Tobruk-based House of Representatives (HoR), said Prime Minister Abdallah al-Thani tendered the government’s resignation to Speaker Aguila Saleh late on Sunday.
Haftar said Friday’s announcement about lifting the oil blockade followed an agreement with the UN-backed government in Tripoli under which oil revenues would be distributed fairly.
A government minister has said a committee would be set up to oversee the handling of the revenue.
But the national oil company says it won’t resume operations until Gen Haftar’s forces leave the production facilities.
His blockade – which began January – has starved the Libyan economy of billions of dollars of desperately needed export earnings.
Before the blockade, Libya was producing around 1.2 million barrels per day compared to just over 100,000 barrels per day, according to Reuters.
AU Backs Call For Mali Junta To Hand Over To Civilian
The African Union (AU) has backed calls by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) that the military junta in Mali appoint civilians to lead the country’s 18-months transition.
The military had overthrew President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita of Mali on August 18 in a bloodless coup, prompting sanctions from the 15-member regional bloc.
ECOWAS has insisted that the Colonel Assimi Goita-led National Committee for the Salvation of the People (CNSP) return Mali to civilian rule. The bloc also demanded that a civilian be named as head of the transition government.
The junta is yet to heed ECOWAS demand despite a deadline expiring on Tuesday. Instead, the junta, which had earlier proposed a two-year transition plan, released a charter reducing the transition period to 18 months.
Now the AU has urged the military junta in Mali to quickly appoint civilian leaders to manage an 18-month transition towards elections.
The AU Peace and Security Commissioner Smail Chergui called for a return to constitutional order.
The AU announced the day after the coup that it was suspending Mali “until restoration of constitutional order”, and it is unclear what additional leverage it has.
Mali’s military rulers met West African leaders this week but the soldiers who seized power appear reluctant to let a civilian lead the transition.
A spokesman for the junta, Colonel Ismael Wague, said after this week’s talks in Ghana that Mali could face a “total embargo” from ECOWAS if it does not quickly appoint civilian leaders.
The sanctions could bite in the poor country already facing a severe economic downturn as well as a simmering jihadist insurgency and chronic inter-ethnic violence.
Wague nevertheless made clear the junta would prefer the transition be run by the military, and claimed that was also the preference of the majority of Malians.
Libya Prime Minister’s Planned Resignation Upsets Turkey
The planned resignation of Libya’s internationally recognised Prime Minister has upset Turkey, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday.
Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj, an ally to Turkey, had on Wednesday announced his intention to step down from office next month end.
Speaking to reporters in Istanbul on Friday, Erdogan said a Turkish delegation will hold talks on the issue with the al-Sarraj-government in the coming weeks.
“A development like this, hearing such news, has been upsetting for us,” Erdogan told reporters in Istanbul, adding: “with these meetings, God willing we will turn this issue towards the direction it needs to go.”
Sarraj is head of the Government of National Accord (GNA) based in Tripoli, while eastern Libya and much of the south is controlled by Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA). His departure could lead to infighting among senior GNA figures.
The civil war has drawn in regional and international powers and Turkey supports the GNA, while the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Russia back the LNA.
Turkey helped the GNA turn back a 14-month LNA assault on Tripoli in June.
Sarraj’s had on August 21 announced a ceasefire in hostilities with the LNA.
Stylish actresses in Nigeria
Miss Tanzania: Wema Sepetu
Sawa Sawa Album: The Artiste, His music
Eight Burnt To Death In Nigeria’s Lagos-Ibadan Expressway Accident
The Hiplife Pioneer; The Godfather
”I Didn’t Buy Airtel Vote to Support Kiddwaya” – Billionaire Terry Waya
Ivorian Singer, Eudoxie Yao Says She And Her Boyfriend Do Not Care About Physique
Nigerien Governor Visits Borno, Pledges Support in Fight Against Boko Haram
Ghanaian Pastor, Sylvester Ofori, Shoots Wife Dead In U.S
Ceec Opens Up On “Dating”
Art2 days ago
Aspiring US President; Joe Biden kneels In Front Of Ghanaian’s Actor; Don Little
Business News3 days ago
Nigeria’s NNPC Records ₦20.36Bn Trading Surplus In July
East Africa News2 days ago
Kiplimo wins epic 3000m showdown in Rome Diamond League
Featured2 days ago
Israel Adesanya signs historic Puma deal
News3 days ago
Nigeria Discharges 3,442 COVID-19 Patients, Records 126 New Infections
North Africa3 days ago
Patrice Carteron leaves Zamalek for Saudi side Al Taawon
Business News3 days ago
AfDB To Double Climate Change Financing For Africa
Politics2 days ago
Somalia Gets New Prime Minister