Connect with us

News

181 Students, Worker Contract COVID-19 At Private School In Lagos3 minutes read

Published

on

A health official in Nigeria’s commercial city, Lagos, has announced that 181 students and a member of staff contracted the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) at a private school in Lagos.

Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, in a statement on Friday, said the new cases were found at a private boarding school in Lekki area of the state.

Abayomi said that the cases were detected during COVID-19 surveillance and case investigation in the school, adding that there were 441 students and staff in the school.

“I am pleased to announce that all the infected students are predominantly asymptomatic, while some have very mild symptoms, no student has required hospitalisation,” he said.

The commissioner explained that a 14-year-old SS1 female student fell ill on Oct. 3 and was sent home after receiving first aid at the school.

He added that the student subsequently tested positive for COVID-19 on Oct. 6 in one of the accredited private labs in Lagos.

The commissioner assured residents that the state government, through the incident command system, has the situation under control.

He added that appropriate steps had been taken to contain the spread and manage the positive cases.

According to him, all parents have been contacted and counselled through a zoom call on Oct. 13 to further allay their fears, adding that communication between the school authority and parents continues.

He disclosed that the zoom meeting was attended by the commissioners for Health and Education, all relevant responders and stakeholders.

“There is a total lockdown and movement restriction in the school with the Epidemiology and Surveillance Pillar of the EOC and Ibeju-Lekki LGA State Disease Surveillance and Notification Officer (DSNO) reporting at the school daily to conduct further investigation.

“Positive students and staff have been isolated on the premises and given the COVID-19 home-care treatment packs and are being monitored in isolation within the school premises,” Abayomi said.

The commissioner said that the school authorities supported by the state Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Education are following the COVID-19 guidelines as set out by the government.

“Students are to be isolated in the School premises and if unwell will be admitted in one of the accredited isolation centres in Lagos.

“Students are discouraged from going home to avoid infecting members of their families,” he said.

Abayomi noted that members of the Emergency Operation Centre and counterparts in the Ministry of Education have been deployed to the school to provide strategic interventions and support to the school.

He added that the support include psychosocial support, infection prevention control, medical monitoring and risk communication experts to further enlighten and educate the affected people.

The commissioner advised residents to maintain personal and environmental hygiene, stressing that use of face mask, proper hand washing and maintaining physical distance would help prevent the spread of the infection.

“COVID-19 is still very much with us and we must strive to prioritise the safety of all, including students and teachers, by adhering strictly to prevention protocols and guidelines issued by the government to prevent its spread,” Abayomi said.

He urged residents to call the 08000EKOMED or 08000356633 toll-free line if they notice any sign or symptoms of COVID-19, which include fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue or loss of taste or smell.

News

Hoodlums Raid Popular Sports Paper In Nigeria’s Lagos

Published

on

The spate of looting, an aftermath of the #EndSARS protests in Nigeria, continues as suspected hoodlums on Sunday attacked the offices of a popular sports newspapers in Lagos State.

Dr Mumini Alao, the Group Managing Director of Complete Sports newspapers, in a statement on Sunday, said the hoodlums attacked the head office of the paper in Okota area of Lagos.

He said the suspected hoodlums forced their way into the company and ransacked the offices.

“The hoodlums came very early on Sunday morning, October 25, 2020. They attacked our office security guards, tied them up, and proceeded to ransack several offices in the building,” Alao said.

“Luckily for us, one of the guards escaped to raise the alarm, thus forcing the fleeing hoodlums to abandon some of their loot, including a Toyota Corolla car, Apple desktop, HP laptop, and several mobile phones taken from our premises.

“The incident has been reported at the Okota Police station, while two of our personnel that were injured by the hoodlums have been treated at a private hospital.”

Continue Reading

East Africa News

Parliament in Somalia endorses new PM Roble’s Cabinet

The new Cabinet formed includes eight women – four ministers, a State minister and three deputy ministers.

Bernard Akede

Published

on

The new Cabinet formed

The new Cabinet formed last Monday by Somalia’s Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble, has been approved by the Lower House of the country’s Federal Parliament.

A list of 71 ministers, State ministers and deputy ministers was presented by the Premier to the legislators, stating that their selection was based on their integrity and capacities.

“I have selected the ministers upon closely examining their abilities to deliver services to the people,” he said in a brief speech.

All MPs present, 188 in number, voted in favour of the new Cabinet by show of hands.

The new Cabinet formed includes eight women – four ministers, a State minister and three deputy ministers. 

While delivering a speech to seek parliamentary approval of his portfolio holders and political programme, PM Roble emphasized the zeal of his government to tackle the country’s most pressing issues, particularly insecurity as well as the smooth running of the anticipated general election in 2020 and 2021.

The return of most of the deposed PM’s Cabinet members had been anticipated by many analysts.

However, in the new Cabinet formed, a number senior ministers lost positions. Among them were the holders of the Defense, Internal Security, Interior, Information and Education dockets.

The ministers of Commerce and Industry as well as Public Works did not appear in the new list.

Those who retained their positions in the cabinet include Deputy PM Mahdi Mohamed Guled alias Khadar, Foreign minister Ambassador Ahmed Issa Awad and Finance minister Dr Abdirahman Dualeh Beile.

Others are Health minister Dr Fawzia Abikar Nur and Planning minister Jamal Mohamed Hussein.

The new Cabinet comprises of 27 ministers, 27 deputy ministers and 17 state ministers.

Continue Reading

News

Doctors Without Borders Launches Mass Casualty Plan After School Shooting In Cameroon

Published

on

Following this morning’s school shooting in Kumba, South-West Cameroon, Doctors Without Borders launched a mass casualty plan.

According to a press statement, the group responded with ambulance service and surgical care in the Presbyterian General Hospital (PGH), Kumba.

Doctors Without Borders received a total of ten patients between the ages of 10 and 15. Of these patients, five were referred to other hospitals for specialist treatment through our ambulance service; four continue to receive treatment in PGH; and tragically, one patient was pronounced dead on arrival.

“As a medical humanitarian organisation we lament the tragic loss of life in the Kumba community. This attack, which saw children gunned down while attending school, was a reprehensible and indecent act. Civilian structures including schools and hospitals must not be targets, ” said Alberto Jodra Marcos, Emergency Coordinator for Doctors Without Borders in South-West Cameroon.

It would be recalled that Gunmen stormed the Mother Francisca College in Kumba in southwestern Cameroon on Saturday, killing at least eight schoolchildren and wounding eight more.

One parent who was just outside the school at the time of the attack said the gunmen arrived on motorbikes and in civilian clothes in the middle of the day before shooting the children indiscriminately.

It was not clear if the attack was linked to the ongoing struggle between the army and groups attempting to form a breakaway state called Ambazonia in the English-speaking west.

A local witness in the area said Ambazonian fighters were responsible for the bloodshed.

“Ambazonian fighters arrived [at] the school… started shooting into the classes. They say the students are traitors for attending classes when they have called for an effective school boycott in the Northwest and Southwest regions… we ran into the house for safety. It was so terrifying,” he said on condition of anonymity.

Continue Reading

Trending