Connect with us

Politics

Adolf Hitler Elected Councillor In Namibia

Published

on

A politician named after Germany’s Adolf Hitler has been elected councillor in a Namibian regional election. However, unlike the man he was named after, Adolf Hitler Uunona says he has no plan for world domination.

The politician, who normally goes by the name Adolf Uunona, got 85% of the votes in last week’s election in Ompundja, a small town in the far north of the country.

In the candidates’ list, Hitler was reduced to the initial: ‘H’.

Uunona won 1,196 votes in the recent election compared to 213 for his opponent, giving him a seat on the regional council

Namibia is a former German colony and there are still reminders of that time in some placenames.

“My father named me after this man. He probably didn’t understand what Adolf Hitler stood for,” Mr Uunona said in a recent interview.

“It was a very normal name for me as a child. It was not until I was growing up that I realised that this man wanted to subjugate the whole world. I have nothing to do with any of these things.”

The German occupation of Namibia, which ended after World War One, has bitter memories for the people there.

Between 1904 and 1908 its colonial forces killed more than 80% of Namibia’s Nama and Herero populations, in what historians now call “the forgotten genocide”.

Adolf Hitler was a German politician and leader of the Nazi Party.

During his dictatorship from 1933 to 1945, he initiated World War II in Europe by invading Poland on 1 September 1939. He was closely involved in military operations throughout the war and was central to the perpetration of the Holocaust.

Mr Uunona’s SWAPO party has ruled Namibia since independence from apartheid South Africa in 1990. Namibia was once known as German South West Africa and was a German colony from 1884.

A small German-speaking community still lives in the country today, and around 120,000 Germans visit Namibia every year.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

East Africa News

Somalia Threatens to Exit Regional Bloc Following Verdict on Dispute with Kenya

Published

on

Somalia has threatened to withdraw from a regional bloc after the group ruled in favour of Kenya in a diplomatic dispute between the two countries.

The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) last month led a fact-finding mission seeking viable intervention to ease tensions between the two East African countries.

Somalia severed diplomatic ties with Kenya on December 15 and wrote the regional bloc of eight members, demanding an independent mission to verify claims that Kenya is arming and training militia to fight the Somalia National Army forces stationed in Gedo near their common border.

The team, led by Djibouti’s Ambassador to Kenya Yacin Elmi Bouh, his counterpart to Somalia Aden Hassan Aden, and an IGAD observer, said they had found no evidence supporting violations by Kenya.

On Wednesday, Mohamed Abdirazak, the Somalia Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Minister said his country will reject the report “in its entirety” because the investigators had been “biased, partisan, unfair, compromised and predetermined to exonerate Kenya.”
“Somalia strongly holds to all its initial accusations against Kenya and will pursue all means to protect her sovereignty,” Abdirazak said in a statement, threatening that his country will withdraw from Igad.

Igad’s report criticised Somalia for severing ties with Kenya, arguing the historical problems faced by the two countries could only be solved through deeper diplomatic engagements.

Kenya on its part said it feels vindicated.

The Kenyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the findings of the team are proof that Somalia’s claims were a political ploy meant to distract the region from security concerns.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

East Africa Politics News

COVID-19: Not Every Vaccine is Important to Us – Magufuli

Published

on

President John Magufuli of Tanzania has warned the country’s health ministry against rushing into embracing the coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccines promoted by foreign companies and countries.

Magufuli warned that the vaccines could harm people. He, however, failed to provide evidence to justify his claim.

“The ministry of health should be careful, they should not hurry to try these vaccines without doing research, not every vaccine is important to us, we should be careful. We should not be used as ‘guinea pigs’,” Magufuli said.

“Vaccinations are dangerous. If the white man was able to come up with vaccinations, he should have found a vaccination for Aids, cancer and TB by now.”

Magufuli, a devout Catholic, advised Tanzanians to continue taking precautions, saying prayers and traditional medicine, including steam inhalation, were the way to deal with coronavirus.

He said, “We have lived for over one year without the virus because our God is able and Satan will always fail. The Health ministry should be cautious, and avoid the temptation to turn us into a country where vaccination trials are conducted freely,” he said.

“In a certain country, its girl children – aged below 14 years – were vaccinated against what was said to be cervical cancer, but it later emerged that the vaccination was meant to make them infertile.” Dr. Magufuli said.

He added: “Many countries have lockdown, but in Tanzania there are no plan of lockdown and we’ll never introduce lockdown because our God is alive and he will continue to protects us.”

The president also failed to address reports from Denmark that two of its citizens – who had visited Tanzania – had tested positive for the new Covid-19 strain from South Africa.

He instead blamed citizens who travel out of the country for “importing a new weird corona”.

Recall that Magufuli had in June 2020 declared Tanzania free of Covid-19. Since then the country has stopped publishing official data about the virus.

However, the Catholic Church has contradicted Magufuli and has warned Tanzanians to observe COVID-19 safety protocols.

“After successfully containing the spread of the virus last year, Tanzania was now facing a new wave of the virus spread,” the church said in a statement on Tuesday.

“Our country is not an island. We have every reason to take precautions and pray to God so that we can be saved from this pandemic.”

Over the weekend, Bishop Yuda Thadei Ruwaichi of Dar es Salaam said “Covid is not finished, Covid is still here. Let’s not be reckless, we need to protect ourselves, wash your hands with soap and water. We also have to go back to wearing masks.”

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Central Africa Politics

D.R. Congo Passes Historic No Confidence Vote on Prime Minister

Published

on

Lawmakers in the Democratic Republic of Congo have passed an historic no confidence vote on Prime Minister Sylvestre Ilunga Ilukamba, effectively removing him from power.

Embattled Ilukamba, who was not present in the chambers when the vote during a parliament plenary session in Kinshasa, has been given 24 hours to resign.

Ilukamba had refused to respond to the invitation of the provisional office of parliament, which he considers illegitimate under the constitution and internal regulations of parliament.

In a letter addressed to members of the provisional office of parliament and to deputies on Wednesday morning, Sylvestre Ilunga stressed that the proceedings against his government violated the country’s constitution and the rule of law.

The lawmakers accused Ilukamba, an ally of former President Joseph Kabila, and his ministers of poor performance.

The collapse of the government paves the way for President Félix Tshisekedi to appoint loyalists as ministers.

Last month, Mr Tshisekedi ended a coalition formed with his predecessor, whose allies dominated key ministries.

Since then, Mr Tshisekedi has been persuading MPs to defect from Mr Kabila’s alliance, which previously held the majority in parliament, stalling the president’s reform programme.

The prime minister’s impeachment garnered a large majority of votes in the absence of MPs loyal to ex-President Joseph Kabila who decided not to take part in the vote.

This will be the first time in DR Congo’s 60-year history that a government has been forced to resign.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Trending