Anadarko Mozambique convoy attacked by insurgents

It’s the the first attack on an energy company since an insurgency by suspected militants began 16 months ago

A convoy operated by US gas giant Anadarko came under attack Thursday in northern Mozambique which has been rocked by a spate of jihadist violence, according to company sources.

The local sources, who declined to be named, said the convoy was targeted on a road linking Mocimboa da Praia to Palma, the nerve-centre of Mozambique’s nascent gas industry following the discovery of reserves of more than 75 trillion cubic feet.  

Armed men blocked the road and attacked the convoy with firearms, the sources told AFP. No staff were injured. 

Anadarko is one of the global companies investing billions of dollars to exploit major gas reserves discovered off Mozambique’s northeastern coast.

Your Friends Also Read:  Business Edge | Expectations for South Africa's Repo Rate

Hardline Islamists have launched several deadly attacks in the Muslim-majority, oil and gas-rich Cabo Delgado province in the past year, stoking unrest just as Maputo pushes ahead with exploration efforts.

Anadarko has previously advertised for the supply of armoured vehicles for use in its northern Mozambique operations, according to the Bloomberg news agency.

Anadarko’s head office did not respond to a request for comment.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Ethiopia throws $173,000 per seat fundraising dinner for capital urbanisation

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

President Macky Sall confident of win as Senegalese head to polls

Next Article

Final preparations as Nigerians head for rescheduled polls

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App