Sudan’s prosecutor general has ordered the questioning of ousted president Omar al-Bashir over money-laundering and “financing terrorism”, the official SUNA news agency reports.
“The acting public prosecutor general Al-Waleed Sayyed Ahmed has ordered the questioning of former president Omar al-Bashir… under anti-money laundering and financing terrorism laws,” SUNA said.
A source in the prosecutor general’s office confirmed the state media report to the press.
Bashir, who swept to power in an Islamist-backed coup in 1989, ruled Sudan with an iron fist for three decades.
During his rule the country was placed on Washington’s list of state sponsors of terrorism over its alleged links with Islamist militants.
Al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden lived in Sudan between 1992 and 1996.
In October 2017, Washington lifted a 20-year-old trade embargo imposed on Sudan, but kept the country on the terrorism blacklist.
Since last year however, the two countries have been in talks to remove the country from the blacklist, but these have now been suspended since Bashir was ousted by the army on April 11.
“That is a conversation that we are not able to engage at the moment,” a top State Department official, Makila James, told AFP last month during her visit to Khartoum.
“All of that is suspended as we try to assess what is the reality on the ground, what is the way forward,” she said.
Last month Sudan’s army ruler General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said that more than 113 million dollars worth of cash in three currencies had been seized from Bashir’s residence.
He said a team of police, army and security agents found seven million euros ($7.8 million), $350,000 and five billion Sudanese pounds ($105 million) during a search at Bashir’s home.
Vast crowds join ‘million-strong march’
Huge crowds of demonstrators flocked to join a “million-strong” march Thursday outside Sudan’s army headquarters to demand that the ruling military council hand power to a civilian administration.
Protesters gathered in greater numbers than recent days, packing all the roads and bridges leading to the central Khartoum complex, said correspondents on the scene.
Talks between protest leaders and the generals over transfer of power remained deadlocked.
Two UN personnel killed in Benghazi by car bomb
Two members of the UN mission were killed and at least eight others wounded including a child, by a car bomb.
A car bombing in Libya’s eastern city of Benghazi killed two United Nations staff on Saturday, a security official said.
“Two members of the UN mission were killed and at least eight others wounded including a child, by a car bomb” in a shopping area of the Al-Hawari district, the official said.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, which happened as a UN convoy was passing through the area.
Benghazi, Libya’s second city and the cradle of the 2011 uprising that overthrew dictator Muammar Gaddafi, was hit by years of violence targeting diplomatic offices and security forces after his fall.
An attack on the US consulate on September 11, 2012, killed US ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
In 2017, military strongman Khalifa Haftar drove hardline Islamists and jihadists out of Benghazi after a three-year battle.
Haftar, who backs an eastern-based administration that opposes the Tripoli-based unity government, went on to seize Derna, the last city in eastern Libya outside his control.
But bombings and kidnappings have continued.
A May 2018 attack left seven people dead and last month, a car bombing at the funeral of an ex-army commander killed at least four people and wounded more than 30 others.
A Libyan lawmaker is also feared to have been abducted by an armed group in the eastern city, the UN and lawmakers said in July.
Haftar controls most of eastern Libya, and early this year he ordered his self-styled Libyan National Army to purge the south of what he called “terrorist groups and criminals”.
On the heels of that campaign, his LNA launched in April an offensive to take the Libyan capital from the UN-recognised Government of National Accord.
The LNA on Saturday announced a truce around Tripoli for the three-day Muslim festival of Eid Al-Adha, after the unity government conditionally accepted a ceasefire called for by the UN.
Jihadists release video of ‘kidnapped aid worker’ and 5 colleagues in Nigeria
The hostages are believed to be held in the ISWAP enclave on the shores of Lake Chad
Jihadists aligned with the Islamic State group released a video Thursday purporting to show a female aid worker and five male colleagues kidnapped in an attack in northeast Nigeria.
Aid group, Action Against Hunger (AAH) said earlier that one of its staff members along with three health workers and two drivers were missing after their convoy was attacked last Thursday near the border with Niger.
In the three-minute video, a woman wearing a bright blue hijab who says she is the abducted aid worker addresses the camera in English while seated in front of five men she describes as her colleagues.
The footage seen by reporters was released through the same channels as previous videos from the IS-linked Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
An employee at another NGO confirmed the identity of the missing aid worker.
Villagers see captives –
The hostages are believed to be held in the ISWAP enclave on the shores of Lake Chad.
Villagers told reporters the kidnapped aid workers were seen with their armed captors passing through the villages of Chamba and Gatafo on the day of their abduction.
ISWAP is a splinter group of Boko Haram that swore allegiance in 2016 to IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
It has repeatedly attacked military bases and previously targeted aid workers in northeast Nigeria.
Two female aid workers with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) were murdered by ISWAP last year and an aid worker with the UN children’s agency UNICEF is still being held by the group.
Since 2009, more than 27,000 people have been killed and some two million forced from their homes by the Boko Haram conflict.
Prime Minister under Muammar Gaddafi’s rule freed in Libya
Mahmoudi was arrested in September 2011 as he tried to flee across the border to Tunisia, and was extradited to Libya
Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi, Libya’s last prime minister under ousted dictator Muammar Gaddafi, has been released from jail for health reasons four years after being sentenced to death, Tripoli’s justice ministry said Saturday.
Mahmoudi, in his 70s, was premier when a NATO-backed uprising in 2011 toppled and killed Gaddafi.
He was handed the death sentence in July 2014 along with eight other Gaddafi-era officials including the leader’s son Seif al-Islam, over their alleged role in a bloody crackdown on protesters.
The justice ministry said Mahmoudi was released “for health reasons” at the recommendation of a medical commission “so that he could be treated at specialised medical centres”.
It gave no further details on the nature of his illness or when he was liberated.
Mahmoudi was arrested in September 2011 as he tried to flee across the border to Tunisia, and was extradited to Libya the following year.
During his detention in Tunisia, he claimed that Libya had financed the 2007 election campaign of former French president Nicolas Sarkozy, according to his lawyers.
The French ex-president vehemently denied the allegations, initially made by Seif al-Islam.
But Sarkozy was charged in March 2018 over accusations he accepted millions of euros from Gaddafi.
Bobi Wine Exclusive Interview
Malawi police probes officers over rape allegations
International election observers flag concerns over Mozambique’s polls
Zimbabweans lament after price of bread rises by 60% overnight
Morocco frees journalist jailed for abortion after royal pardon
Fire outbreak in Quranic school kills 26 pupils and 2 teachers in Liberia
Nigeria’s “Street Doctor”, Samson Shonowo provides free healthcare for the poor
Egyptian stocks dip after outbreak of anti-Sisi protests
Uganda’s teenage environmental activist calls for urgent climate change action
Nigerian police arrests alleged ‘serial killer’ after 8 women killed
A walk along the slave routes in Badagry
The #AfricaFirst Pledge with Adebola Afolabi (RezThaPoet)
United Nations #SDGs: A better world with Family planning
The #AfricaFirst Pledge with Efe Paul Azino
Harsh abortion sentences are putting Malagasy women at risk
Op-Ed1 week ago
“Sex for grades” – Another sad reminder of our failed education system (Opinion)
Politics4 days ago
Nigerian police rescues over 300 pupils from another ‘torture house’
North Africa Politics1 week ago
Jailed Tunisian presidential candidate Nabil Karoui to be released -Lawyer
Culture & Tourism1 week ago
M.I Abaga vs Vector the Viper: Nigeria’s battle for rap supremacy [Updated]
North Africa1 week ago
Tunisian presidential hopeful, Nabil Karoui released just before runoff polls
Culture & Tourism1 week ago
Morocco’s renowned “Critical” cannabis faces threats from foreign hybrids
Business News1 week ago
Exxon to invest $500 million in Mozambique LNG project
Politics1 week ago
Dozens of foreigners appeal to UN for deportation from South Africa