Sudan Army has announced a transition council after state television had said early Thursday that the armed forces would make an “important announcement soon”, amid speculation that a coup attempt was underway against President Omar al-Bashir following months of protests against his 30-year rule. But Bashir was later reported to have resigned.
News Central provides a timeline of events in Khartoum on Thursday morning:
- Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), which has spearheaded protests, says it will only accept a handover of power to a civilian transitional government, not one set up by military
- Jubilation in Khartoum and cities across Sudan
- Army announces Sudan transitional council led by Ahmed Awad Ibn Auf, First Vice President and Defense Minister of Sudan
- President of the Military Council arrives at the state TV and radio station to give
- Head of government Mohamed Tahir Ayla arrested • Interim council is being formed
- Arabiya Reports Bashir Stepping Down
- Khartoum Airport closed
- Reports on political Arrests of former officials, guards, party leaders (SKY) • Military took over TV/Radio
- Army Chiefs Meeting
- Protestors take to the street
- Reports of high profile arrests in Sudan including former VP, former defence minister and head of the ruling party
Copyright: News Central TV
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.