Hakeem Odumosu, the Commissioner of Police for Lagos State, Nigeria’s commercial capital, today met with the Area Commanders, and Heads of security department over the ongoing #ENDSARS protest.
Odumosu urged officers and men of the force to be calm, professional and avoid unnecessary confrontation that can trigger crisis in Lagos.
Speaking on the killings in Surulere area of Lagos, during the protest on Monday, the Commissioner of Police assured Lagosians that proper investigation will be instituted and anyone found guilty will be brought to book.
Odumosu’s meeting with top police bosses in Lagos comes a day after the country’s Inspector General of Police, M.A. Adamu announced the replacement of the dissolved Special Anit-robbery Squad (SARS), with a new police unit called Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team that will fill the void left behind from the dissolution of the now defunct SARS.
In a press statement issued by the Force Public relations officer, DCP Frank Mba, the IGP said Prospective members of this new team will undergo psychological and medical examination to ascertain their fitness and eligibility for the new assignment.
Nigerian youths on the other hand say they are still not satisfied with the changes and development being promised by the Nigerian Police and the Federal Government as protesters still came out in large number despite heavy downpour.
Umbrellas and raincoats were distributed amongst the protesters as they carried signs with the hashtag #endsars and #sarsmustgo. Notable Nigerian artistes and celebrities home and abroad have identified with the protest which has now gained international attention.
SARS, which stands for Special Anti-Robbery Squad, is a unit of the Criminal Investigations Department under the Nigerian Police Force. Over the years, the unit has been accused of committing several offences such as harassment, extortion, brutalization, unlawful arrests and abduction, armed robbery, as well as extrajudicial killings.
#EndSARS: Miscreants Raid Prisons In Ondo, Delta States, Releases Inmates
Violence in Nigeria continued on Thursday with suspected miscreants raiding at least two correctional centres and setting prisoners free.
Armed thugs reportedly attacked a police station in Asaba, the Delta State capital. The hoodlums also allegedly raided the Warri Correctional Centre – Okere Prison – in the Warri South Local Government Area of the state, shooting sporadically.
The police station was reportedly set on fire.
The hoodlums reportedly moved to the Police Special Protection Unit in the area in an attempt to set it ablaze but were repelled by security personnel there.
It was also learnt a protest was currently ongoing at Oleh in Isoko South Local Government Area of the state by young persons, who have barricaded all major roads leading in and out of the community.
Recall that the office of the Federal Road Safety Corps along the Benin-Asaba-Onitsha Expressway and the beautification garden at Koka Junction, Asaba, were on Wednesday night set ablaze by thugs.
State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, had on Thursday morning announced a 48-hour curfew across the state.
The governor also ordered the closure of all public and private schools in the state until November 2, 2020.
In Ondo State, hoodlums on Thursday broke into the National Correctional Service Centre in Okitipupa, the headquarters of Okitipupa Local Government Area and forcefully released the inmates.
It was gathered that no fewer than 58 inmates were released during the attack while a vehicle was burnt.
It was also learnt that several items were destroyed on the premises of the prison.
Also on Monday, an attempted jailbreak at the Ikoyi prison in Lagos was foiled by the security forces. Videos shared online showed smoke billowing from parts of the prison while inmates were seen running.
The prison authorities called for reinforcements and they said that no prisoners managed to escape.
Earlier in the week, hundreds of inmates escaped a correctional facility in Edo State after it was raided by suspected miscreant, prompting Governor Godwin Obaseki to declare a 24-hour statewide curfew.
Death Toll In Ghana’s Collapsed Church Building Now 18
The number of people killed in the collapsed church building in the Eastern Region of Ghana has increased to 18, local police said on Thursday.
Francis Gomado, the spokesman for the Police in the Eastern region, said the death toll stood at 14 as of late Wednesday but went up again with four more bodies recovered early Thursday.
“The recovery work has been slow because of inefficient equipment, and individuals have been assisting with what they have,” he said.
He said about ten persons have been rescued alive and are receiving medical treatment, while the head pastor of the Church of Prosperity Akwa Isaac is in police custody to assist in investigations.
The Church of Prosperity’s three-story building located in the rural town of Akyem Batabi in the Eastern region of Ghana collapsed on Tuesday, trapping dozens of worshippers.
#EndSARS: Attempted Jail Break Reported At Nigeria’s Ikoyi Correctional Centre
There are reports some hoodlums attempted to break into a prison in Nigeria’s commercial city, Lagos State.
Local media reports claimed that policemen and soldiers arrived at the Ikoyi Correctional Centre after prison authorities sent out an SOS on Thursday.
A video, seen by News Central, showed smoke billowing from parts of the prison while inmates could be seen running.
Gunshots were also heard from the prison.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Lagos State, Mr. Muyiwa Adejobi, said the cause of the fire could not yet be ascertained but policemen had been deployed in the prisons.
“We don’t know the cause of the fire but we are there on the ground. We have mobilised to the place. We will give details later,” he said.
At least two prisons have been attacked this week as a protest seeking police reforms and an end to a rogue police unit in the West African country turned violent after over a week of peaceful demonstrations.
Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State imposed a curfew on Monday after hoodlums stormed the Medium Security Correctional Centres on Sapele Road and at Oko, Airport Road and freed almost 2,000 inmates.
A second jailbreak was reported in Ondo State on Thursday.
Europa League: Aubameyang ‘s Goal Lifts Arsenal Over Rapid Vienna
Canada Contributes $3M To Nigeria’s UN COVID-19 Basket
Malawi’s Former Internal Security Minister Jailed Five Years For Abuse Of Office
UACN Tops Gainers’ Table As Nigeria’s Bourse Rebounds By N59M
Sub-Saharan Africa Economy To Recover By 3.1% In 2021 – IMF
Zambian Musician, Daev, Is Dead
Breaking: Tanker Explodes In Lagos Nigeria
Tanzania’s NEC Summoms Chadema Candidate Over Rigging Claim
British MP Writes UK Government Over Financial Support To Nigeria’s SARS
Mali, Spain Invite Wolverhampton’s Adama Traore
News1 day ago
Actress Ada Ameh Loses Only Child
News3 days ago
#EndSARS: Hoodlums Attack Nigeria’s Benin Prison, Free Inmates (Video)
Politics14 hours ago
Nigeria’s Vice President Osinbajo Promises Justice For #EndSARS Protest Victims
News4 days ago
Nigerians Protest Ghanaian Government Refusal to Open Locked Shops
Business News4 days ago
Anonymous Didn’t Hack Our Website – First Bank
Featured2 days ago
Anthony Joshua and Odion Ighalo Weigh in on Violence in Nigeria as Soldiers Open Fire on Protesters
Politics23 hours ago
EndSARS: U.S. Must Stand With Nigerians, Biden Says
News3 days ago
#EndSARS: Edo Governor Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In State