Connect with us

East Africa News

Uganda Military Forces Raid Bobi Wine’s Home as Election Nears

Ugandans head to the polls on Thursday for the general elections after a campaign period that was marked by violence which has led to the death dozens of people.

Published

on

Ugandan opposition presidential candidate Bobi Wine said on Tuesday morning, that soldiers raided his home and arrested his security guards, just two days to the elections.

“The army has this morning raided my home, arrested all my security guards and anyone they could see around my premises,” Wine, who is the opposition frontrunner, said on his official Twitter handle.

“No reason for the arrest was given,” he added.

Ugandans head to the polls on Thursday for the general elections after a campaign period that was marked by violence which has led to the death dozens of people.

After 35 years in power, the current President Yoweri Museveni is seeking his sixth elected term in office.

Museveni 76, faces 10 challengers, most notably the pop star-turned-politician Robert Kyagulanyi, popularly known as Bobi Wine.

Ugandan security forces have severally been accused by human rights groups, of using excessive force to break up opposition rallies during the campaign.

But the government denies any wrong doing, saying such strong measures are necessary to ensure people comply with a ban on large crowds imposed to tackle the coronavirus pandemic.

Bobi Wine is regarded as the biggest challenge to President Museveni’s rule. The singer has been able to mobilised a large following of young people who have not previously been involved in politics.

He has strongly criticised the president in the past and accused him of “fearing the people”.

Not taking this challenge lightly, the president has accused Bobi Wine of being a foreign agent of those “who don’t like the stability and independence of Uganda” and said that young people are being misled by opposition figures to get involved in violence on the campaign trail.

Bobi Wine has been arrested several times since he became involved in politics. He has spoken of a “revolution” against Mr Museveni. He has posted on Twitter using the hashtag “WeAreRemovingADictator”.

Part of Bobi Wine’s popularity comes down to his age. At 38, he is just about half the age of President Museveni.

Join our newsletter


East Africa News

“We’re Out of Food And Stuck With An 18-month Old Baby” – Bobi Wine Cries Out

Bobi Wine has cried out to the world after being denied food and water in his house arrest. He has also revealed that an 18-month old baby is stuck with them in the house

Published

on

Robert Kyagulanyi (Bobi Wine), opposition candidate in the just concluded Ugandan Presidential election has revealed the precarious situation he’s in with his family.

Bobi Wine, who garnered 34.8% of electorates’ votes in the election, has been under house arrest alongside his wife, and an 18-year old kid, who is his wife’s niece.

The musician and parliamentarian had earlier rejected results of the election, citing discrepancies in votes tallying and rigging.

Bobi Wine has been denied every form of access from outside and his wife was prevented from getting food from the garden.

As it stands, Bobi Wine said they’ve run out of water and milk, and need urgent supplies as they are stuck in their home.

Ugandan President, Yoweri Museveni has been criticised for his treatment of Bobi Wine pre-election and post-election, with the international community expressing their concerns at the violation of human rights.

The 38-year old Presidential candidate, his wife and some others have been held under a house arrest for six days now. The American Ambassador to Uganda made attempts to visit him on Monday but was turned back by soldiers at the entrance of his home.

The Ugandan Police have claimed they placed Wine under house arrest to prevent any form of chaos that may arise from his post-election reaction.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

East Africa News

Ex-Judge, Hamuth, Appointed to Lead Mauritius Oil Spill Probe

Published

on

Mauritius has appointed Abdurraffeek Hamuth, a former judge, to lead an inquiry into the circumstances in which a Japanese-owned vessel, the Wakashio, entered its waters and spilled hundreds of tonnes of oil.

The MV Wakashio, owned by Nagashiki Shipping and chartered by Mitsui OSK Lines (MOL), ran aground on a coral reef off Mauritius on 25 July 2020. It was carrying 4,000 tonnes of oil before it split into two on 16 August.

Former Judge Hamuth and his assessors will investigate the cause and extent of the damage caused by the bulk carrier.

Testimonies at the inquiry are expected to reveal how the hull of the vessel cracked.

About 15 people have so far confirmed their participation, including opposition leader, Arvin Boolell, maritime safety expert and social activist, Bruneau Laurette, along with government officials and crew members.

Captain Sunil Kumar Nandeshwar and his assistant Hitihamillage Subodha Janendra Tilakaratna were arrested after the vessel sunk.

In September 2020, an expert witness told a court in Port Louis that the captain of the MV Wakashio, Nandeshwar, had been drinking before the accident.

According to the expert, the Voyage Data Recorder (VDR), which took an audio recording in the ship, confirmed suspicions of a birthday party a little more than an hour before the ship ran aground and that the Capt Sunil Kumar Nandeshwar, had consumed alcohol.

Capt Nandeshwar was also aware that the depth under the ship was decreasing considerably, the court heard.

The court heard that the ship’s voice recorder did not record any call with the Mauritius National Coast Guard.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Business News

Kenya Revenue Authority Report KSh 2Billion Excess in December Revenue Collection

This is the first time since the onset of the Covid19 pandemic that the agency surpassed its revenue collection target.

Published

on

The Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) has reportedly collected KSh166 billion revenue in December 2020, which pointed to excess in revenue collection by KSh 2 billion.

The revenue collection signified 3.5% higher than the KSh160 billion collected in the corresponding period in 2019, according to a statement on KRA’s website.

This is the first time since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic that the agency surpassed its revenue collection target. The government agency attributed the increased revenue collection to enhanced economic conditions since the easing of covid-19 restrictions. Efforts by the agency to increase tax compliance also contributed to improved revenue collection.

KRA’s Customs & Border Control (C&BC) Department collected the highest ever monthly revenue collection of Ksh 60.777 billion in December, representing a 40.9% growth in the revenue collected from the same period in 2019.

Read Also: Kenya to Conduct Survey on Diaspora Remittances

Governments efforts to lower exemptions and remissions also yielded results as the tax exemptions and remissions in the customs department fell by 39.3% in December 2020, thereby boosting revenue collection by KSh3.34 billion.

Domestic Taxes had the best performance rate of 91.1% in December, since the onset of Covid-19 in Kenya in March 2020. KRA says that Pay As You Earn (PAYE) taxes hit 99.8% of the set target while Withholding Tax exceeded the target by Ksh 725 million. Corporate taxes also reached 93.5% of the set target.

The Revenue Authority is optimistic that the recovering economy and efforts to increase tax compliance will boost tax revenue collection in 2021. In addition, the introduction of the digital services tax, minimum alternative tax, and voluntary disclosure program will boost KRA’s revenue collection goals.

 

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Trending