Burundi Celebrates Removal From UN Security Council’s Agenda

The Burundian Government said it has received with joy the decision taken by the United Nation Security Council of withdrawing Burundi from its political agenda.

Burndi government spokesperson, Prosper Ntahorwamiye, said on Tuesday that the UN Security Council ended mandatory report on the central African nation and encouraged its international partners to continue dialogue toward resumption of development assistance.

Ntahorwamiye called the decision “historic” and said UN “has finally acknowledged” significant progress in various sectors made by Burundi.

Burundi has said on many occasions that it no longer poses a threat to regional peace and security, and, therefore, should not stay on the Security Council’s agenda.

Burundian President Evariste Ndayishimiye reiterated the request during his speech at the 75th Session of the UN General Assembly earlier this year.

The small landlocked country was plunged into crisis in April 2015 when Ndayishimiye’s predecessor Pierre Nkurunziza decided to run his controversial third-term bid, which he ultimately won in July 2015.

His candidature, which was opposed by the opposition and civil society groups, resulted in a wave of protests, violence and even a failed coup in May 2015.

Since April 2015, 300,000 Burundians fled to neighbouring countries, according to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.

Total
0
Shares
Previous Article

Zambia's President Lungu Meets IMF Africa Head

Next Article

Ghana Sets Democratic Example for the Rest of Africa - Nketiah, Goldman

Related Posts

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.