No Civilian Casualty, Property Destruction in Mekelle Takeover – Ethiopia PM

The Ethiopian government has denied there were civilian casualties in the fighting between federal and regional troops at Tigray capital, Mekelle.

A doctor had alleged that at least 27 people – including a 4-year-old, a 78-year-old and a family of four – were killed when Ethiopian forces attacked Mekelle.

But a statement from Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s office on Monday says there have been no civilian casualties, and refers to Tigray regional forces as “the criminal clique”.

Reports, quoting the doctor, had said medical services in Mekelle were strained, with no antibiotics and meals for patients and medics among other things.

The statement from Abiy’s office on Monday says “the active phase of the operations has come to an end”, and the government is now “restoring law and order” while resettling those who’ve fled the region.

Your Friends Also Read:  Mozambique's Health Minister, Armindo Tiago, Contracts COVID-19

The prime minister insists that the regional forces had been defeated despite denials from the regional leaders.

Abiy also said the Tigrayan forces that the military has been fighting for the last month do not have the capacity to mount a guerrilla war from the mountains in the northern region.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Nigeria’s Central Bank Governor Calls For Improved Local Production

Next Article

South Sudan Opposition Party Sets 40% Quota for Women

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App