Connect with us

News

Davido Fumes AS FCTA Bans #EndSARS Protests In Abuja2 minutes read

Published

on

Nigerian hip-pop artiste, David Adeleke, better known as Davido, has reacted angrily after the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) banned the #EndSARS protests in Abuja, the nation’s capital, for alleged violation of the COVID-19 protocols.

The ban follows a recommendation by the Federal Capital Territory Security Committee.

The FCTA said it was concerned that despite the scrapping of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) by the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, at the weekend, the demonstrations had continued, causing inconveniences to law-abiding citizens.

This was contained in a statement titled,’COVID-19: FCT Security Committee prohibits street demonstrations,’ signed by the Chief Press Secretary to the FCT minister, Mr Anthony Ogunleye.

The statement was on a resolution of a meeting held on Tuesday to review the security situation in the FCT and address identified challenges.

At the meeting were the FCT Minister, Malam Muhammad Bello, who chaired the event, and the Permanent Secretary, FCTA, Mr Olusade Adesola; heads of the various security agencies and military formations in the FCT; senior members of staff of the FCTA; representatives of religious and traditional institutions as well as Area Council chairmen.

“While the committee recognizes the rights of citizens as regards freedom of association and movement as enshrined in the constitution, it has observed that the unruly conduct of the crowd and manner of demonstrations are in complete violation of the COVID-19 safety protocols which were put in place to safeguard the lives of citizens,” the statement read in part.

“These violations endanger the lives of not just the demonstrators, but also other citizens going about their legitimate concerns.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the COVID-19 guidelines regulating public gatherings recommend physical distancing, temperature checks, the use of facial coverings, amongst others.

“Clearly, all these guidelines were flouted by the protesters. Consequently, the committee directs that due to the dangers posed by COVID-19, all street demonstrations, protests and processions will not be allowed anywhere within the FCT.”

But the Assurance crooner, Davido, who recently had a meeting with the West African nation’s Inspector General of Police over the protests, faulted the decision of the FCTA.

He noted via his Twitter handle that the Federal Government allowed electioneering and rallies to hold in Ondo and Edo States where cases of violation of COVID-19 protocol were recorded but was against protests in the same country.

He wrote, “Can’t protest but y’all just had campaign rallies and conducted 2 elections recently !!! Do they think ?? Wtf I’m ANGRY

News

300 Militants Crossed Into Tanzania From Mozambique – Police

Published

on

Tanzania authorities say over 300 armed men from Mozambique raided a village in Mtwara region of the country, killing a number of locals.

It is the first time the Tanzanian authorities have publicly acknowledged the presence militants from Mozambique in the country.

Northern Mozambique is in the grip of a militant Islamist insurgency that has claimed more than 1,500 lives.

Last week, it was widely reported that conflict had spilled into Tanzania, with a number of villagers killed and on Thursday, the head of Tanzania’s police acknowledged this.

Inspector General Simon Sirro said 300 “terrorists” attacked a village in Mtwara region.

He said that Tanzanians were among the attackers and added that they were arrested before they could flee back to Mozambique.

“We will continue to confront [the attackers] until we are able to trace their network,” he said in a statement.

The Tanzanian government had previously declined to comment on the incident.

The insurgency in Mozambique is now in its third year and the government in Maputo is struggling to contain it.

Continue Reading

News

South Africa’s Police Arrest Public Officials For Inflating Project Costs

Published

on

South African authorities have arrested four former public officials for inflating the cost of a prjoect.

The Hawks, on Thursday, arrested former senior Gauteng Department of Health officials for alleged R1.2 billion tender irregularities committed almost 13 years ago.

The arrested are a former head of department who was also an accounting officer at the time; chief director of information communication and technology; head of supply chain management; and the deputy director for executive support.

They are accused of receiving kickbacks for their role in ensuring the contract was awarded to an undeserving entity and have been charged with fraud, corruption, money laundering and contravention of the Public Finance Management Act.

Police say the case emanates from February 2007 where the State Information Technology Agency (Sita) submitted a proposal to continue with an information technology maintenance programme at the department.

The Hawks’ Lieutenant Colonel Philani Nkwalase said the total cost of a project like that was not meant to be over R57 million for a period of three years.

“The contract was instead awarded to a private entity at a whopping cost of around R1.2 billion without following due tender procedures.

“Two private company directors who unduly benefited from the tender are yet to be charged along together with their two companies. The said directors are reportedly outside of the country but steps have already been initiated to ensure that they are accounted for,” Nkwalase said.

The four appeared in the Palm Ridge Specialised Commercial Crime Court on Thursday.

Continue Reading

News

#EndSARS: Miscreants Raid Prisons In Ondo, Delta States, Releases Inmates

Published

on

Violence in Nigeria continued on Thursday with suspected miscreants raiding at least two correctional centres and setting prisoners free.

Armed thugs reportedly attacked a police station in Asaba, the Delta State capital. The hoodlums also allegedly raided the Warri Correctional Centre – Okere Prison – in the Warri South Local Government Area of the state, shooting sporadically.

The police station was reportedly set on fire.

The hoodlums reportedly moved to the Police Special Protection Unit in the area in an attempt to set it ablaze but were repelled by security personnel there.

It was also learnt a protest was currently ongoing at Oleh in Isoko South Local Government Area of the state by young persons, who have barricaded all major roads leading in and out of the community.

Recall that the office of the Federal Road Safety Corps along the Benin-Asaba-Onitsha Expressway and the beautification garden at Koka Junction, Asaba, were on Wednesday night set ablaze by thugs.

State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, had on Thursday morning announced a 48-hour curfew across the state.

The governor also ordered the closure of all public and private schools in the state until November 2, 2020.

In Ondo State, hoodlums on Thursday broke into the National Correctional Service Centre in Okitipupa, the headquarters of Okitipupa Local Government Area and forcefully released the inmates.

It was gathered that no fewer than 58 inmates were released during the attack while a vehicle was burnt.

It was also learnt that several items were destroyed on the premises of the prison.

Also on Monday, an attempted jailbreak at the Ikoyi prison in Lagos was foiled by the security forces. Videos shared online showed smoke billowing from parts of the prison while inmates were seen running.

The prison authorities called for reinforcements and they said that no prisoners managed to escape.

Earlier in the week, hundreds of inmates escaped a correctional facility in Edo State after it was raided by suspected miscreant, prompting Governor Godwin Obaseki to declare a 24-hour statewide curfew.

Continue Reading

Trending