Another Ebola treatment centre in DR Congo attacked

It breaks my heart to think of the health workers injured and the police officer who died – Director-General, WHO
Health workers are seen through a bullet hole left in the window of an Ebola treatment centre, which was attacked in the early hours of the morning on March 9, 2019 in Butembo. – Armed men on March 9 attacked an Ebola treatment centre in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo, killing a policeman and wounding a health worker, the authorities said. Suspected Mai-Mai rebels have attacked the Butembo ETC twice in the last two weeks. (Photo by JOHN WESSELS / AFP)

A police officer has been killed and some health workers injured after a rebel group attacked an Ebola treatment centre northeast of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

The tragedy is the aftermath of yet another onslaught on a treatment centre in Butembo in the North Kivu Province. It experienced a similar attack last week.

The latest treatment centre attack coincided with the visit of the World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, to the Central African country.

“It breaks my heart to think of the health workers injured and the police officer who died in the latest treatment centre attack, as we continue to mourn those who died in previous attacks while defending the right to health,” Ghebreyesus said.

Your Friends Also Read:  Court overturns ban on Nigerian radio and television stations

The UN envoy said the organisation was not deterred by the recurrent deadly attacks in their efforts to halt the Ebola outbreak that has claimed over 500 people since August last year.

“We have no choice except to continue serving the people here, who are among the most vulnerable in the world,” Ghebreyesus said.

He recently concluded a three-day visit to DRC where he met President Felix Tshisekedi, government officials, partner organizations and local responders involved in the response to the Ebola outbreak.

WHO has requested and received further support from the UN and local police forces to protect the treatment centers.

Your Friends Also Read:  DR Congo authorities ban rallies in Kinshasa as tensions rise

“We are committed to ending the outbreak and improving the health of the people of DRC,” Ghebreyesus said.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Egypt’s parliament approves bill on cashless payment

Next Article

Experts gather in Kenya to solve global emission challenge

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App