Connect with us

Politics

#EndSARS: Lawyer Asks Lagos Panel to Summon Sanwo-Olu, Fashola, Others

Published

on

A lawyer, Adesina Ogunlana, representing Nigeria’s #EndSARS protesters at the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry, has asked the panel to summon the Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola (SAN).

Ogunlana, also asked the panel to summon Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State over the alleged killing of protesters by soldiers on the night of October 20 at the Lekki tollgate in Lagos.

In a December 9 application he submitted to the retired Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel, Ogunlana said he wanted Sanwo-Olu summoned to explain his role in the Lekki shootings.

Others the lawyer want summoned includes the Chief Executive Officer of Loatsad Promomedia Ltd, Seyi Tinubu; Managing Director, Oriental Hotel; Divisional Police Officer, Maroko Police Station and the Lekki Concession Company Officials in charge of Information Technology Intelligence and Security; the Chief Medical Director, Lagos Island General Hospital; Chief Medical Director, Reddington Hospital, Lekki and Victoria Island; Chief Medical Director, Grandville Hospital, Ajah; General Hospital, Ikeja; Chief Pathologist, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja; the Provost, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital; and the Chief Medical Director, Orthopedic Hospital, Igbobi, Lagos.

The counsel for the #EndSARS protesters said he would like to put some questions across to Sanwo-Olu, Fashola and others in furtherance of his clients’ case.

Ogunlana said Sanwo-Olu needed to explain, among others, “the controversial invitation of the Nigerian Army to enforce the curfew of 20/10/2020 in Lagos State and the military shooting at the Lekki Tollgate on 20/10/2020.”

The lawyer said the governor must also explain his “various interactions with the victims of the ‘Lekki shooting’ in various hospitals,” as well as “the circumstances of the governor leading a delegation to the Lekki Tollgate for inspection after the shooting of 20/10/2020 and the discovery of a particular camera,” by Fashola.

Ogunlana said Tinubu must be invited to explain the “functionality of the electronic billboard at the Lekki Tollgate” and the “basis of power disconnection of the electronic billboard at the Lekki Tollgate on 20 October, 2020.”

As for the hospitals, Ogunlana said they needed to explain the “circumstances of receipt of victims of the ‘Lekki shooting’, identification of victims and treatment of victims; the number of injured and deceased victims received by the facilities; the number of victims of ‘Lekki shooting’ at the morgues of the health facilities.”

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

East Africa News

Somali Government Intercept Smuggled Weapons, Ammunitions

The ministry did not, however, identify the entities and quantity of ammunition intercepted nor did he provide any proof to back up the report either.

Published

on

The Somali government has commenced investigations into the source and origin of certain sophisticated weapons and ammunition which it intercepted while they were being smuggled into the country.

The country’s minister of information said there had been an attempt by Somali and foreign entities, to illegally import high caliber weapons and ammunition into the country without government knowledge and permission.

In a statement issued in the capita Mogadishu, the minister said “the federal government of Somali has a robust system in the supply chain of weapons and ammunition from the point of procurement to post distribution, and it is these existing frameworks that have enabled the government to respond timely and block the deliveries.”

The ministry did not, however, identify the entities and quantity of ammunition intercepted nor did he provide any proof to back up the report either.

The ministry said the Somali government takes very seriously, violations of territorial sovereignty and integrity as well as any actions that can have potential destabilizing effects.

“The government is investigating the origin and motives of the weapons and ammunition it has blocked intended for Somalia,” the report said.

Shortly after Somali plunged into civil war 25 years ago, The United Nations imposed a blanket arms embargo on the nation.

The statement followed hours of fighting in the southern town of Beled Hawo between the security forces of Jubaland and and government forces as the two sides battled to take control of the strategic town which is a key entry of the Gedo region.

The Somali government did however say its forces managed to repel the militia group, and managed to recover illegally imported arms and ammunition, also flushing out Jubaland security forces.

Bothe sides have reportedly suffered casualties, even though the local authorities have not established the number involved.

This is not the first time that The Somali government and Jubaland forces will battle over that land. In March 2020, both forces were engaged in a similar battle to take control of the town.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

East Africa Politics News

Kenyans Applaud Priest for Lambasting President Kenyatta, Others

Published

on

A Kenyan priest, Rev Sammy Wainaina, has warmed his way into the hearts of most Kenyans after he lambasted the top politicians over their handling of the country’s affairs.

A video of the Wainaina, who is the provost of the All Saints Cathedral in the capital Nairobi, slamming President Uhuru Kenyatta and others has been widely shared on social media.

Commenters praised the reverend for speaking truth to power.

In his Sunday sermon, Wainaina criticised an ongoing campaign to change Kenya’s constitution that will see the post of a prime minister and deputies reintroduced in the executive arm of government.

He said the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) would not solve the country’s urgent problems like unemployment and poverty.

“We have money for BBI which will only benefit a few people at the top, the kingpins… but we have no money to build schools, then our children [are forced ] to learn under trees,” he said.

“Let me remind Kenyans that when your tribal man becomes the president or takes the five top seats, you will remain poor,” he added.

But he saved his most stinging criticism for President Kenyatta, who recently said that Kenya was losing more than two billion shillings ($18m) a day to corruption.

“What are you telling Kenyans when you confess that? That you are defeated? Who will then save this country if the president cannot save us?” he asked.

“Mr president, you have the ethics and anti-corruption commission, you have the director of public prosecutions, you have the national intelligence service, you have every government machinery at your disposal.

“Either the government knows who is stealing the Kenyans’ money, or the government is part of the stealing?” he said, adding that he would no longer host politicians in his church.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

East Africa News

Ugandan Court Rules Against Bobi Wine’s House Arrest

Bobi Wine and his wife Barbra Kyagulanyi, sought unconditional release from house detention following a week-long siege on his home by security.

Published

on

The High Court in Kampala has ruled that security forces cannot place presidential challenger Bobi Wine on house arrest.

Bobi Wine and his wife Barbra Kyagulanyi, sought unconditional release from house detention following a week-long siege on his home by security.

The 38-year-old pop star-turned-politician has not been able to leave his home in Magere, Kasangati Town Council after he returned from casting his vote where he ran against long-serving incumbent President Yoweri Museveni.

Ugandan authorities say Bobi Wine can only leave his home on the outskirts of the capital, Kampala, under military escort because they fear his presence in public spaces could provoke revolt.

Rebuking authorities for holding the candidate under house arrest following a disputed election, Justice Michael Elubu said in his ruling that Wine’s home is not an appropriate facility for arrest and noted that authorities should charge him for crimes if he threatens public order.

Lawyer George Musisi said “The judge ordered that the state and its agencies should immediately vacate his property and his right to personal liberty should immediately be reinstated,”

Wine’s friends and supporters celebrated the Judge’s pronouncement, it however remains uncertain if authorities will respect the judge’s where similar orders have been ignored in many cases concerning opposition leaders.

Official results show that Museveni won the election with 58% of the vote while Wine had 34%. Wine insists he has evidence to prove that the military subverted popular will by casting ballots for voters and chasing voters away from polling units thereafter.

Wine has accused Museveni of staging a “coup” in the just concluded election urged his supporters to protest against his loss through nonviolent means.

Museveni has dismissed allegations of vote-rigging, calling the election “the most cheating-free” since independence from Britain in 1962.

The January 14 election was marred by pre-election violence resulting in the vehicular blockade, threats to life, death of over fifty citizens, and disruption of opposition political itinerary, campaign as well as an internet blockade that remained in force for five days. Social media sites remain restricted.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Trending