A fire accident has gutted the building of the Household of David Church located in the industrial layout off Adeniyi Jones, in Ikeja, Lagos State.
The fire reportedly started at around 11 a.m. on Wednesday from the roof of the church while preparations were ongoing for the Day 1 of their annual programme, Mercy Conference, and engulfed the building in less than 10 minutes.
No life was lost and no one sustained injuries recorded before and after the incident. However, property and equipment worth millions of Naira were lost.
The fire service of the Lagos State government was contacted immediately but didn’t arrive at the venue until much later.
The Senior Pastor of the Church, Sola Osunmakinde told newsmen after the accident.
”I came here this morning, everyone was setting up and everything going fine. All of a sudden we started hearing that there was a fire up there on the roof of the church and it became bigger.
”From the beginning, we called the Fire Services who did not arrive until one hour after.” Pastor Osunmakinde said.
“Painfully, we watched as everything got burnt completely, every a.c, seat, and equipment in the church.”
Confirming the incident, the Lagos State Fire Service spokesperson, Amodu Shakiri, disclosed that the church’s auditorium ceiling was overheating, which caused the ceiling to cave in and ignite a fire.
He explained further that the damage is being contained by members of the fire department and other relevant agencies at the scene.