Connect with us

East Africa News

Gunmen Shoot Six Dead In Burundi1 minute read

Published

on

Six people were on Friday shot dead in the northern part of Burundi by unidentified gunmen, the regional governor has said.

The killings come weeks after a similar incident occurred in a southern province.

Remy Cishahayo, army colonel and governor of Kayanza province, said unidentified gunmen launched the attack on Thursday night from the Kibira forest and fled to the same area after the attack.

“They arrived at a small centre, … killed six people including two kids studying in primary school II and V,” Cishahayo confirmed on state-owned National Radio Television of Burundi.

The centre attacked on Thursday is near the forest. The forest in the past served as cover for the ruling CNDDFDD – The National Council for the Defence of Democracy, Forces for the Defence of Democracy party – during its rebellion.

Two people were wounded and are receiving treatment, while the attackers kidnapped one person, Cishahayo said.

“People should stay calm and united ensuring security together ” Cishahayo said, adding the situation has returned to normalcy.

In late August, gunmen attacked the district of Bugarama in the southern province of Rumonge, where at least 16 people died in shooting with security forces.

Red Tabara, a rebel group fighting Burundi’s government and based in the Democratic Republic of Congo, claimed responsibility for the attack.

East Africa News

Rwanda Genocide Suspect, Félicien Kabuga, Loses Extradition Appeal

Published

on

One of the world’s most wanted men on Wednesday lost his appeal against being handed over to an international court to be tried for his alleged role in the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

The Court of Cassation in Paris upheld an order from a lower court that Felicien Kabuga be handed over to a UN tribunal on charges including genocide, persecution and extermination.

He was also accused of financing the genocide.

Kabuga was arrested from his home outside Paris after 26 years on the run. He has lived under a false name throughout the time. He outwitted prosecutors of the Rwandan genocide tribunal for more than two-and-a-half decades by using 28 aliases and powerful connections across two continents to evade capture.

The 84-year-old had been on the run for so long that the international tribunal set up to bring to justice those responsible for the 1994 genocide had ceased to work.

Kabuga, born in 1933 or 1935, was a wealthy businessman at the time of the atrocities in which more than 800,000 people were killed.

An indictment from the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) alleged that he chaired a notorious radio station that helped orchestrate the genocide against the Tutsi ethnic minority.

He is also accused of agreeing with others to create and fund a genocidal militia in the capital Kigali, and establishing a fund to finance the killings.

Rwandan prosecutors have said in the past that financial documents found in Kigali after the genocide indicated that he used his companies to import vast quantities of machetes from China which were used to slaughter victims.

No further appeal against his extradition is possible in the French legal system, although his lawyers could take a case to the European Court of Human Rights.

He denies all the charges, describing the accusations as “lies” during a court appearance in May.

Continue Reading

East Africa Business News

Ethiopian House of Reps Approves Danish Loan for 100-MW Assela Wind Project

The loan was approved unanimously by the House of Peoples’ Representatives, and includes a five-year grace period.

Bernard Akede

Published

on

The Ethiopian parliament has approved a loan agreement

The Ethiopian parliament has approved a loan agreement between the country’s finance ministry and Danish lender Danske Bank A/S (CPH:DANSKE). The loan which was agreed upon last week, is aimed at financing the 100-MW Assela wind farm project.

The loan which is to be repaid in 20 years, is for EUR 117.3 million (USD 136.5m). According to the parliament’s website, the loan was approved unanimously by the House of Peoples’ Representatives, and includes a five-year grace period.

The Danske Bank loan is supported by the government of Denmark through the country’s ministry of foreign affairs’ development assistance Danida.

With the funds made available, the Assela project is now advancing towards the construction phase.

Wind turbine maker Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA (BME:SGRE) have been saddled with the responsibility of building the wind farm. The farm is expected to be located near the town of Iteya in the Oromia regional state, some 150 kilometres (93.2 miles) south of Addis Ababa.

The Danish embassy in Addis Ababa said once operations at the farm commence, the 29-turbine wind farm is expected to generate some 330,000 kWh annually and supply electricity to more than three million people.

In a statement provided by the Danish embassy, Seleshi Bekele, the Ethiopian minister of water, irrigation and energy, said “I am pleased to see the agreement to develop the Assela I Wind Farm, which will diversify the Ethiopian renewable energy mix, has been passed by the Parliament. I am grateful to the Danish government’s generosity to provide grant and concessional finance.”

Continue Reading

East Africa News

Somalia Parliament Approves New Prime Minister

Mohamed Hussein occupies an office that was left vacant since the removal of former premier Hassan Ali Khaire

Bernard Akede

Published

on

Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed has appointed a new prime minister

Somalia’s President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed has appointed a Prime Minister only hours after brokering an agreement with regional leaders for elections next year that abandons the one-person, one-vote model which was earlier promised.

Late on Thursday, the office of the president announced the appointment of Mohamed Hussein Roble, a Sweden-trained civil engineer who is new on the political scene. He has been urged to take duties and tasks ahead of him with diligence.

Mohamed Hussein occupies an office that has been left vacant since the removal of former premier Hassan Ali Khaire by parliament in July for failing to pave the way for fully democratic elections due before February 2021.

There had been ongoing negotiations between the government in Mogadishu and Somalia’s federal states over how to proceed with the parliamentary and presidential elections.

The process has however been held-up by disagreements between the president and the country’s regional leaders.

The country had decided to hold its first fully democratic, one-man one-vote election since 1969, The past was a system where special delegates picked lawmakers who then vote for the president.

But the president, five regional leaders and the mayor of Mogadishu had reached an agreement conceding that such a vote will not be possible between now and November which is the time left before Somalia’s parliament needs to be changed, and Farmajo’s term ends in February.

The negotiators said in an official communique, that delegates from Somalia’s myriad clans will elect the 275 MPs of the lower house, which will in turn choose the president.

While the process shares a resemblance with the last election held in 2017, it goes a bit further in terms of inclusivity, with a total of 27,775 delegates voting, nearly twice the total number from last time.

Continue Reading

Trending