Connect with us

Central Africa News

In the Central African Republic, a new peace deal offers some hope4 minutes read

The agreement includes plans for joint patrols and a truth and reconciliation commission.

News Central

Published

on

Central African president Faustin-Archange Touadera (L) inks a peace deal next to Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir in Khartoum on February 05, 2019. ASHRAF SHAZLY / AFP
Central African president Faustin-Archange Touadera (L) inks a peace deal next to Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir in Khartoum on February 05, 2019. ASHRAF SHAZLY / AFP

The Central African Republic will shortly set up a truth and reconciliation commission to shed light on its violent past, under a peace deal signed by the country’s beleaguered government and militia groups.

The accord, agreed in Khartoum by the CAR and 14 militia groups who control most of the country, has boosted hopes of an end to a long and bloody conflict in one of the world’s most troubled states.

But the deal has been shadowed by doubts about what it actually contains — details have been kept under wraps until the last three parties to the accord sign it.

A copy of the accord obtained by reporters on Friday spells out important confidence-building measures but is muted on the thorny issue of whether warlords will be amnestied.

One of its most important provisions is to set up a “truth, justice, reparation and reconciliation commission” within 90 days.

The panel will be tasked with “identifying and proposing any action likely to be taken in the area of justice,” it says.

Parties to the deal also commit to setting up joint security patrols with soldiers and members of armed groups for two years. 

Militia patrolmen who join these patrols will have had “sufficient training of two months,” says the accord.

The accord is the eighth attempt in nearly six years to forge peace in the war-ravaged country, where human rights groups have documented a long list of murders, extra-judicial killings, torture and rape.

The goal is to set out down a pathway to peace between militia groups who control most of the country and the UN-backed government.

The accord was initialled in the Sudanese capital on Tuesday before being signed in the capital Bangui on Wednesday by some militia leaders and President Faustin-Archange Touadera.

The three other signatories may sign during the upcoming summit of the African Union (AU), taking place in Addis Ababa on Sunday and Monday, according to government spokesman Ange Maxime Kazagui.

Central African armed groups leaders attend the inking of a peace deal in Khartoum on February 05, 2019. ASHRAF SHAZLY / AFP

Conflict in the CAR has left thousands dead and forced an estimated quarter of the population of 4.5 million from their homes. The rural exodus, the UN warned last year, could drive the country into famine.

The crisis erupted in 2012, when a rebel movement called the Seleka rose in the north of the country.

The following year, the insurgents overthrew President Francois Bozize, triggering a militia called the anti-Balaka.

France, the former colonial ruler, intervened militarily under a UN mandate as fears grew of a Rwandan-style genocide.

The Seleka were forced from power and in February 2016, Touadera, a former prime minister, was elected president.

A UN peacekeeping force of some 13,000 troops and police has been deployed in support of Touadera.

But militia  groups — typically portraying themselves as defenders of a community or religious group — still control some 80 percent of the country.

Fighting often erupts between these forces over control of mineral resources, which range from gold and diamonds to uranium.

One of the biggest stumbling blocks on the road to peace has been demands by rebel leaders to be granted amnesties — a condition that Touadera, under pressure from western partners, has traditionally refused.

Several leaders face UN sanctions or have been accused by rights groups of abuses, and others face the notional risk of arrest in CAR itself.

A Special Criminal Court opened last year, tasked with determining cases involving violations of human rights or international humanitarian law committed since 2003, including war crimes and genocide, although it says its scope is likely to be limited by funds.

The peace agreement makes no mention of any amnesty but notes that the president has a “discretionary right of pardon” which may be invoked to “sustain the dynamic of reconciliation.”

The “reintegration” of militia leaders will be vetted on a “case-by case” basis by a mixed panel, the text adds.

The document also says there will be an “inclusive government” — another notorious stumbling block — but gives no details as to its composition.

The 14 armed groups similarly undertake to “respect the legitimacy of the (CAR’s) democratic institutions.”

And the accord says that a “law” will be passed to determine the status of former heads of state.

This is a long-standing demand of Bozize and Michel Djotodia, who ousted him in 2013.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Business News

East Africa looks to end illicit gold trade

Published

on

Countries in the East Africa region are discussing the adoption of stringent traceability mechanisms for the gold industry to stamp out rampant smuggling across East and Central Africa to overseas buyers particularly in Asia.


Mining officials from the International Conference of the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) countries are in negotiations and are meeting next month to discuss the body’s Artisanal and Small-Scale Gold Strategy which calls for harmonisation of gold export procedures including taxation and traceability and certification.


The ICGLR wants its member countries to adopt the strategy by mid-this year.


According to the director of Democracy and good Governance at ICGLR, Ambeyi Ligabo, It is disheartening to see so much gold being smuggled from the DR Congo through its neighbouring countries while much attention over the past 10 years has focused on implementing traceability for tin, tungsten and tantalum (Three Ts) in which little has been done in terms of monitoring the flow of gold in the region.


Mr Ligabo also revealed they have agreed that it is crucial to implement the ICGLR guidelines on gold trade because the region’s image has been smeared by smuggling. We hope they speed up the process so these guidelines are affected by March this year.


Rwanda’s efforts to boost gold exports has been hampered by constant reports that the country serves as a route through which gold is smuggled out of the DR Congo to overseas buyers. The government is firm that all its gold is traded legitimately.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Business News

Teodorin Obiang faces $30 million corruption fine

Published

on

A French court has ruled against Teodorin Obiang Nguema, Vice president of Equatorial Guinea, in a year – long embezzlement process launched by a group of anti-corruption NGOs
Obiang was ordered to pay a $32.9 million fine. He also faces a suspended jail term of three years after a lower court found him guilty on a range of charges relating to graft and money
laundering.
Additionally, the Paris appeals court confirmed the seizure of his property, including a six-level mansion in Paris which had been valued at €107 million in 2012.

According to Marc-Andre Feffer of Transparency International France, the ruling is an important moment.
Obiang has appealed to the International Court of Justice, arguing that his residence should be protected as a diplomatic building. A hearing on the issue has been scheduled in The Hague next week.
His legal team has one final option for appeal left — they could challenge the Monday verdict before the Cour de Cassation, France’s highest appeals court for criminal cases.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Business News

DRC’s artisanal monopoly to seek private partner

Published

on

A new state company set up by the Democratic Republic of Congo to manage the country’s artisanally mined cobalt could seek a private partner if the state does not have the funds to purchase all production, according to the country’s minister of mines, Willy Kitobo Samsoni.

DRC currently produces about 60% of the world’s cobalt. Most of which is extracted by industrial operators like Glencore and China Molybdenum, with artisanal miners accounting for about a quarter of output.

The country recently granted the new company a monopoly to purchase and market all cobalt that is not mined industrially in an effort to exert greater influence over prices.

According to Samsoni, the easiest way out is to be financed by the Congolese state, but if the state cannot raise the funds to buy all the artisanally mined cobalt, it will then have to enter into partnership with a company.

He also adds that plans for talks with financiers are on ground.

Samsoni further adds that the new company, Entreprise Generale du Cobalt (EGC) will be managed independently by state mining company,Gecamines.

Copyright News Central

All rights reserved. This post and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, broadcasted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central.

Tell your story the right way

Have you witnessed a news worthy event? Want to become our citizen journalist and tell your own stories?

Send your stories to us or contact us via:
Email: Click to email us
Social media: Twitter and Facebook @NewsCentralTV
WhatsApp: Text or call +234 901 190 0000 .

New stories delivered to your phone

Click here to have news stories delivered to your phone or mail. You can also share your stories with us. Join our mailing list here.

Continue Reading

Trending