Connect with us

News

India Arrests Nigerian For Supplying Top Bollywood Actresses Drugs1 minute read

Published

on

India’s Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) have arrested a Nigerian national for his role in the supply of narcotics to Bollywood actresses.

30-year-old Ossy Philips was arrested on Friday night near his residence at Prakruthi Layout, Yelaha.

He is the third African to be arrested in a crackdown launched last month by the Indian agency after a popular actor, Sushant Singh Rajput, was discovered dead in his apartment in June.

Rajput was belived to have died from drug-related causes.

NCB officials, investigating alleged drug use in Bollywood for the last month, believed Philips had supplied drugs to Kannada actress Ragini Dwivedi and other high-profile suspects arrested in the case

The Central Crime Branch (CCB) said Philips is an associate of Loum Pepper Samba alias Simon, the first African to have been arrested in the drugs case.

Twelve grams of Methyl​enedioxy​methamphetamine (MDMA), commonly known as ecstasy or molly, was allegedly seized from Phillips at the time of the arrest.

A court has remanded the Nigerian in police custody until September 30.

The CCB said Philips came on their radar after Samba disclosed his name.

CCB sources said Philips claimed to be an apparel trader and had arrived in India on a business visa three years ago. He lived in Tirupur, the textile hub in Tamil Nadu, for six months and then relocated to Bengaluru.

“He says he has left his visa and passport in Tirupur but we aren’t buying it,” an officer who’s part of the investigation.

Meantime, the NDPS special court remanded party organiser Viren Khanna in police custody until September 30. Khanna’s police custody in the drugs case registered at the Cottonpet police station ended on Friday. 

News

Africa in 60 – 28th October 2020

In case you missed it, here are the stories across Africa that made the headlines on Wednesday October 28th, 2020, all in one minute.

Published

on

Continue Reading

News

Nigeria’s EFCC Fail In Bid To Get Arrest Warrant For Ex-Minister, Diezani

Published

on

The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Wednesday, refused to grant the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) application seeking the court order on the issuance of a warrant of arrest against former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke.

Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu held that an affidavit with evidence in support to proof that the earlier court summon granted the agency had failed in the extradition of Diezani must be filed by the commission before another request could be made.

Ojukwu noted that the EFCC had informed the court that the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice hinted that the arrest warrant was needed to further give the international police (INTERPOL) the impetus to bring the defendant to Nigeria to answer to charges against her.

The judge, however, said it would give the anti-graft agency a room to put its house in order in the trial of the ex-minister.

“I have carefully perused the application of the prosecution. The earlier order of this court was made pursuant to Section 831 of Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA),” she said.

According to the judge, court orders are not made in vain.

“It is my view that the summon should have assisted in the extradition of the defendant by the Office of the AGF.

“Today, the defendant is not in court and no reason was given. I am being informed that the defendant is believed to be in the United Kingdom (UK).

“The learner counsel also informed the court that the extradition process has failed as a result of the absence of the warrant of arrest.

“But if that is the case, learner counsel shall file an affidavit to that effect supported by evidence from the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation.

“I hereby give you time to put your house in order,” the judge held.

Justice Ojukwu then adjourned the matter until Dec. 3 for report and arraignment of the defendant.

Earlier at the resumed hearing on Wednesday, the EFCC’s Lawyer, Farouk Abdullah reminded the court of the orders it gave and that the anti-graft agency had complied with them.

“This is evident by an affidavit of compliance filed in this case and before your lordship. It was filed on Oct 8, 2020,” he said.

He said since the defendant was not in court, the EFCC would urge the court to issue an arrest warrant against Diezani.

“My lord, this honourable court issued a summon for the defendant to appear today but the defendant has failed to appear.

“Giving the aforesaid fact, I apply that a warrant of arrest be issued against the defendant pursuant to Section 83(1b) of the ACJA 2015.

“We urge the court, in making the order, to direct all law enforcement agencies and the INTERPOL to arrest the defendant anywhere she is sighted and be brought before the court to answer to the allegation made against her before this honourable court,” he said.

According to the lawyer, we are also liaising with the office of AGF and Minister of Justice to get in touch with any country that may be hosting the defendant for the purposes of extradition in line with Extradition Act and General Convention of Nations.

He said since the summon had not been able to achieve the desired result, the need for a warrant of arrest cannot be over-emphasised.

The court had, on July 24, ordered the former minister to appeal before it and answer to the money laundering charge filed against her by the EFCC.

The judge gave the ruling on an ex-parte motion marked FHC/ABJ/CR/208/2018 brought by the EFCC’s Lawyer, Abdullah.

Ojukwu ordered the issuance of summons on Diezani for her to be arraigned on the charge.

The EFCC had accused the former minister of fleeing the country for the UK in order to escape justice.

The judge, who ordered that the court’s summons be published on the website of the anti-corruption agency and a national daily in a conspicuous manner, said the development would make it easier for Diezani to be aware of the invitation.

Abdallah had, while arguing the motion, noted that since Diezani allegedly fled the country, it was difficult to get her back to respond to the various criminal allegations against her.

He said there was the need for a court’s summons or arrest warrant to compel her appearance in court.

The lawyer, in a document filed along with the motion ex-parte, said it sought to question Diezani, without success, in relation to many allegations against her, including “her role as the Minister of Petroleum Resources and her role in the award of Strategic Alliance Agreement (SAA) to Septa Energy Limited, Atlantic Energy Drilling Concept Limited and Atlantic Energy Brass Development Limited by NNPC.

He said it also wanted Diezani to respond to questions about “her role in the chartering of private jets by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and Ministry of Petroleum Resources and her role in the award of contracts by NNPC to Marine and Logistics Services Limited.”

Abdallah said the agency was investigating Diezani’s business relationships with Mr. Donald Amamgbo, Mr. Afam Nwokedi, Chief lkpea Leemon, Miss Olatimbo Bukola Ayinde, Mr Benedict Peters, Christopher Aire, Harcourt Adukeh, Julian Osula, Dauda Lawal, Nnamdi Okonkwo, Mr. Leno Laithan, Sahara Energy Group and Midwestern Oil Limited.

He added that Dezani was also required to clear air on “her role in financing the 2015 general elections, particularly the money that were warehoused at Fidelity Bank Plc in 2015 prior to the elections.”

He said it equally wanted the ex-minister to speak on several items, documents and Jewelry recovered from her house at No: 10, Chiluba Close, off Jose Marti Street, Asokoro, Abuja, and some identified property that was linked to her In Nigeria, UK, United States of America (USA), United Arab Emirate (UAE) and South Africa.

The judge then adjourned the matter until Oct. 28 for Diezani to attend court for the purpose of her arraignment on the pending money laundering charge.

Continue Reading

News

#EndSARS: Four Police Officers Killed, 11 Stations Razed In Anambra, Says CP

Published

on

Hoodlums that hijacked anti-police brutality protests killed no fewer than four policemen in Anambra, a state in southeast Nigeria.

According to Commissioner of Police (CP), John Abang, the hoodlums also set ablaze 11 police stations in the state.

Abang made the revelation on Wednesday when he paraded 17 suspected hoodlums.

The list of 17 suspects paraded indicated that 10 of them were indigenes of Anambra, four from Ebonyi and three from Abia.

Abang said 11 Police Stations were burnt down and six vandalised during which the hoodlums carted away motorcycles, ammunition and other valuables.

He said about 20 vehicles were razed, including an Armoured Personnel Carrier and patrol vehicles.

The Commissioner who applauded his men for the professionalism with which they managed the crisis, said lives of police officers in the state were still in danger as hoodlums were still on their trail and most cannot go home.

“It is common knowledge that hoodlums acting under the guise of the “EndSARS” protest attacked Police Stations in some parts of the State which resulted into loss of lives, looting and wanton destruction of property

“The hoodlums set ablaze 11 Police Stations, vandalised six, burnt over 20 vehicles, including patrol and exhibit vehicles and an Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC).

“The Police also lost some rifles during the attacks.

“In the course of these heinous acts, the hoodlums murdered four police officers, including the DPO of Osumenyi Division, CSP Akpan Joseph, ASP Agu Micheal, the Station Officer and a young Police Corporal, Udegbunam Sunday Celestine, while leaving two others injured.

“In their state of callousness, the hoodlums also murdered and beheaded Insp. John Oche, attached to the Anti- Cultism Unit and burnt his body while parading the streets with the deceased policeman’s head,” he said.

Abang said other private and public property were vandalised and looted by the hoodlums, including the state Revenue House, OCHA Brigade office and private trucks loaded with goods were attacked and valuable property looted.

He said the loss of lives and the destruction of property would have been more if his officers and men did not protect Police property gallantly.

The Police Commissioner thanked Gov. Willie Obiano, traditional rulers and town unions for their support for the Police at this trying time and for their efforts at bringing peace to the state.

“Despite concerted efforts by the hoodlums to create a state of lawlessness in Anambra, the Command stood its ground and repelled their attacks in various formations such as Area Commands in Onitsha, Ogidi, Awada, CPS Onitsha, Inland town and the B Division.

“Meanwhile, in the course of the decisive action by the Police, 17 suspects were arrested in connection with the incidents with several exhibits, including one AK47 Rifle stolen from Ogbunike Division, which has been recovered by operatives of the Command,” he added

Continue Reading

Trending