Connect with us

Entertainment

Joburg’s Festival Of Lights Called Off Due To New Lockdown Regulations In South Africa

Published

on

The Festival of Lights which was due to start at the Johannesburg Zoo on Tuesday has now been parked due to the announcement of  SA’s move to level 3 of the lockdown regulations.

The organizers of the festival mentioned that the decision was taken jointly by stakeholders which included Joburg city parks and zoo, metro bus services and city power.

The festival which is now in its second year has a sparkling collection of music, Christmas carols, night markets, children play areas and illuminated life sized characters. This festival was supposed to run up until January 3.

According to organizers of the event, the festival tickets had already been sold out for all the days slated, and they even had all COVID-19 protocols in place.

The CEO of Joburg City Theatres, Xoliwa Nduneni Ngema says its in the best interest of all to put a halt to the event.

In his words, said tickets had already been sold out for all days of the event which was initially scheduled to go ahead with Covid-19 protocols in place.

Joburg City Theatres CEO Xoliswa Nduneni Ngema said it was in the best interests of all to halt the event. 

“Out of patriotic duty to prioritise the safety and health of our staff members, performers and patrons, I urge us all to cooperate and follow the president’s instructions so we can overcome this unprecedented pandemic. We are looking forward to a healthy 2021 as we have opened bookings for upcoming productions.”

However, the organisers have offered patrons online entertainment by streaming previous editions of the sleeping beauty pantomime of 2015.

The organisers have also provided an option for those seeking refunds, while urging their patrons to support the theater in these critical times by not requesting a refund. According to them, this gesture will enable the theatre to weather the storm and bring more classical performances when the lockdown is over.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Entertainment

Tacha Reacts to Internet Trolls Following Bandele’s Death

Published

on

Reality TV star, Tacha has called out Big brother Nigeria fans who refuse to realise that the reality show is just a game, and would wish death on others for supporting their favourite housemate.

Yet these same people, mourned Digital Strategist, Ayodele Bandele who recently died after suffering years of depression.

According to Tacha, being unkind drives people to depression. While expressing displeasure, she also urged people on social media to be kind with words when dealing with strangers online because they do not know people’s battles.

Recently, a young Nigerian man in Lagos identified as Dele, who was declared missing on Tuesday, January 12, was found dead after battling depression for 7years.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Entertainment

A New Disney+ Yvonne Orji Autobiography Comedy Series Looms

Published

on

The autobiography comedy series titled ‘First Gen’ will be co-produced by David Oyelowo and Oprah Winfrey.
The Nigerian-American, Yvonne Orji revealed that she has begun developing an autobiography comedy series for Disney+ which will span about 30 minutes.

The series titled ‘First Gen’ will take us through Yvonne Orji’s experiences as a Nigerian immigrant growing up in America.

According to Deadly report, ‘First Gen’ co-produced by David Oyelowo and Oprah Winfrey, will explore culture clash as detailed by the HBO ‘Insecure’ star. “As a child, she’s caught between trying to honour her parents and culture while simultaneously trying to assimilate to American life”, the report reads.

Emmy-nominated “Insecure” co-star Yvonne Orji confirmed this in a post on her Instagram page.

“The trailer I shot in 2015 for this family sitcom I desperately wanted to create, is what helped me get an audition for @insecurehbo. FIVE YEARS LATER (after being told “NO” SEV. ER. AL. Times), my Lil engine that could, finally has a home with the @disneyplus family. Thank you @davidoyelowo for believing in the dream FROM JUMP, and Lady @oprah for coming on board as our Fairy Godmother”.
“I’ve been very vocal about my desire to highlight stories from the Continent, and I’m grateful to have this opportunity to do so”.
Orji’s latest Disney+ deal comes in the wake of her successful HBO ‘Momma, I Made It!’ comedy show which also details the actress’s Nigerian and American upbringing.

This is the second collaboration between Oyelowo’s Yoruba Saxon and Winfrey’s Harpo Films. The two companies recently produced Oyelowo’s feature directorial debut, The Water Man, in which Oyelowo also stars. The film premiered at the 2020 Toronto International Film Festival. Additionally, Oyelowo headlined Ava DuVernay’s feature Selma, which Winfrey produced and co-starred in.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Entertainment

D’Banj Announces New Album ‘Ikebe’

Published

on

Nigeria’s popular musician, Oladapo Oyebanjo a.k.a D’Banj, says 2021 will be marked in grand style as he plans to launch his new album “Ikebe” before the end of the first quarter.

D’Banj made this known in Abuja, during a listening brunch of the album, which also had other tracks like “Banga” and “Antidote”.

“Ikebe”, which literally means buttock, was produced by Nigeria’s talented producer Rexxie.

D’Banj said he delivered the melodious number to create awareness on the need for the male gender to thread carefully this year, as heard on the track, after a turbulent 2020 ended with testimony of him welcoming his second child.

According to the artiste, the track says “oh Lord, help me, I no wan sin. I tell my body say you go die for this “Ikebe”.

“So much has happened in my life in a short time, which appeared to be long; so this album and others like ‘banga’ and ‘antidote’ is about my personal life and I needed to express myself.

“I want to use the track ‘Ikebe’ to make a statement and preach what I stand for, which is respecting women and their rights, after my wife and I welcomed our second child and first baby girl.

“I needed to use them to relaunch myself into the music world and I was inspired by three things.

“Going through life in the last three years, it has been full of God’s blessings because he restored me after the death of my son.

“People ask me how I deal with pain of the loss and what was going through my mind and these tracks tell exactly how I dealt with it,” D’Banj said.

He expressed appreciation to his family and friends, who stood by him in time of grief, noting that God restored their lives through their prayers and messages.

The music icon also hailed his songwriters especially the one based in Loss Angeles, U.S, who inspired another track “Antidote”.

He said love was the antidote that helped him and his wife to overcome the death of their son.

The music producer, Rexxie, said the songs would get people dancing and can make one feel happy and reflect on past issues.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Trending