Connect with us

East Africa News

Kenyan Woman Arrested For Attempting To Kill Her Baby2 minutes read

Published

on

A Kenyan woman has been arrested and charged for allegedly attempting to kill her baby in Nakuru Country in the northwest of Nairobi, the country’s capital.

Jane Chepkoech had allegedly tried to kill her newly born daughter by dumping her in a pit latrine on September 24, 2020.

Senior Resident Magistrate of a Nakuru County Court, Yvonne Khatambi, allowed the police to detain the 37-year-old suspect for seven days.

Khatambi ruled that investigations into the attempted infanticide required a week to be concluded.

“The suspect will remain in police custody for seven days to enable the police to conduct investigations into the alleged incident,” directed Khatambi.

Chepkoech will be detained at Mwariki Police Station following a request by corporal Abraham Simotwo.

Simotwo, who applied for the detention of Chepkoech as they investigate alleged infanticide, told the court that the suspect allegedly after giving birth threw her baby in a pit latrine in an attempt to end its life at their home of Kwa Senior Estate within Nakuru.

He said that the suspect’s landlord Peter Munene reported to the police that an infant was heard crying inside the rental premise’ pit latrine.

He said that the police together with members of the public managed to rescue the infant from the latrine and escorted her to Rift Valley Provision General Hospital where she was admitted and now in stable condition.

He added that the suspect was identified and apprehended by the public shortly after the baby was rescued on September 24.

“The suspect had blood stains on her cloth and appeared disturbed. She was taken to the hospital, examined and treated,” he said.

She was discharged on Thursday and detained at the station for the offense of attempted infanticide.

Khatambi said that he needed ten days to conduct investigations and do a DNA test on the suspect and the child to confirm their relationship.

The case will be mentioned on October 9.

East Africa News

Parliament in Somalia endorses new PM Roble’s Cabinet

The new Cabinet formed includes eight women – four ministers, a State minister and three deputy ministers.

Bernard Akede

Published

on

The new Cabinet formed

The new Cabinet formed last Monday by Somalia’s Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble, has been approved by the Lower House of the country’s Federal Parliament.

A list of 71 ministers, State ministers and deputy ministers was presented by the Premier to the legislators, stating that their selection was based on their integrity and capacities.

“I have selected the ministers upon closely examining their abilities to deliver services to the people,” he said in a brief speech.

All MPs present, 188 in number, voted in favour of the new Cabinet by show of hands.

The new Cabinet formed includes eight women – four ministers, a State minister and three deputy ministers. 

While delivering a speech to seek parliamentary approval of his portfolio holders and political programme, PM Roble emphasized the zeal of his government to tackle the country’s most pressing issues, particularly insecurity as well as the smooth running of the anticipated general election in 2020 and 2021.

The return of most of the deposed PM’s Cabinet members had been anticipated by many analysts.

However, in the new Cabinet formed, a number senior ministers lost positions. Among them were the holders of the Defense, Internal Security, Interior, Information and Education dockets.

The ministers of Commerce and Industry as well as Public Works did not appear in the new list.

Those who retained their positions in the cabinet include Deputy PM Mahdi Mohamed Guled alias Khadar, Foreign minister Ambassador Ahmed Issa Awad and Finance minister Dr Abdirahman Dualeh Beile.

Others are Health minister Dr Fawzia Abikar Nur and Planning minister Jamal Mohamed Hussein.

The new Cabinet comprises of 27 ministers, 27 deputy ministers and 17 state ministers.

Continue Reading

East Africa News

COVID-19: Rwanda makes EU “safe list”

The move follows a review under the recommendation on the gradual lifting of the temporary restrictions on non-essential travel into the EU.

Bernard Akede

Published

on

the European Union

According to a statement from the European Union Council on October 22, Rwanda has been listed by the European Union, among the countries on which Covid-19 travel restrictions into the EU territory should be gradually lifted.

The move follows a review under the recommendation on the gradual lifting of the temporary restrictions on non-essential travel into the EU.

Some of the criteria which the European Union considers for lifting travel restrictions on third countries (countries that are not members of the EU as well as countries whose citizens do not enjoy the European Union right to free movement) include their epidemiological situation and containment measures, including physical distancing, as well as economic and social considerations.

Some of the other countries from which the restrictions have been lifted are Singapore, South Korea, Australia, Japan, Uruguay, Thailand, and New Zealand.

This now means that Rwanda is the only country in African to feature on the list.

The EU Council’s statement, however, indicates that this list will continue to be reviewed regularly and, as the case may be, updated.

In addition, the statement also says that European Union Council recommendation is not a legally binding instrument.

To this end, the authorities of the member states are responsible for  implementing the content of the recommendation, where they may, in full transparency, lift only progressively travel restrictions towards the listed countries.

In the past few weeks, Rwanda has been reporting progress in the fight against Covid-19. As of today, Rwanda has recorded a total of 5,062 cases of which 4,806 have recovered and 34 have died.

Continue Reading

East Africa News

Somalia Arrests 10 For Trafficking Cheetahs

Published

on

Somalia’s Somaliland on Tuesday said ten suspects who have been rounded up in two separate incidents of wildlife trafficking in the past three weeks have been arrested.

The police said some suspects were arrested in Hargeisa while attempting to sell three young cheetah cubs to the highest bidder while others were nabbed after being caught in possession of cheetah cubs.

Kayse Sudi Arale police spokesperson said in a statement “we successfully confiscated 10 cheetah cubs from a known gang of traffickers in the Xeedho area on the outskirts of Hargeisa.

“Two key suspects are in police custody, and they will be brought to justice as soon as possible.’’

The cubs from the two incidents were placed in the immediate care of Cheetah Conservation Fund (CCF), Ministry of Environment and Rural Development’s partner in the counter cheetah-trafficking project.

The CCF said its veterinarians and animal care staff examined the animals and found a host of health problems typically seen in cheetahs that have been in the hands of unskilled captors for more than just a few days.

Continue Reading

Trending