Connect with us

Featured

Limited Number of Fans to attend CAF Champions League Final

Published

on

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has given the thumbs up for fans to attend the CAF Champions League final between Egyptian giants Zamalek and Al Ahly, according to a board member of the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) Mohamed Fadl.

The final is set for the 27th of November at the Cairo International Stadium, and there were doubts earlier about the attendance of fans on the day amid the coronavirus crisis.

“We contacted CAF regarding fans’ attendance and we got the official approval today,” Fadl told a local TV channel late on Sunday.

“CAF agreed to allow from 5,000 to 10,000 supporters to attend in the stands amid applying all precautionary measures.

“Security authorities will make the final decision within 48 hours and if we got the approval work will start immediately to arrange stadium’s entries and ensure intervals between supporters,” he added.

Zamalek qualified for the final by beating Moroccan side Raja Casablanca with a 4-1 aggregate victory, while Al Ahly got to the final with a victory over another Casablanca based side, Wydad 5-1 on aggregate.

Al Ahly a looking to extend their Champions League record with their ninth title, and their first since 2013. For Zamalek they have won the CAF Champions League five times and re are looking to win the title for the first time since 2002.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

East Africa Politics News

AU Calls for Dialogue Over Kenya-Somalia Border Tension

Fighting broke out between Somalia National Forces and regional Jubbaland fighters, which Somalia claims were trained in Kenya.

Published

on

The African Union (AU) has expressed concern over the rising tensions at the common border between Kenya and Somalia, where there was sporadic violence in Bula-Hawo. It called for dialogue to deescalate tension.

Fighting broke out between Somalia National Forces and regional Jubbaland fighters, which Somalia says were trained in Kenya.

On the Somali side where the battle occurred on Monday morning, at least nine people, including civilians, were killed.

The AU Commission Chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat has called on the two sides to stop the fighting and use multilateral channels to air their grievances.

“I’m following the tensions on the Kenya-Somalia border with concern, and urge the two neighbours to exercise restraint and engage in dialogue in conformity with the Igad-led process.

“Peace on the Kenya-Somalia border is vital to regional stability.”

Faki’s comments came as Mogadishu insisted it had confirmed weapons from Kenya had been used in the fight, although no evidence was immediately provided for the claims which Kenya rejected.

Kenya wrote to the African Union, on Monday, expressing security concerns, after federal and regional forces from Somalia renewed fighting at Bula-Hawo in Gedo near Mandera County.

Kenya said the fighting most likely will create a security crisis especially as the two countries no longer have diplomatic relations.

“Kenya’s primary concern is that the renewed fighting engenders large scale displacement of civilians inside Somalia and increasingly generate large numbers of refugees and asylum seekers to Kenya, therefore aggravating the already dire humanitarian situation in Somalia and in the refugee camps in Kenya,” said a statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

“Kenya is concerned that if the fighting continues unabated, the situation could further destabilise the region, complicate the security situation and reverse the gains made in the fight against terrorism.”

On the Kenyan side in Mandera, the fighting has disrupted normal business and other activities as schools and shops have been shut for fear of violence. Ali Roba, the governor of Mandera, said some Kenyans were injured in the incident.

The battle between both forces, the SNA and Jubbaland fighters, began at about 1am Monday with the fight going on all through the day.

After taking out the Jubbaland forces loyal to the Abdirashid Hassan Abdinur alias Abdirashid Janan, the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) soldiers have been camping at Bula-Hawo town since March last year.

Abdirashid Janan, a Jubbaland minister for security, is wanted by Mogadishu.

Janan and his army crossed into Kenya and hid in Mandera town, after they were overpowered in March last year.

The tensions between Somalia and Kenya saw Mogadishu cut diplomatic ties with Nairobi in December last year. But Kenya has since rejected claims that it interfered with Somalia’s internal affairs.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Featured

Yoruba Activist Sunday Igboho’s N50M Ibadan Residence Razed By Fire, Police Blame Hoodlums

Published

on

One of the houses of Sunday Adeyemo, also known as Sunday Igboho, has been gutted by fire.

Sources close to the activist explained that his Ibadan home located at Soka area started burning around 3:00 a.m. on Tuesday. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.

Igboho who spoke with journalists said the arsonists fired gunshots before breaking in.

He said, “Around 3.30 am today, my younger ones residing at my old house rushed to my gate to wake me up, saying some bandits came to the house, fired gunshots, broke the gate, and set the house ablaze. The two people at the house managed to escape. By the time I got there, the bandits had escaped. So, we called firefighters to help us put out the fire.”

Mr Adeyemo no longer lives in the house affected by the fire.

The fire incident occurs days after Mr Igboho led his followers and aggrieved residents to Igangan in Ibarapa area of Oyo State to eject the Fulani leader of Igangan, Salihu Abdukadir.

He accused the Fulani leader of harbouring criminal herders who were kidnapping and killing residents of the community.

Mr Abdullahi rejected the allegations, saying members of his community have also been victims of the criminality perpetrated by kidnappers and other outlaws.

As of the time of this report. we can not confirm the cause of the fire that gutted Mr Igboho’s house.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Featured

Zimbabwe’s Tugwi-Mukosi Dam Makes Historic Spill

The spilling in a good rainy season means that the combined flows of the upper Tugwi and Mukosi rivers can now flow down Tugwi River unobstructed from the spillway into Runde River, already running at flood levels.

Published

on

Zimbabwe’s Tugwi-Makosi dam with a capacity of 1.8 billion cubic metres in Southern Masvingo, spilled for the first time on Saturday following continuous rains around the structure.

The historic event has spawned fears of flooding in Tugwi and Runde rivers downstream of the water amid concerns of increased water volumes.

The Tugwi-Makosi dam located at the confluence of Tugwi and Mukosi rivers along the border between Chivi and Masvingo districts has never hit 100 percent since its commissioning in May 2017. It remained at 72.4 percent in its first season of operation. 

The spilling of Zimbabwe’s largest interior water body signifies that the dam has amassed sufficient water for irrigation.  This aligns with plans by Zimbabwean government to create a perennial greenbelt in the Lowveld.

The Zimbabwe National Water Authority (ZINWA) tweeted: “For the first time since its commissioning in 2017, Tugwi-Mukosi is 100 percent full and spilling.”

Government and its development partners have been preparing for the worst after spilling of the dam amid reports that hundreds of families in southern Chivi, Chiredzi, Mwenezi and boundaries of Tugwi river might be severely impacted by the overflow.

ZINWA spokesperson Marjorie Munyonga affirms the impact of the ongoing spilling as it offers an opportunity to test the dam’s resilience.

“The spilling is also historic in that it has tested and confirmed the design capacity of the spillway and the dam structure,” Munyonga said.

“We are now able to test and confirm that the dam design is able to withstand its full capacity.”

She dismissed reports that at full capacity, Tugwi-Mukosi Dam was threatening to destroy the Masvingo-Beitbridge Highway.

Camps at Chingwizi and Chilonga Secondary School have been set up to provide temporary shelter for flood-stricken families. 

Tugwi-Mukosi was initially billed to irrigate 25,000ha but advances in irrigation technology saw the figure ramped up to more than 40,000ha.

Join our newsletter


Continue Reading

Trending