Connect with us

Politics

Man On Trial For Creating, Sharing Fake Marriage Video Of Nigeria’s President

Published

on

Kabiru Mohammed, a Nigerian man accused of creating and sharing a fake video of President Muhammadu Buhari marrying one of his female cabinet ministers in 2019, has been brought before a court in the country’s northern Kano State.

The footage purportedly showed Buhari and the 46-year-old Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, tying the knot.

The Department of State Services arrested Kabiru Mohammed in January but only charged him on Tuesday.

The department said the suspect had confessed to creating the fake wedding video.

The court heard that the fake video had tarnished the character of the people it depicted and had caused disaffection within their families.

The department requested the court to deny Mr Mohammed bail to allow it to conclude investigations and seek legal advice from the justice ministry in Kano state.

But the court granted him bail after his lawyer argued that the offence was bailable. The next hearing is on 5 February 2021.

East Africa Politics News

Uganda Police Probe Killing Of Over 45 Protesters

Published

on

The Police in Uganda have commenced an investigation into the crackdown on protesters last week, that led to the death of over 45 people.

Supporters of the National Unity Platform (NUP) presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi, also known as Bobi Wine, had protested his arrest and detention by authorities for breaching COVID-19 protocols at his campaign rallies. Local and international media reports claimed that the demonstrations were met with a violent crackdown by the police.

Bobi Wine has since been released and he is back on the campaign trail.

Police spokesperson, Fred Enanga, however, said that investigation into the deaths will “identify mistakes” that led to the “collateral damage”.

Meanwhile, the European Union has already called for a “full and independent” investigation into the role of the police in the death of the protesters.

The EU – in a joint statement with the diplomatic missions to Uganda from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Sweden as well as Iceland and Norway – added that the perpetrators must be held accountable for their actions.

The statement reads, “The deaths of dozens of people amidst widespread violence marred the electoral campaign on 18th and 19th of November. We offer our sincere condolences to the families of the victims, reportedly including innocent bystanders.

“Last week, Uganda witnessed rioting, chaos as well as disproportionate use of force by security services. The Government of Uganda and its institutions have the responsibility to ensure the safety, security and dignified treatment of all citizens, including electoral candidates and their supporters, in line with national laws and Uganda’s international human rights commitments.

“As we move forward in the electoral process, we urge all political parties and electoral candidates to call upon their supporters to refrain from violence and inflammatory language, and to take firm action to end any provocation or incitement to violence or any unlawful action. All political parties, candidates and their supporters should ensure the full implementation of the COVID-19 Standard Operating Procedures and the relevant regulations designed to curb the spread of the virus.

“A full and independent investigation should be launched into the events of 18th and 19th of November, to ensure justice for victims and to avoid impunity for the perpetrators who must be held accountable for their actions.”

Continue Reading

East Africa News

South Sudan Launches Fresh Attack on SPLA-IO Base

South Sudan’s army has on Thursday launched a fresh attack against forces of the main armed opposition group and peace partner, SPLA-IO

Published

on

SOUTH SUDAN FRESH ATTACKS

South Sudan’s army on Thursday launched a fresh attack against forces of the main armed opposition group and peace partner, SPLA-IO at the Morota Unified Training centre. 

The deputy spokesman of the SPLA-IO in Juba, Colonel Lam Paul Gabriel said the attack was ordered by General Moses Lokujo who defected from the group to join the SSPDF in September.

According to Colonel Gabriel “this morning November 26, at about 6:00am, the defected force of Maj. Gen. Moses Lokujo who is now under the command and control of the SSPDF attacked the SPLA-IO component of protection force for Morota Unified Training Centre, in complete violation of the permanent ceasefire.”  

The statement also confirmed the death of one SPLA-IO soldier and two others injured as the fighting continues.

Last week, the ceasefire monitoring body, CTSSAM-VM identified General Lokujo as being responsible for the recent displacement of civilians around Kajo-Keji area. He was also accused of blocking access to a military training camp.

The revitalized peace deal expects all the parties to desist from actions that may obstruct or delay the provision of humanitarian assistance, protection of civilians, or restrict the free movement of people.

The armed opposition group further urged the SSPDF to cease attacks against it while urging that security mechanisms established under the revived peace agreement be implemented to halt the attacks.

He called on the SSPDF command to restrain Maj. Gen. Lokujo from incessant attacks against the SPLA-IO.

“It should also be noted that the forces in Morota Training Centre are not only SPLA-IO forces but a component of the unified forces under the command and control of the JTSC and JDB. Therefore, attacking this force is not only a violation but a direct attack against the Security Arrangement in particular and the R-ARCSS in general.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Burkina Faso President Roch Kabore Wins Re-election

Published

on

President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré of Burkina Faso has been re-elected to lead the West African nation for another five years.

Preliminary results from the National Independent Electoral Commission (CENI) on Thursday showed Kabore won 57.9% of the vote, while main challengers, Eddie Komboigo and Zephirin Diabre, got 15.5% and 12.5% respectively.

The President required over 50% to avoid a second round.

Burkina Faso’s election, held on November 22, was reportedly marred by insecurity that prevented a lot of people in the West African country from voting.

The main opponents had accused Kabore, who was elected in 2015, of failing to contain terrorist and ethnic violence which forced 1 million people to flee their homes during his first term.

Kabore’s opponents have raised concerns about the validity of the vote count, but the electoral commission has dismissed those allegations.

Continue Reading

Trending