Boko Haram attack leaves 10 dead in Niger

Two female suicide bombers blew themselves up and gunmen then attacked civilians
TO GO WITH AFP STORY BY BOUREIMA HAMA A Nigerian soldier stands guard near information stands in a camp for internally displaced people (IDP), home to some 300,000 Nigerian refugees and internally displaced by Boko Haram, in Diffa, Niger, on August 17, 2016, ahead of celebrations for World Humanitarian Day on August 19. (Photo by BOUREIMA HAMA / AFP)

Ten people were killed along with two suicide bombers in a coordinated attack late Tuesday by Boko Haram jihadists on a town in eastern Niger, the local mayor said.

“Two female suicide bombers blew themselves up and gunmen then attacked civilians,” the mayor of the town of N’Guigmi, Abba Kaya Issa, told AFP on Wednesday. 

“We have a provisional toll of 10 dead plus the two suicide bombers,” along with “seven or eight” wounded, he said, blaming “Boko Haram elements” for the assault.

“One of the suicide bombers blew herself up in the courtyard of a policeman’s home, which is located inside the police barracks, and the second triggered her explosives belt between the town hall, the police barracks and the prefecture,” he said, referring to the office of the state representative.

Your Friends Also Read:  Seychelles president announces 2020 re-election bid

A local resident said several houses had been burned and wounded children in the police camp had been taken to the local hospital.

Another inhabitant said “armed Boko Haram” attacked the district of Dileram, “killing civilians and torching homes”.

N’Guigmi lies in the north of the Diffa region, near Lake Chad, which has borne the brunt of cross-border infiltration by the Nigerian-based jihadists.

Eight people were killed last Thursday in the village of Karidi and 14 died in four attacks on Saturday. Fourteen soldiers have been killed since February 16.

The army says it killed “more than 200 terrorists” in the region at the end of last year, as well as 33 others on March 12.

Your Friends Also Read:  Zimbabwe says former President Robert Mugabe to be buried in hometown

An estimated 27,000 people have been killed and two million displaced since Boko Haram launched its insurgency in northeastern Nigeria 2009, a campaign that has spilled over to Burkina Faso, Niger and Chad.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article

Cameroon sees leap in non-oil revenues between 2008 and 2018

Next Article

Egyptian actors expelled from actors union for criticising President

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App