Military government offers to resume talks with protesters in Sudan

We in the military council, extend our hands to negotiations without shackles except the interests of the homeland
This handout picture released by the Saudi Royal Palace shows the head of Sudan’s ruling military council, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, attending the Arab summit held in the Saudi holy city of Mecca on May 31, 2019. (Photo by Bandar AL-JALOUD / Saudi Royal Palace / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE – MANDATORY CREDIT “AFP PHOTO / SAUDI ROYAL PALACE / BANDAR AL-JALOUD ” – NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS – DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS / “The erroneous mention[s] appearing in the metadata of this photo has been modified in AFP systems in the following manner changing the byline to: [Bandar al-Jaloud] instead of [Bandar AlDandani]. Please immediately remove the erroneous mention[s] from all your online services and delete it (them) from your servers. If you have been authorized by AFP to distribute it (them) to third parties, please ensure that the same actions are carried out by them. Failure to promptly comply with these instructions will entail liability on your part for any continued or post notification usage. Therefore we thank you very much for all your attention and prompt action. We are sorry for the inconvenience this notification may cause and remain at your disposal for any further information you may require.”

Sudan’s military authorities on Wednesday offered to resume a dialogue on a transition to democracy, one day after he scrapped all agreements with an opposition alliance.

The offer by the head of Sudan’s ruling military council, Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, came as the number of people killed since security forces stormed a protest camp in Khartoum on Monday rose to 60, according to a medical group linked to the opposition.

In a message for the Muslim Eid al-Fitr broadcast on state television, Burhan paid homage to the uprising that began in December and culminated with the military overthrow and arrest of President Omar al-Bashir in April. He was still ready to hand over power to an elected government, he said.

Your Friends Also Read:  Isabel dos Santos heads to court to sue 'Luanda Leaks' journalists

“We in the military council, extend our hands to negotiations without shackles except the interests of the homeland,” Burhan said.

Burhan had previously announced he was skipping any negotiations with protest groups and said he would organise elections within nine months.

His decision came after security forces stormed a protest camp outside the Defence Ministry in central Khartoum in an operation that resulted in the death of at least 35 people, according to the doctors’ group.

The association said more people had been killed since then throughout Khartoum and its twin city of Omdurman.

The opposition movement had earlier rejected plans by the military rulers to conduct elections in the country in nine months’ time, after over 35 people were reportedly killed in what demonstrators called a “bloody massacre” by security forces.

Your Friends Also Read:  Anxiety grips Cameroon's anglophone region ahead of national "dialogue"

Madani Abbas Madani, a leader of the opposition Freedom and Change alliance, had on Tuesday called on supporters to join in the “total civil disobedience” to force out the ruling military council

“What happened [on Monday] – the killing and injuring of protesters, the humiliation – was a systematic and planned attempt to impose repression on the Sudanese people,” Madani told reporters.

In April, president Omar al-Bashir was removed from office by the Transitional Military Council (TMC) after months of protests against his authoritarian rule and had agreed a three-year transition period to a civilian administration.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Nigerian army warns it will "deal decisively" with vote rigging

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Six provisional candidates cleared for Mauritania polls

Six provisional candidates cleared for Mauritania polls

Next Article
Protests in Chad over Deby's threat to re-introduce military courts

Protests in Chad over Deby's threat to re-introduce military courts

Related Posts