Connect with us

News

Nc Reports #Endsars protest day 6 foto story5 minutes read

News Central

Published

on

News

Group Lambastes Egypt Over Execution Of 49 People In 10 Days

Published

on

Egyptian authorities executed 15 men convicted for alleged involvement in three cases of political violence as well as 2 women and 25 men convicted in criminal cases between October 3 and 13, 2020, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on Thursday.

In a statement, the rights group asks the Egyptian Government to immediately halt executions, and re-try those sentenced to death in grossly unfair trials.

According to HRW, 13 of the 15 men charged with political violence had been held in Cairo’s Scorpion Prison.

Their executions follow a suspicious incident inside Scorpion’s death row ward on September 23 in which Interior Ministry forces killed four prisoners after those prisoners killed four security personnel. Authorities alleged the prisoners were trying to escape, the group said.

“Egypt’s mass executions of scores of people in a matter of days is outrageous,” said Joe Stork, deputy Middle East and North Africa director at Human Rights Watch.

“The systematic absence of fair trials in Egypt, especially in political cases, makes every death sentence a violation of the right to life.”

The government typically does not announce executions, or even inform the prisoner’s family.

On October 13, the pro-government Al-Masry al-Youm newspaper published the names of eight prisoners executed in the Maximum-Security Prison in Minya governorate, south of Cairo, including a woman.

On October 6, pro-government newspaper Al-Watan said authorities in Cairo Isti’naf Prison carried out 11 executions, including a woman, convicted in criminal cases.

Al-Watan reported on October 3 that authorities executed eight prisoners and on October 8 another seven in Alexandria, in murder and rape cases.

The independent Al-Shehab Center for Human Rights published on October 7 the names of 15 people it said authorities had executed on October 3. Ten had been convicted in the South Giza Case 3455 of 2014, known as the Ajnad Masr (Soldiers of Egypt) case; three in the North Giza Case 4804 of 2013, known as the Kerdasa case; and two in the East Alexandria Case 6300 of 2013, known as the Alexandria Library case.

The Kerdasa and Alexandria Library cases stem from violent events coinciding with the August 14, 2013 violent dispersal of the largely peaceful Rab’a sit-in protesting the army’s removal of President Mohamed Morsy, a day in which security forces probably killed over 1,000 protesters.

The Kerdasa case involved violent protests and an armed attack by a mob on the Kerdasa police station, killing its warden and 12 other Interior Ministry officers and soldiers, and mutilating an officer’s body.

A terrorism court sentenced 183 out of 188 defendants in a grossly unfair mass trial.

The Cassation Court, Egypt’s highest appeal court, overturned the ruling in February 2016 and ordered a retrial before a different terrorism court, which in July 2017 sentenced 20 to death, 80 to life in prison, acquitted 21, and sentenced the rest to long prison terms.

The Cassation Court upheld these sentences in September 2018. Seventeen of the 20 sentenced to death remained on death row.

Nine leading Egyptian human rights organizations said in a 2018 statement that authorities ignored basic fair trial guarantees, including access to legal counsel and the need to establish individual criminal responsibility.

In the Alexandria Library case, authorities charged 71 people following violent protests near the library and killings of 16 people, including an officer and two soldiers, in different incidents.

In September 2015, a criminal court in Alexandria sentenced three defendants to death, one of them in absentia, and the rest to prison.

The Cassation Court upheld the death sentences in July 2017 and acquitted four defendants. Human Rights Watch reviewed 66 pages of the case file comprising the indictment and the evidence, mainly unsubstantiated allegations by security officers with scant material evidence that two executed, Yasser Shokr and Yasser al-Abasiery, were responsible for the killings.

In the Ajnad Masr case, authorities charged about 45 defendants of involvement in armed attacks by Ajnad Masr, an extremist armed group, which claimed responsibility for several attacks in 2014 and 2015. In December 2017, a Giza terrorism court sentenced 13 to death, others to prison terms, and acquitted 5. In May 2019, the Cassation Court upheld the sentences. Three people from this case remain on death row.

Under President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, Egypt has become one of the top 10 countries for executions and death sentences. Those arrested for alleged political violence frequently face a host of abuses including enforced disappearances, torture to extract confessions, and no access to lawyers. In an examination of 28 death sentence cases since 2016, the Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights found that authorities had forcibly disappeared 198 people, and 212 said they had been tortured. The majority of those sentenced to death were convicted in military or terrorism court trials that do not meet fair trial standards.

Authorities routinely add dozens, sometimes hundreds, of defendants to a case without justification. Mass trials, which became the norm after 2013 in political cases, do not allow sufficient time to present a defense or to establish individual criminal responsibility.

Continue Reading

Art

I Did Not Take Direct Orders From Governor Sanwoolu- Seyi Tinubu

Samagbeyi afolasade

Published

on

CEO of LoatsAD media, Seyi Tinubu has again issued a statement to debunk rumours of him taking orders from Sanwoolu to specifically turn off the billboards of LoatsAD.


Few hours ago, Seyi Tinubi, the son of APC national leader and ex-governor of Lagos state released a statement that revealed that they shut down their billboard at the Lekki Toll gate based on the directives and the curfew order put in place by the State governor of Lagos state- Baba-Jide Sanwoolu, however some media organizations have taken this out of context to mean that he switched off the Lekki toll gate billboard on Sanwo-Olu’s order.


”Following our earlier post detailing what transpired at the Lekki toll gate yesterday, we would like to address the sensational headlines making the rounds.

Like every other business in Lagos and in compliance with the curfew issued by the Governor, we told our staff to leave all our sites at 3pm in order for them to adhere to the 4pm curfew issued. All news coverage around that period clearly show the billboard was off before 4pm (we will implore this to be verified).



All we operate is the billboard at this location and we have no control over the street lights or cctv.

When we were approached by the organisers of the protest to help them with power, we gave them unfettered use of our generator and ensured our technical staff was physically present to control the board for their use. And when the events were over he will leave at midnight.

On this occasion we were highly concerned about our staff members who live very far from Victoria Island. On no account will we have turned off our board on the same comrades we worked with throughout the entire period the protests were ongoing at the Tollplaza



Our hearts continue to go out to the victims and families of the tragic turn of events that have taken place. we are really heartbroken at the way things turned out and we pray our land is” healed by God’s grace”

This is the post Seyi TInubu put out and said was taken out of context, hereby, refering to the news of those organizations as fake, and their headlines as sensational, which he felt the need to readdress

”On Tuesday when the curfew was announced we heeded the governor’s warnings and didn’t want our staff in any danger, hence by 3pm our staff had been ordered to leave the site and the board was switched off based on the governor’s curfew request.

We had no idea what was going to happen and we feel the same aguish, pain and shock at the events that unfolded and our hearts and prayers go out to the victims and families of this ungodly act.

We believe in this movement and that it was the start of the change our generation needed to move our country forward and we will continue to support the youths of this great nation.”

Continue Reading

Art

Why We Switched Off Lekki Billboard- Seyi Tinubu

Samagbeyi afolasade

Published

on


CEO of LoatsAD media, Seyi Tinubu has issued a statement to explain why the Lekki Toll gate’s billboard was off, as well as to clear up rumours of him taking part in the attack on #EndSars protesters at Lekki Toll gate on Tuesday evening.

The son of APC national leader and ex-governor of Lagos state revealed that they shut down their billboard at the Lekki Toll gate based on the directives and the curfew order put in place by the State governor of Lagos state- Baba-Jide Sanwoolu.

The governor of Lagos state had declared a 24-hour curfew in Lagos state, following the violent trend of #EndSars protests. He said the peaceful protests had slid into a monster that is threatening social lives, and some criminal and miscreants have hidden behind the peaceful protest to unleash terror on the state, and nobody except essential service providers and first responders must be found on the streets.

Seyi Tinubu has however claimed in the statement that he released that he was following the instruction of the Governor, and he was not an ally, and had absolutely to do wth the attacks that night, and if anything, his company has assisted a lot of young Nigerians, and they have also supported the movement.

The statement reads thus:
”When we started in 2014, we had a plan to change the perception of African start-ups in the global space. We believed as Africans, we could create something great and we set out with a N4m loan from a bank and we started trading, going from door to door begging for work and relentlessly grew the business employing and empowering over 200 Nigeriand today directly or indirectly. We have supported many upcoming businesses, artistes, people in need as giving back to our community has always been our passion (all this can be verified).


All our achievements thus far have come from hardwork, sweat, and determination of our work force and everything Loatsad has been doing has been open, all taxes are remitted and payments to agencies and regulatory bodies have been timely, so we can be proud to say we are contributing to the growth of the industry and Nation.

When the ”EndSars” and ”say no to police brutality” protests started from day one we wholly suported the movement and used all our platforms to promote the messages (I believe the promoters can verify this information) as we believed in the cause.

On Tuesday when the curfew was announced we heeded the governor’s warnings and didn’t want our staff in any danger, hence by 3pm our staff had been ordered to leave the site and the board was switched off based on the governor’s curfew request.

We had no idea what was going to happen and we feel the same aguish, pain and shock at the events that unfolded and our hearts and prayers go out to the victims and families of this ungodly act.

We believe in this movement and that it was the start of the change our generation needed to move our country forward and we will continue to support the youths of this great nation.

Continue Reading

Trending