The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) said on Monday that they were “shocked” by a life ban on former national coach Samson Siasia by FIFA for bribery, vowing to overturn it.
On Friday, the governing body of world football banned Siasia, 52, from football, following a long-running investigation into convicted match-fixer, Wilson Raj Perumal.
After his arrest, Perumal collaborated with investigators.
FIFA’s Ethics Committee found Siasia “guilty of having accepted that he would receive bribes in relation to the manipulation of matches in violation of the FIFA Code of Ethics.”
Siasia, a striker, played 51 times for Nigeria and had two short spells as national coach.
Acting NFF President Seyi Akinwunmi said in a statement that the FIFA report had been given to the body’s lawyers “to study and provide legal advice to the federation,” he said, adding that Siasia “gave his all for Nigeria.”
The statement read:
“The NFF was shocked to learn of the investigation and the subsequent decision by the FIFA Ethics Committee (Adjudicatory Chamber) placing a life ban on Mr Samson Siasia.”
“Siasia is a football legend but most importantly he is a Nigerian”, he said.
“We respect the FIFA processes”, said Akinwunmi but added, “the least we as a Federation can do is empathise with him at this time make ourselves available to him and hope that in some way he is able to clear his name.”
CAF denies audit allegations
African football governing body rejects claims of fraudulent transactions
The Confederation of African Football [CAF], has said the findings of an audit that concluded it was unreliable and untrustworthy are “unfounded”.
Details of the audit, by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), came out during the week. The audit questioned the body’s accounting, its governance, and its payments, which it found to be “unreliable and not trustworthy,” amongst its findings.
The audit also highlighted transactions totaling more than $20m (£15.4m) which either have “little or no supporting documentation” or were considered “higher risk”.
CAF released a statement addressing the audit and what it claims are “unfounded allegations contained in the report,” following an Executive Committee meeting in Doha on Friday.
It said officials from PwC were invited to the meeting but had “failed to make it.”
The statement specifically sought to address three areas in which questions had been raised: support payments made for the funerals of “individuals who have served African football”; the use of development funds linked to the FIFA Forward project; a deal with the little-known gym equipment maker Tactical Steel to supply sportswear.
CAF said the funeral payments were “acts of solidarity in support of families”, specifically naming the family of senior Kenyan football official Hussein Swaleh, who died in the 2019 Ethiopian Airlines plane crash.
It also said the use of FIFA Forward funds had been “strictly governed by procedures set by FIFA.” PwC’s audit had reviewed just under $10m of FIFA Forward payments to CAF and found only five of the 40 payments “appeared to be aligned to purpose” while the rest, totaling some $8.3m, either had “little or no supporting documentation” or were considered “unusual/higher risk”.
The Tactical Steel deal, into which the PwC report recommended an investigation, was also addressed, though CAF said only that “the procedures are before various jurisdictions” and that it was “ready to provide the relevant justification for the matter as previously authorized by the CAF Executive Committee.”
Mali’s Moussa Marega suffers racist abuse
FC Porto striker walked off the pitch after he was subjected to racist abuse from opposition fans
Mali international Moussa Marega walked off the pitch midway through his side’s win at Vitoria Guimaraes, saying he was subjected to racist abuse from fans.
The former Esperance de Tunis forward started to walk towards the exit in the 69th minute, nine minutes after scoring what would prove the winner in Porto’s 2-1 victory.
He pointed his thumbs down and also raised his middle fingers to the crowd.
Team-mates and opposition players tried to persuade him to stay on, but he was eventually substituted.
Marega in an Instagram post, said the home supporters “who come to the stadium to make racist screams” were “idiots”.
Coach of FC Porto, Sergio Conceicao said: “We are a family regardless of nationality, skin colour, hair colour. We are human, we deserve respect. What happened here is unfortunate.
“We are completely indignant about what happened. I know the passion that exists for Vitoria and I think most of the fans do not see themselves in the same attitude of some people who have insulted Moussa since the warm-up.”
Porto’s match report on their website described it as “a sad situation that should make the Guimaraes club and Portuguese football blush with shame”.
Team-mates including Alex Telles, Sergio Oliveira and Ivan Marcano all tried to stop Marega walking off the pitch, grabbing the Malian player around the waist – but he pushed everyone aside on his way to the tunnel.
Marega spent the 2016-17 campaign on loan at Vitoria, scoring 15 goals in 25 games.
Kaizer Chiefs to appeal FIFA transfer ban
PSL club banned from signing players in the next two transfer windows
South Africa’s Kaizer Chiefs have announced that they will lodge an appeal before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in accordance to article 58 par. 1 of the FIFA Statutes.
This move comes after the FIFA Disciplinary Committee banned Amakhosi from signing any new players in the next two transfer windows.
The ban was imposed by the world football governing body after Fosa Juniors of Madagascar logged a complaint stating that midfielder Andriamirado ‘Dax’ Andrianarimanana had signed a contract with them before moving to the Absa Premiership giants in 2018.
Chiefs and ‘Dax’ dispute this claim, but were found guilty nonetheless. Chiefs were duly banned from signing any new players in the next two transfer windows, while they have also been ordered according to Times Live to pay Fosa Juniors R640,000 in compensation, plus interest.
Dax has been suspended for four months and will duly miss the remainder of the 2019-20 season as things stand.
The 28-year-old managed just 16 appearances for Chiefs before joining Black Leopards on-loan in August.
2Baba Releases New Album “Warriors”
Exporting African sounds into Italy
Netflix Announces First Original Nigerian Series
South Africa Unions Reject Government Plan to Review Pay
Italian diagnosed with coronavirus in Nigeria, health condition ‘stable’
Nigerian startup orders fifty A220 planes from Airbus, dumps Boeing 737 Max
Selmor Mtukudzi to release new album
Foremost Nigerian broadcast equipment supplier, Lucky Omoluwa is dead
Elephant-lovers mourn the death of Tim, Africa’s largest elephant
Tanzania arrests fleeing pastor over death of 20 people in church stampede
Will Uber and others replace Lagos’ yellow cabs?
Vimbai Chats with Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane on SA Tourism
Abi Owolawi Chats with Vumile Msweli on Human Resources
#NCExclusive with Rotimi Akinoso of “Power”
2019 Southern Sun Ikoyi Golf Tournament Press Briefing
Politics1 week ago
‘Nigeria too important to be on US travel ban’, seeks removal -Interior minister
Politics1 week ago
Lesotho Prime Minister resigns, to leave office in July
Business News1 week ago
Absa Kenya signs almost 5 million customers on virtual platform
Politics1 week ago
Ex-president dos Santos defends son over $500m embezzlement in Angola
East Africa Politics News1 week ago
President Kiir, Machar agree to form South Sudan unity government on Saturday
Feature News1 week ago
A continent’s proactiveness in the case of a global epidemic
Politics6 days ago
Togolese security forces invade home of opposition challenger in presidential polls
Politics5 days ago
Gnassingbe wins fourth term as Togolese president amidst rigging allegations