Connect with us

News

Nigeria Military Arrests Boko Haram’s IEDs Maker In North East

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters says the troops of Operation Fire Ball have overrun some Boko Haram/Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists and arrested their Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) makers in Nigeria’s North East.

The Acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Brig.-Gen. Benard Onyeuko, disclosed this in a statement on Sunday.

He said that the troops operating under Operation Lafiya Dole have continued aggressive clearance operations to identified terrorists’ enclaves.

Onyeuko said the troops on Nov. 11 embarked on an aggressive Fighting Patrol to clear Boko Haram elements in their hideout in Ladantar Village in Borno following a credible intelligence.

He said the troops subsequently engaged the terrorists with an overwhelming fire power forcing the terrorists to withdraw in disarray.

He said the troops also gave hot pursuit and inflicted heavy casualties on the fleeing terrorists, killing two and captured one of their IEDs experts.

According to him, equipment captured includes one box of service tools and one gas cylinder suspected to be for making IED.

Onyeuko disclosed that troops of Army Super Camp 19 Bitta successfully repelled the Boko Haram terrorists who attempted to infiltrate the heavily fortified camp.

He said that the troops forced the terrorists to withdraw in disarray due to superior firepower.

He added that the troops of 26 Task Force Brigade Garrison deployed in Gwoza on Nov. 8 observed terrorists advancing to their location in four gun trucks and an unconfirmed number of foot soldiers.

According to him, the gallant troops engaged the marauding criminals with heavy firepower neutralising one suicide bomber while others flee in confusion.

Troops of 192 Battalion deployed in Gwoza also foiled an attempted attack on their location the same day.

“After the brief encounter, the criminals escaped with gunshot wounds as traces of blood of dragged casualties were seen during exploitation.

“However, the valiant troops captured the following; one AK 47 Rifle, one AK 47 Rifle Cover, four rounds of Light Machine Gun, 15 rounds of fabricated 7.62mm and one AK 47 Rifle magazine

“Others include two Rocket Propelled Grenade bombs and 66 rounds of PKT, two rounds of Brownie Machine Gun, 7.62mm links and one Dane Gun.

“The troops of Operation Fire Ball are hereby commended for their resilience, gallantry and professionalism exhibited since the beginning of the Operation.

“They are equally encouraged not to rest on their oars but build on the successes recorded so far.

“The entire populace of the North East region are hereby assured of the Nigerian military high command determination to finally rout the remnants of BHT/ISWAP criminals from their enclaves in this zone,” he said.

News

Rice Farmers’ Murder: Ezekwesili Calls For Nigeria’s President Buhari Medical Report

Published

on

Former World Bank President, Dr Obiageli Ezekwesili, on Tuesday called for full disclosure on the state of mental and physical health of President Muhammadu Buhari, following the killing of 43 farmers in Borno State.

News Central reports that the farmers were tied and their throats slit by members of the Boko Haram insurgents on November 2 at Koshobe community in Borno State.

Ezekwesili, in a statement by her Publicist and Spokesperson, Mr. Ozioma Ubabukoh, said she’s making the call following the recurrent failure of Buhari’s administration to provide a credible response to the spate of massacres in the country.

She said the frequency with which citizens were killed, without any form of prevention by the security establishment, which the President supervises as Commander-in-Chief, nor any prosecution and judicial consequences against perpetrators of heinous murders, raises questions on whether he was still able to discharge the powers and duties of his office.

Ezekwesili said Buhari’s failure to decisively tackle the persistent killing of Nigerians had further emboldened pre-judicial and terrorist activities within the Nigerian territory, thereby necessitating her call.

The former World Bank Vice President said citizens should collectively demand for a credible independent medical panel to investigate and disclose the state of the President’s physical and mental health to Nigerians in order to determine his fitness to continue in office.

“I think that at this stage and depth of fragility of the Nigeria state, privacy has to yield ground to our right-to-know as citizens, the state of health of President Muhammadu Buhari.

“The state of affairs in the country is dangerous enough for citizens while the President appears incapable of providing effective leadership necessary to secure, stabilise the country and protect lives.”

“We really must assess the physical or mental capability of the President to carry on the duties of his office,” Ezekwesili said.

According to the 2019 Presidential candidate, the conditions of Nigeria “have become too grave for us all to sit still and watch a train wreck in the making.”

She added, “citizens can collectively push for an independent panel to help us make the critical medical determination of the state of mind and body of our President.

“As an extremely concerned citizen, I hereby demand for a #MedicalPanelOnBuhari since we obviously cannot trust the State House physician to provide us accurate information. It is a reasonable demand now for citizens to have full disclosure on the state of health of Buhari and I hope that more people from all regions of the country will speak up.”

Boko Haram militants slaughtered 22 farmers working on their irrigation fields near Maiduguri in two separate attacks on October 12 and 25, .

The latest beheading of about 43 (110 according to figures from United Nations) farmers/fishermen on November 28 occurred barely 48 hours after the Sultan of Sokoto, Mohammed Sa’ad Abubakar III, raised the alarm that the North had been taken over by bandits who kill and maim at will.

Continue Reading

News

Namibia Begins Economic Recovery Plan In 2021

Published

on

Namibia warns against second wave of covid 19

Namibian President Hage Geingob on Tuesday said his government will present an economic recovery plan by February 2021.

He said the plan is aimed at reviving the Namibian economy that is struggling from the effects of (COVID-19).

Geingob said at the last decision-making cabinet of the year that it was crucial for the country to revive the economy.

“We must revive the economy. We must create jobs for our young people in the critical sectors.

“These include the present-day green and blue economies. We must deliver better services to our people. These are vital undertakings,” he said.

The President pointed out that a safe and peaceful environment is central to the country’s development and survival.

“Our success depends on our ability to work harder and smarter in unison and not in silos. Peace, stability and rule of law are condition sine qua non for development to take place,” he said.

According to the Bank of Namibia, the country’s domestic economy is estimated to contract by 7.8 per cent this year compared to a lesser contraction of 1.1 per cent in 2019

Continue Reading

News

News In 60 |1 – 12 – 2020

Published

on

Catch up with Newscentral’s Sulaiman Aledeh on the major stories from Africa today.

Continue Reading

Trending