Connect with us

Health

Nigeria: Six Contract COVID-19 In Lagos Boarding School

Published

on

Lagos State Government says it has confirmed more positive COVID-19 cases in another secondary boarding school in the state.

The state Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, disclosed the new infections in a statement on Friday in Lagos.

Abayomi said that a staff of the school fell ill, received first aid treatment at the school clinic, but later tested positive for COVID-19 at the Lagos State Biobank on Nov. 2.

He noted that contact tracing revealed that a student and four contacts of the staff member were positive for COVID-19.

“Most of the infected persons are predominantly asymptomatic, while some have mild symptoms,” Abayomi said

The commissioner said that the state COVID-19 Incident Command System through the Emergency Operation Centre (EOC) was investigating the incident

“We would like to assure members of the public and stakeholders of the school that the situation is completely under control.

“Steps are being taken to contain the spread within the school and reduce exposure to the outside community.

“All parents are being contacted first through the PTA and a family zoom call is being arranged to further allay their fears,” he said.

According to him, COVID-19 presents with very mild symptoms in children and teenagers, compared to other age groups.

Abayomi, however, warned that there was risk of infected children transmitting the disease to adults who they interact with daily, and who might be at higher risk of severe disease and death.

“Students who test positive are to be isolated in the school premises and, if unwell, will be admitted in one of the accredited isolation centres in Lagos.

“Students are discouraged from going home to avoid infecting members of their families,” he said.

According to him, the Ministry of Health and NCDC are working closely with the Ministry of Education through a joint approach to manage the outbreak in the school.

He said that members of the state EOC, NCDC and their counterparts in the Ministry of Education had been deployed to the school to provide strategic interventions and support.

Abayomi said that the support include psychosocial, infection prevention control, medical monitoring and risk communication experts to further enlighten affected people.

“COVID-19 is still very much with us and we must strive to prioritise the safety of all, including students and teachers, by adhering strictly to prevention protocols and guidelines issued by the government to prevent its spread,” he said.

He advised residents to observe and practice high standard of personal and environmental hygiene by using face masks in public places, hand washing and maintaining physical distance to help prevent the spread of the infection.

Abayomi advised residents to call the 08000EKOMED or 08000356633 toll free line, if they notice any sign or symptoms of COVID-19, which include fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue or loss of taste or smell.

Lagos State had on Oct.16, disclosed that 181 students and staff of a boarding school in Lekki, tested positive to COVID-19 infection.

The cases were discovered after a 14-year-old SS1 female student fell ill on Oct. 3, was sent home after receiving first aid at the school clinic, and tested positive to COVID-19 on Oct. 6 in one of the accredited private labs in Lagos.

COVID-19 surveillance and case investigation in the school detected 181 positive cases among students and staff out of the 441 population in the school.

Health

Kenya Records 810 New Coronavirus Infections

Published

on

Kenya has recorded 810 new coronavirus cases, the East African country’s health ministry announced on Wednesday.

The Ministry of Health said the cases increased infections in the country to 79,322 since March.

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said eight patients had succumbed to the virus, raising fatalities in the country to 1,417 since April.

He said there were 1,198 patients admitted in various health facilities across the countrry.

“7,169 are on home-based isolation and care,” he said in a statement. “Forty-nine patients are in the Intensive Care Unit, thirty-one of whom are on ventilatory support, and fourteen on supplementary oxygen,” Kagwe said.

Kenya has experienced a surge in the number of infections since September, in what threatens plans to reopen schools in January next year.

Continue Reading

Health

Nigeria Records 56 New Infections, Discharges 165 Patients

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre For Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed 56 new infections of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country.

The NCDC made this known via its verified website on Monday.

It said that the infections brought the total number of cases in the country to 66,439.

The NCDC said that the new infections were from nine states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The public health agency also announced that 165 patients were discharged from isolation centres across the country.

The NCDC added that Kaduna State reported the highest daily figure of infections followed by FCT and Lagos with 18, 17 and 6 cases respectively.

Other states with new infections were Plateau-5, Kano-3, Kwara-2, Yobe-2, Ekiti-1, Niger-1 and Rivers-1.

The public health agency said that a multi-sectoral national Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) was activated at Level 3 which continued to coordinate the national response activities.

The NCDC also said that one death was recorded in the country.

It noted that “till date, 66,439 cases have been confirmed, 62,241 cases have been discharged and 1,168 deaths recorded in 36 states of the federation and the FCT.”

Continue Reading

Health

Libya Records 650 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Now 78,000

Published

on

The Libyan government has announced 650 new COVID-19 cases.

The fresh cases, announced by the National Center for Disease Control of Libya, brings the total infections in the North African country to 78,473.

678 patients have recovered and 13 others died during the same period, raising the total recoveries to 49,592 and the national death toll to 1,102.

Since the first case was reported in March, Libyan authorities have taken a series of precautionary measures against the pandemic, including closing the country’s borders, shutting down schools and mosques, banning public gatherings, and imposing a curfew.

According to Stephanie Williams, the Acting Special Representative of the United Nations (UN) Secretary General in Libya, the first two weeks of November saw a 22-per cent increase in the number of cases, with Libya’s biggest cities – Tripoli, Misrata, and Benghazi – witnessing the largest increases.

Continue Reading

Trending