Connect with us

Southern Africa

Policemen Accused Of South African Teen Murder Denied Bail2 minutes read

Published

on

A South African court has denied three police officers on trial for allegedly killing Eldorado Park teenager Nathaniel Julies bail.

Magistrate David Mhango decision on Monday brought shouts of jubilation and clapping of hands to those at the Protea Magistrate’s Court.

The policemen – Simon Ndyalvane, 46, constable Caylene Whiteboy, 23, and sergeant Foster Netshiongolo – failed to forward exceptional circumstances as to why they needed to be released on bail, the Magistrate said.

Ndyalvane and Whiteboy face charges of murder, discharging of a firearm in a public place, being in possession of prohibited ammunition and defeating the ends of justice.

Netshiongolo has been charged with defeating the ends of justice and being in possession of prohibited ammunition.

Last week, Whiteboy admitted in her affidavit read out by her lawyer, Jeff Maluleke, she was the one who fired the fatal shot.

She, however, alleged Ndyalvane, who is her senior officer, instructed her to pull the trigger.

Whiteboy claims when she fired the gun, she did know it was loaded with live ammunition.

Sixteen years old Julies was allegedly shot by a police officer in Eldorado Park. The officer later dumped him at Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, where he died. His death sparked protests and a clash between residents and the police.

Speaking of the incident, Julius mother, Bridgette, said the officers acted “like they were killing a dog.”

“I went to identify him and to find him in that condition. It was so devastating. It was like they were killing a dog.

“On his chest, it looked muddy with blood and I was told that he was bubbling blood through his mouth and nose.

“My sweet loving boy is gone. Police should be protecting us and we must trust them but when such things happen it cuts deep.”

In giving his verdict, Mhango said Nathaniel died because he had been shot by Whiteboy and the teenager was not armed at the time.

“One can’t suspect that it was case of mistaken identity, this was a deliberate act to shoot the deceased,” he said.

Mhango also said Netshiongolo had been booked off sick on the day in questions. However, he took orders from Ndyalvane to go and plant ammunition at the scene of the crime and cover Nathaniel’s blood with soil.

“He was aware he was tampering with scene of crime

“He was not supposed to engage himself with any work activities on that day as he was sick,” he said.

Mhango said there was a likelihood the three would interfere with State witnesses should they be released on bail. Another reason he was denying them bail, he said, was because the community was also demanding justice.

The matter return to court on November 6.

News

Nigerians In South Africa Protest Killing Of #EndSARS Protesters

Published

on

Thousands of Nigerians based in South Africa on Wednesday took to the streets of Praetoria in solidarity with youths in Nigeria who have been protesting police brutality and misgovernance in the last two weeks.

Led by the President of Nigeria Union South Africa (NUSA), Adetola Olubajo, they called on President Muhammadu Buhari, Inspector-General of Police and Service Chiefs to stand down the army and the police that were actually using excessive force so that there would not be more casualties.

The protesters marched to the High Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in Arcadia, Pretoria, where the handed over a Memorandum to the high commissioner for onward transmission to the Presidency.

Part of the memorandum contained a 23-point list of what the youths want the government to do before they would call off the strike.

Olubajo said their protest, which had Nigerians from many provinces of that country, was peaceful and that another was organised in Cape Town where the High Commission is situated.

“The Nigerians in South Africa are standing in solidarity with the youth in Nigeria who have been protesting in the past two weeks.

“We have submitted a memorandum to the Presidency, the Senate and the House of Representatives, and we expressed our displeasure at the way the government is using the army to disperse peaceful protesters.

“It’s the right of every citizen to protest, and the protest has been peaceful until the army decided to open live fire on the protesters.

“We urge President Muhammadu Buhari and top security officers like the Inspector-General of Police and Service Chiefs to please stand down the army and the police that were actually using excessive force so that there would not be more casualties,’’ Olubajo said.

He said the government should listen to the youth and come out with a genuine roadmap and actions that would enable youths to trust them and believe that they are solving their problems.

“We are aware that government cannot solve all the problems just like that like a magician, but it needs to have genuine commitment that will enable the youth to trust the words of the government.

“And one of their demands is that the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (F-SARS) should be disbanded and we have watched with consternation and followed the unpleasant scenarios in our country.

“Something should be done in order not to aggravate the situation. Government should carefully listen to the youth and critically analyse the current demands as it is elsewhere around the world.’’

Olubajo said the youth had expressed their frustrations at misgovernance and the insensitivity of the government to many burning national issues such as the strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and police brutality among others.

“Government should comprehensively look at these demands and address them as soon as possible.

“The Nigerian community in South Africa pledges its support and solidarity with Nigerian youths,’’ he said.

Continue Reading

Southern Africa

Warder Caught Smuggling Drugs, Cellphones Into South African Prison

Published

on

A South African prison official was on Friday arrested for trying to smuggle contraband into a correctional centre in the country.

A statement by the department of correctional services in the Eastern Cape said the incident happened at St Albans Medium B Correctional Centre.

It said in a statement the alleged incident happened on Friday morning during a routine search at the entrance to the centre.

National Task Team (NTT) security officials were conducting a routine search of people at the access control gate when they noticed the vehicle.

The official approached the gate, but then turned the car around and drove away when he noticed that searches were being conducted, the department said.

Instruction was given to NTT officials to chase the vehicle and escort him back to the access control.

The drugs and items confiscated included 120 Mandrax tablets, various telephone cellphone starter packs, mobile phones, earphones, cellphone chargers and USB cables. A case was opened at SAPS Kabega Park.

The official was subsequently arrested on Friday and he is currently in police custody. He is due to appear in court on Monday.

“Any person, whether it is a member of the public or a departmental official, who colludes with offenders in the contravention of this mandate will be brought to book.

“We would like to applaud the commitment of the departmental officials who were not hesitant to apprehend one of their own.

“This speaks highly of the integrity and their commitment to service excellence,” the department said.

Continue Reading

News

Somalia Gets $9.26M For 300,000 Flood Victims

Published

on

The Somalia Humanitarian Fund (SHF) has released $9.26m to scale up priority life-saving assistance to nearly 300,000 people affected by floods in Somalia.

Adam Abdelmoula, the Humanitarian Coordinator for Somalia, said this in a statement issued on Thursday in Mogadishu.

Abdelmoula said a total of $8.18 million will be allocated towards priority interventions to provide food assistance, non-food items and emergency shelter, support for health facilities as well as Water services, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).

Abdelmoula said $1.08 million of the allocation would support integrated health and nutrition activities as well as integrated education, child protection and WASH activities.

“Funding from the SHF will enable aid organisations to scale up and sustain life-saving assistance to the most vulnerable flood-affected communities in the worst-affected areas in the country,” he said.

SHF is a multi-donor country-based pooled mechanism created in 2010 to allocate funding for the most urgent life-saving interventions in Somalia.

SHF funds will also support critical protection services with emphasis on child protection and gender-based violence as well as support national and international non-governmental partners operating in Banadir, Hiraan, Lower Juba, Middle Shabelle and Lower Shabelle regions.

“As the Deyr season persists, continuous donor funding will be needed to boost humanitarian operations and support recovery across Somalia,” Abdelmoula said.

He said the funds would also support the Logistics Cluster to ensure timely delivery of essential humanitarian goods and personnel in hard-to-reach and underserved areas.

According to the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the UN (FAO), more than 650,000 Somalis had been forced to flee their homes since January due to flash and riverine flooding across Somalia.

Abdelmoula said vulnerable communities, due to persistent climatic shocks, locust infestation and the COVID-19 pandemic, are already facing severe food and water scarcity.

He said that those communities were at risk of deadly communicable diseases such as cholera outbreak and acute watery diarrhea (AWD).

“With limited resources and funding, the humanitarian agencies in Somalia are overstretched and in need of urgent support to provide timely and deliberate response,” he added.

According to the UN, the 2020 Deyr rainy season has started with moderate to significantly heavy rains reported in Puntland and central regions of Hiraan, Bakool, Galgaduud, Mudug, Nugaal and southern areas of Sool region.

It said the communities living in the riverine areas along Juba and Shabelle rivers are at high risk of flooding as heavy rains are expected to continue in November and December.

Continue Reading

Trending