Sudan court scraps lashes for 9 women protesters: lawyer

They were arrested on Thursday for participating in a “banned demonstration”
Sudanese protesters chant slogans during an anti-government demonstration in Khartoum’s twin city of Omdurman on March 10, 2019. – Sudanese security agents detained several opposition leaders, witnesses said, as police confronted protesters trying to march on parliament against a nationwide state of emergency. (Photo by – / AFP)

A Sudanese court on Tuesday overturned flogging sentences for nine women protesters, for taking part in protests against President Omar al-Bashir’s three-decade rule, a defence lawyer said.

The emergency appeals court scrapped a verdict issued on Saturday by a lower court which had sentenced the women to 20 lashes and a month in prison each.

“The appeals court cancelled the punishment of flogging the women,” defence lawyer Enaam Atieg told AFP.

The court ruled that the women had already spent enough time in jail and ordered their immediate release, she said.

They were arrested on Thursday for participating in a “banned demonstration” earlier in the day in the capital’s eastern district of Burri, a site of regular protests against Bashir’s rule.

Your Friends Also Read:  Nigeria’s Buhari And Ghana’s Akufo-Addo Meet

The authorities have set up special emergency courts to investigate violations of a nationwide state of emergency, imposed by Bashir on February 22 after an initial crackdown failed to suppress the protests.

On Monday, Sudanese parliament approved a six-month state of emergency across the country instead of a year as originally declared by Bashir.

The president also banned all unauthorised rallies and gave sweeping powers to security forces for carrying out raids and searches.

Bashir has dissolved the federal and provincial governments, and appointed 16 army officers and two security officers from the National Intelligence and Security Service as governors of the country’s 18 provinces.

Your Friends Also Read:  Ex-president dos Santos defends son over $500m embezzlement in Angola

Protests initially broke out in Sudan on December 19 following a government decision to triple the price of bread.

They quickly mushroomed into nationwide demonstrations against Bashir’s rule, with crowds calling on the 75-year-old leader to step down.

Bashir himself has acknowledged that the protests were led by youths, the majority of them women.

Officials say 31 people have died in protest-related violence so far, while Human Rights Watch says at least 51 people have been killed including children and medics


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Ondodecides2020 : Incumbent Ondo Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu Votes

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
0
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
FIFA bans Tanzanian referee for life

Somalia Football Federation boss summoned by FIFA

Next Article

Tanzania’s mining sector to relax protectionist regulations

Related Posts
Powered by Live Score & Live Score App