Rebels Massacre 50 Civilians in Eastern Congo

Rebels Massacre 50 Civilians in Eastern Congo (News Central TV)

The M23 rebels have refuted claims made by the military forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo on Thursday that a massacre this week in the eastern town of Kishishe resulted in the deaths of 50 civilians.

Months of clashes between the Congo’s army and the M23, a Tutsi-led militia, have been taking place in the unrest-ridden east of the nation.

“The M23 Movement rejects the baseless allegations made against it in Kishishe,” the group’s political spokesperson, Lawrence Kanyuka, said in a statement.

“The M23 reminds the international and national community that it has never targeted civilian populations.”

Although they could not provide specifics, the United Nations and a U.S. official said they also had information about civilian deaths on Tuesday in Kishishe, North Kivu province. Both of them however urged further research.

Your Friends Also Read:  Video: Curfew In Sokoto As Protesters Of Students’ Arrest Go Irate

“We are deeply saddened by the massacre of civilians in Kishishe, which could constitute a war crime,” Stephanie Miley, charge d’affaires for the U.S. embassy in Kinshasa, said on Twitter.

According to a representative for U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, the organisation had received complaints of serious violations of human rights during battles in Kishishe between the M23 and regional militias.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres

Experts from the Congo and the U.N. claim that Rwanda, a neighbor, helps the M23; Rwanda has always denied this. Last week, the two nations participated in discussions in Angola aimed at resolving the situation.

One of their agreements stated that if the M23 would not stop fighting and leave its positions, a regional force from the East African Community, EAC, would intervene.

Your Friends Also Read:  Moroccan court to pass verdict on suspected killers of Scandinavian hikers

Early this year, the EAC began sending troops into eastern Congo to aid in the conflict with various armed groups. A battalion of 700 South Sudanese soldiers would be sent to join the regional force, according to a spokesman for the South Sudanese army on Thursday.

The two largest cities in the east of the Congo, Goma and Bukavu, saw large crowds of people protesting the deterioration of the security situation earlier on Thursday.


All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from News Central TV.
Your Friends Also Read:  Ethiopia Rights Body Investigate Uniformed Fighters Abusing a Boy 

Contact: digital@newscentral.ng

Total
1
Shares

Leave a Reply

Previous Article
Crucial South African Meeting On President Ramaphosa's Fate Postponed

Opposition Demand Snap Polls Over Ramaphosa Scandal

Next Article
Genk Rules Out January Exit For Nigeria's Paul Onuachu (News Central TV)

Genk Rules Out January Exit for Nigeria's Paul Onuachu

Related Posts